Hasegawa 1/48 F-16 - how was it received when it was first released?

1 hour ago, Kurt H. said:

67 issues seems like a staggering number ... but that is Hasegawa's thing. I am really not surprised.  And there F-16 is in service of many nations, with many different special schemes, and with different variants, it adds up quick.  I wonder how many are in a limited edition run.  Then I also wonder how many are in an "evergreen" run like the "F-16CJ  Misawa Japan" 

Yeah but Hasegawa has made a good living from rehashing old kits with new markings for years now.

Wow, thank you @Dave Williams, @habu2, @Planegeek and @PA28Ace for your kind explanation on what the arrestor hook is there for on the USAF birds.

I couldn't even say that I supposed its use was THAT obvious, and now I will look at that hook in my Hasegawa 1/48 F-16B+ kit a lot different. Kind of it needs a bit of attention, anyway.

In another sort of thing now, I observe there's this bickering regarding whether or not Scalemates is right and/or the other way round. Please be cool lest I start issuing notices so that you're visited by the moderating ninjas at night, you hear? 

Cheers,

Gwen 

1 hour ago, Lusitanian said:

Our standards were different 40 years ago.

Indeed! I recall back in 1995, I was barely eight, when I discovered Waldron's placards and instruments, I thought it was the best modelling industry could have ever come up with in regard to detailing cockpits. 😄

What will future bring in say... 30 more years? :hmmm: 

On 2/26/2023 at 10:21 AM, Crash Test Dummy said:

Back then I'd have to spend a day driving into KC and stopping by several shops to see what was "new" to me. Only a couple carried any aftermarket. Only one of those shops is still open and it's primarily an RC shop now with the plastic off in one corner. I haven't been by in probably 5 years.

Are you referring to Hobby Haven on Metcalf? They have a decent selection of plastic, but you're right. RC is what brings in the money. However, Gundam has been selling like hotcakes there. I believe the Hobbytown north of the river is still alive and kicking. I worked at the Hobbytown on Metcalf and 91st from about 1995 until the early 2000's. Good memories.

You are forgetting one hobby shop in the KC area, though. Spruebrothers! Though you can't stroll the aisles, you can order and pick up in the lobby.

2 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Are you referring to Hobby Haven on Metcalf?

Yes Hobby Haven is the one I was referring to it was originally in Metcalf Mall when I started stopping by. Really once Waldo Hobbies closed I shifted to more shopping online. I haven't forgotten about SB, it didn't exist "back in the day" when I would spend a Saturday driving all around KC looking for kits. Even the Hobbytown at 91st and Metcalf was a late addition to the shops I would visit. Driving into SB to pick up in person is not worth the 3 hour round trip for me.

Here's the review from FineScale Modeler, May-June 1984 issue. It reads as follows:

- - - - -

Kit: No. Y001, General Dynamics F-16A Fighting Falcon

Scale: 1/48

Manufacturer: Hasegawa, imported by Minicraft Models, Inc., 1510 West 228th St., Torrance, CA 90501

Price: $11.95.

The latest production changes to the F-16 are reflected in this new kit. The larger horizontal stabilizers are provided along with the standard, blunt-end drop tanks and assorted ECM blisters. The 94-part kit is molded in light gray and tinted clear styrene. The detailing is engraved, a departure from the usual fine, raised detailing of previous Hasegawa kits. The ten-step instructions are printed in Jap-anese and English and include a painting guide with Federal Standard paint num-bers. Decals include markings for two U. S. A. F. aircraft and one Royal Netherlands Air Force machine. One noteworthy part is the two-part canopy which has been accurately molded with a cross section in excess of 180 degrees. Such a molding requires a three-part mold which leaves a seam line through the top of the hinged portion, but it's not a heavy one and was easily sanded and polished away. The cockpit interior is nicely done with a good pilot figure. I had a little trouble getting the pilot's hands to line up with the console-mounted throttle and control stick, and the intake, wings, and radome required work to improve the fit where they joined the fuselage. I left off the landing gear, underwing stores and pylons, horizontal stabilizers, and ejection seat until after painting. I airbrushed the model with Testor Model Master paints. The decals were thick; the edges remained visible, even after two clear overcoats. The completed model scales perfectly with the 1/48 scale drawings from Detail and Scale (No. 48-08). I spent 25 hours on the kit, but I took my time — it could be built in less time without any major snags. Randy Fields

- - - - -

Rob

15 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

Here's the review from FineScale Modeler, May-June 1984 issue. It reads as follows:

- - - - -

Kit: No. Y001, General Dynamics F-16A Fighting Falcon

Thanks. I have the every FSM DVD but could not find this.