Assistnace needed with Missiles

Bought some sidewinders and sparrows from Eduard... Im wondering how you line up the fine on the missiles to sit straight... The sidewinders were easy, as the rear fins were already in place so I merely held the sidewinder up, looking at it face forward and lined up the front fins with the rear.. Came out perfect. The sparrows on the other hand, require all 8 be glued and the only thing I have is a single pin hole.. Im wondering if there is a method to setting these straight? 

Many thanks! -Ed 

There was a time that I addressed this by running slot along a scrap balsa board.  I used a strip of sand paper around a dowel to work in the right depth and width so that the missile body was just above the point where there fins would be attached.  I'd spot glue both sides on one axis and then eyeball the other axis as you described.  Then run a bead of thin CA to permanently secure it.

9 minutes ago, Cloud in the Wind said:

There was a time that I addressed this by running slot along a scrap balsa board.  I used a strip of sand paper around a dowel to work in the right depth and width so that the missile body was just above the point where there fins would be attached.  I'd spot glue both sides on one axis and then eyeball the other axis as you described.  Then run a bead of thin CA to permanently secure it.

That'll work.. The sidewinders are easy, because the rear fins are already part of the cast.. So, I merely hold the missile up, face the front head on, and line up each front fin with minimal manipulation. Incredible, how hard this is when you would think it's so easy. lol 

I once made a simple jig to glue the fins to a bomb tail that I was scratch-building. It still wasn't perfect - it took me about an hour to line up the four fins accurately. But without the jig, it would have been impossible. You could use something similar for the rear fins of the Sparrow.

f84f-055.jpg

The end results was really nice, so it was worth the effort.

f84f-057.jpg

Rob