One more enhancement for the 1:48 Tamiya F-4B (and future others)

Friends,

here is my latest release, a stabilator upgrade set for the 1:48 Tamiya F-4 (hopefully a family in the not too distant future).

The set replaces the thick plastic pivot anchor cover plates with thin photo etch parts and brings this area more in peeping with the scale fidelity of the rest of the kit.

By using this set you will also build the whole tail section before painting, not like the Tamiya design where you have to insert the lower tail part after painting and are left with seams running across the circular plate guide tracks.

You will have to separate the stabilator part into left and right, but included are alignment tabs to help get the stabs into a matching set again after completion. The self adhesive masks are alignment templates that mark out the exact position of the PE tracks.

As always, comprehensive instructions are included.

Set.jpg

Stabs%20Inst%20Upper.jpg

Stabs%20Inst%20Lower2.jpg

Prepped%20Stab.jpg

Mask%20applied.jpg

Direkt link:

https://www.hypersonicmodels.com/product/f-4-phantom-stabilator-upgrade-tamiya

Many thanks for looking!

J

My apologies - the stock counter for this item was not set so it remained at zero and showed "out of stock" in my web shop.

It should have been available of course. I've corrected the mistake and it's now ready to order 🙂

Cheers!

Jeffrey

Edited by JeffreyK

It is necessary to cut apart the one-piece stabilator part into left and right. The provided small resin parts are the new mounting pins (as the kit's pins are mounded onto the cover plates) and guide pieces that automatically re-align the stabs with each other when assembling them at the end. They're not strictly necessary but make things simpler. Inside, everything remains stock kit, even the poly cap in the mounting hole.

On the fuselage, you sand down the raised circular rails which are replaced with PE. The masks are only used as a placement guide for the PE rails. Everything will be glued together before painting and the stabs and cover plates added last. That makes the painting and weathering process a lot easier. The Tamiya lowe tail insert fits very well, but still, having to install this after everything is alraedy finished is not ideal. And you have four little seams you can't get rid of.

J

1 minute ago, B2Blain said:

Aren't those out of stock?

As sales for these trickled off I produce them at a low priority. I also have a current trade order for them so I neglected stocking my shop for a bit...They're not out of production.