On 2/25/2023 at 7:27 PM, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Yep. We actually designed a few Vandy 1 black Superhornets for them back a number of years ago. Deciding now if or how many of the designs we’ll include along with the actual that was painted this month. 
Brian 

I'll probably get jumped all over for saying this but, here goes. IMO you and, other decal guys, should really only put one or two jets onto a single sheet with all the data. This way the decals are more spaced out and, easier to cut out. Plus honestly how many people use all those decals that are on a sheet with two or more jets on them ??

You know I love ya bud and appreciate all you do for the hobby and I think highly of your work but, just my two cents.

Steve

If I may,

I believe the reason why they put so many different markings on a sheet is so that they can reach a broader audience and thus sell more sheets. If you only put markings for two different aircraft on a sheet, you will only sell the sheet to those looking for either one or both of those markings, by putting more markings on the sheet they (the decal guys) will reach a much wider audience and thus have a higher chance of selling the sheet.

I mean, how many people are looking for decals for "Brand X" and "Brand Y"? Now, if you put markings for Brand A, B, D, G, M, P and S on that sheet you just expedentually increase the chances of someone buying the sheet.

I think it is a (smart) business decision, after all, even though the decal folks love the hobby they still are in it to support their plastic addiction (i.e. make money).

Just my $0.02

8 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

If I may,

I believe the reason why they put so many different markings on a sheet is so that they can reach a broader audience and thus sell more sheets. If you only put markings for two different aircraft on a sheet, you will only sell the sheet to those looking for either one or both of those markings, by putting more markings on the sheet they (the decal guys) will reach a much wider audience and thus have a higher chance of selling the sheet.

I mean, how many people are looking for decals for "Brand X" and "Brand Y"? Now, if you put markings for Brand A, B, D, G, M, P and S on that sheet you just expedentually increase the chances of someone buying the sheet.

I think it is a (smart) business decision, after all, even though the decal folks love the hobby they still are in it to support their plastic addiction (i.e. make money).

Just my $0.02

Valid point. I see this side of it too, I'm just not a fan of it.

I guess I'm just old school looking for "Brand X" and "Brand Y".

Steve

Good points and all valid. The other reason is pure cost. Decal sheets don’t cost that much more to go slightly bigger. And the amount of art doesn’t affect the price much. So we’re paying almost the same. But then with a small sheet and limited options, we have a very small market. When sheets were cheap to print, that was fine. But now. It’s so expensive and the margin is so small, we would be out of business in 2 sheets. I do go a bit overboard sometimes wedging more options in, but if we’re paying for the space, I like to use it. I don’t do locating numbers most of the time due to the amount of work that adds for me. But I probably should. And it takes up more space. A $3000 sheet with 1 or 2 jets would be death. But with 8-10, it works out. Hope that helps. 

fwiw, we try and include every marking on the jet on every sheet. I’ve stopped doing formation lights and ejection seat markings. And for fine details like that, we did a data sheet. I can’t think of a sheet where I skipped any markings. All the factory stencils are not on 90% of the navy subject we do. 
brian 

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
On 2/27/2023 at 4:19 PM, A-10 LOADER said:

Valid point. I see this side of it too, I'm just not a fan of it.

I guess I'm just old school looking for "Brand X" and "Brand Y".

Steve

If you invested your own money to create your own decal line, I guarantee you'd become a fan of putting more than 1 or 2 options on a sheet. 😁

On 3/3/2023 at 1:19 AM, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Good points and all valid. The other reason is pure cost. Decal sheets don’t cost that much more to go slightly bigger. And the amount of art doesn’t affect the price much. So we’re paying almost the same. But then with a small sheet and limited options, we have a very small market. When sheets were cheap to print, that was fine. But now. It’s so expensive and the margin is so small, we would be out of business in 2 sheets. I do go a bit overboard sometimes wedging more options in, but if we’re paying for the space, I like to use it. I don’t do locating numbers most of the time due to the amount of work that adds for me. But I probably should. And it takes up more space. A $3000 sheet with 1 or 2 jets would be death. But with 8-10, it works out. Hope that helps. 

fwiw, we try and include every marking on the jet on every sheet. I’ve stopped doing formation lights and ejection seat markings. And for fine details like that, we did a data sheet. I can’t think of a sheet where I skipped any markings. All the factory stencils are not on 90% of the navy subject we do. 
brian 

I may be wrong, but don't I remember Microscale pitching a fit the first time you sent in a sheet that "broke the mold" of having just a couple subjects on it? I love the fully packed sheets with a bunch of different options, even though I'll probably never build all of them. The only thing that I ask is that the basic stenciling (nat. insignias, ejection seat triangles, etc.) be included. Not all the kits I build have good stenciling decals. Another idea I'd like to see is what Wolfpack decals used to do. Put multiple subjects on a sheet. I know, it starts veering towards just one marking option for each subject, but I think he did pretty well selling his sheets. What I'd REALLY like is an airwing sheet. Think of those wonderful Gull Gray/White years with all the different aircraft. Oh the possibilities!

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

Another idea I'd like to see is what Wolfpack decals used to do. Put multiple subjects on a sheet. I know, it starts veering towards just one marking option for each subject, but I think he did pretty well selling his sheets.

My first 72nd sheet was all KC-130J's and of the 250 print run, I still have about 100 sheets left. My second 72nd sheet was multiple aircraft and the 250 print run sold out in a few months. My 48th sheets do well enough to stay on the same aircraft theme, but all of my future 72nd sheets will follow the multiple aircraft theme. 

3 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

My first 72nd sheet was all KC-130J's and of the 250 print run, I still have about 100 sheets left. My second 72nd sheet was multiple aircraft and the 250 print run sold out in a few months. My 48th sheets do well enough to stay on the same aircraft theme, but all of my future 72nd sheets will follow the multiple aircraft theme. 

If a may offer an opinion sir,

I think the reason why the KC-130J sheet didn't sell out like the multiple aircraft sheet (FL72002, which I have) is due to the choice of subject and not just because the second sheet had multiple choice.

I don't won't speak for all 1/72 scale modelers but I think the issue is size of the subject, I think most 1/72 scale modelers kind of shy away from large subjects due to a number of reasons, the most common is space limitations. Think of this, the 1/72 scale Monogram B-36, a lot of /72 scale'ers have one in their stash but you rarely see one being built, why, because where do you put that sucker once you have it together! While the C-130 isn't as large as the B-36 the size issue is the same, most 1/72 scale'ers don't have the space to put a large aircraft on their shelf and to hang if from the ceiling kind of doesn't do the model justice.

I'm willing to bet if you take one of your 1/48 scale sheets (say the AH-1Z Skid Kid sheet) and scale it down to 1/72 scale it will sell like hot cakes. I don't have a Zulu in my stash but if you did that sheet in 1/72 scale I'd get the kit just so I can use your sheet, heck, a lot of times I I buy decals I don't have kits for (it's easier to get the kit later than to try to fine the decals when you are ready to build the subject).

I've been told by several 1/48 scale aftermarket decal folks that 1/72 isn't worth doing, that they tried to do a 1/72 scale sheet and it didn't sell well so this leads them to believe the scale is dying. Maybe the issue is the subject they choose to do and not the scale, I wish you, Furball and Fightertown would release your 1/48 scale sheets in 1/72 scale. I would have to get a another book case just to have room for all the new decal sheets I would be buying from you guys!

Just my $0.02, ymmv.

V/R

GW

1 hour ago, GW8345 said:

If a may offer an opinion sir,

I think the reason why the KC-130J sheet didn't sell out like the multiple aircraft sheet (FL72002, which I have) is due to the choice of subject and not just because the second sheet had multiple choice.

I don't won't speak for all 1/72 scale modelers but I think the issue is size of the subject, I think most 1/72 scale modelers kind of shy away from large subjects due to a number of reasons, the most common is space limitations. Think of this, the 1/72 scale Monogram B-36, a lot of /72 scale'ers have one in their stash but you rarely see one being built, why, because where do you put that sucker once you have it together! While the C-130 isn't as large as the B-36 the size issue is the same, most 1/72 scale'ers don't have the space to put a large aircraft on their shelf and to hang if from the ceiling kind of doesn't do the model justice.

I'm willing to bet if you take one of your 1/48 scale sheets (say the AH-1Z Skid Kid sheet) and scale it down to 1/72 scale it will sell like hot cakes. I don't have a Zulu in my stash but if you did that sheet in 1/72 scale I'd get the kit just so I can use your sheet, heck, a lot of times I I buy decals I don't have kits for (it's easier to get the kit later than to try to fine the decals when you are ready to build the subject).

I've been told by several 1/48 scale aftermarket decal folks that 1/72 isn't worth doing, that they tried to do a 1/72 scale sheet and it didn't sell well so this leads them to believe the scale is dying. Maybe the issue is the subject they choose to do and not the scale, I wish you, Furball and Fightertown would release your 1/48 scale sheets in 1/72 scale. I would have to get a another book case just to have room for all the new decal sheets I would be buying from you guys!

Just my $0.02, ymmv.

V/R

GW

I would really like to agree with you. However, my 1/48 KC-130J sheet is almost sold out and I printed 500 of those. Going back to the original subject of this post, I'd be willing to bet for every 1/72nd sheet that would sell, a dozen 48th scale sheets would sell. 

5 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

I would really like to agree with you. However, my 1/48 KC-130J sheet is almost sold out and I printed 500 of those. Going back to the original subject of this post, I'd be willing to bet for every 1/72nd sheet that would sell, a dozen 48th scale sheets would sell. 

There's a difference in preferences and philosophy between 1/72 and 1/48 scale builder's, what works for one scale doesn't mean it will be the same for the other. 😉

Lovelly jet.

With a multiple option decal sheet there is more probabilities I'll enconter more than one interesting option. So this kind of halves the decal sheet cost in my mind.

Even though the reality is the other option will need a brand new kit 😉

• 3 weeks later...