Tamiya 1/32 F-14 vs Trumpeter 1/32 F-14 price difference

Not debating which kit is better, but curious as to why the Tamiya 1/32 F-14 is priced considerably higher than Trumpeter's F-14. The kit is now very old, raised panel lines, no weapons and add another $60.00 on the already $175.00 for a decent cockpit. I realize the Trumpeter has some flaws but I've seen it to be quite an impressive finished build. Recessed panel lines, weapons and good cockpit if chosen. 

Why the large price gap?

1 hour ago, Ed DeVivo said:

Not debating which kit is better, but curious as to why the Tamiya 1/32 F-14 is priced considerably higher than Trumpeter's F-14. The kit is now very old, raised panel lines, no weapons and add another $60.00 on the already $175.00 for a decent cockpit. I realize the Trumpeter has some flaws but I've seen it to be quite an impressive finished build. Recessed panel lines, weapons and good cockpit if chosen. 

Why the large price gap?

I’ve actually had the same shower thoughts.

In my reality, Tamiya’s  1/32 Tomcat should be about $75

10 hours ago, Ed DeVivo said:

Why the large price gap?

It very much depends on where you get it from.
I can get a Tamiya Black knights F-14 for £87 while the cheapest Trumpeter F-14A I can fine is £113.95.

Both prices include shipping.

Sites PlazaJapan for Tamiya and ebay for Trumpeter.

1 hour ago, Ed DeVivo said:

Thanks for the replies gents. I have been wondering for a while why that Tamiya is so pricey... NOW.... If they would only upscale the 1/48I, THEN I'd say it's worth every penny!!

The manufacturing price of a Tamiya kit is quite reasonable, the high retail prices you see come from shipping in low quantities and shocking retail markups.

5 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Whats wrong with the 1:32 Tamiya F-14A?

The main issues are decals for the IPs and side consoles instead of raised instrument/switch details, recessed panel lines on parts like the forward fuselage and wings, but raised panel lines on the main fuselage, poor weapons (except for the AIM-9Ls added in the last Black Knights release), raised panels on the sides of the nose ( looking like scab armor), and a cockpit that hasn’t changed since the very first release, so only the original round radar display in the rear cockpit.  You’d need to get a new cockpit, rescribe parts of the fuselage, and find better weapons on a kit that’s quite expensive for a kit where most of the parts are 40 years old.  Plus, you’d need to spend even more money if you want a B or D since the Tamiya kit was only ever an A model.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

The main issues are decals for the IPs and side consoles instead of raised instrument/switch details, recessed panel lines on parts like the forward fuselage and wings, but raised panel lines on the main fuselage, poor weapons (except for the AIM-9Ls added in the last Black Knights release), raised panels on the sides of the nose ( looking like scab armor), and a cockpit that hasn’t changed since the very first release, so only the original round radar display in the rear cockpit.  You’d need to get a new cockpit, rescribe parts of the fuselage, and find better weapons on a kit that’s quite expensive for a kit where most of the parts are 40 years old.  Plus, you’d need to spend even more money if you want a B or D since the Tamiya kit was only ever an A model.

Oh right.

You know its been so long since I built it I cant remember any of that... But then 25 years+ does tend to cloud the memories, the only think I remember was it had VF-84 decals...

Mind you Ive been using a fair few of these new 3D printed cockpits now. So Im not sure that would bother me.
The Tomcat always had the same weapons. AIM-7, 9, 54 and that was it! What more do you want?

Quinta makes a set for the Tamiya kit, but you’re adding another $50-$60 on top of the price of the kit.  Plus the Quntia set doesn’t include seat belts, so that’s another set to buy.  If you’re doing just a A-A load out, it’s correct in that there are really only three missile types, but the kit missiles are generally simple and undetailed, except for the pair of new tool AIM-9Ls added in the BK boxing (previously there were only AIM-9Ds in the kit, even in the “1994” boxing, and those versions were long out of service by then).

I did a review of the BK boxing 20 years ago for HS, and the kit was $167 then.

http://kits.kitreview.com/f1432rveiewdw_1.htm