I really need help on probably the simplest thing, but for the life of me I cant figure out what Im doing wrong and I'm really about to give up and toss my current build all because I cant figure out what I'm doing wrong with my dullcote.

I'm using Mr Color GX 181 for a semi dull look and using just Jasco Lacquer Thinner. I used to use Tesors but thats gone and I'm not going back. I'm doing 1 part 181 and 2 parts thinner, my psi is at about 10-12 and I keep getting the dust look. I understand the atomizing and I guess thats whats happening, but from everything I've been able to read on I'm not doing anything wrong. I spent an hour the other night cleaning my airbrush out (Iwata Eclipse with .3 needle) and still getting same thing. I'm holding the airbrush only about 3 inches or less from the surface. 

Really, any suggestions short of giving up and collecting football cards would be very, very much appreciated.

Duane

I've been having issues with the store bought brand lacquer thinners recently as well. I only use them for cleaning but, it doesn't seem as strong as it use to be. For my paints, MM enamels, I'll either use enamel reducer or Mr. Color Leveling Thinner. Try mixing your flat coat with some Mr. Color, spray it on a test subject and, see what happens. Good luck.

Steve

A couple of things that I can think that is going on here:

1. Jasco Lacquer thinner is mostly acetone.  So it's with evaporating before it hits your model,

2. Or it is reacting to the paint underneath it.  Acetone can and will eat plastic and take the paint off very quickly. 

3. Mr. Color is an acrylic lacquer, they are slightly different than normal straight lacquers.   It could be reacting with the paint in your airbrush also.  

As suggested above by A-10, get yourself some Mr. Color Leveling thinner.  It's more expensive but works really well with Mr. Color Paints and other acrylic lacquer paints like Tamiya 

You can experiment with the Mr Hobby Thinners too. There is Mr Leveling Thinner, Mr Color Thinner, and Mr. Rapid thinner. Mr. Levelling thinner well make it less flat, and Mr. Rapid thinner will make it a little more flat. 

I use all three with Testors Dullcote to get the look I want. Like Sprumeiester says, it is still available.