The V-2 isn't quite space, but it was the grandfather of the Saturn V.  I've heard the quote, "Werner von Braun aimed for the stars, but sometimes he hit London."  My specialty is 1/48 WW1 & WW2 airplanes but I've been captivated by rockets since the Apollo days, and the 1/48 V-2 by Pegasus at least would fit into my WW2 collection.

The kit itself is designed to be snap-together.  The rocket consists of 12 heavy olive drab parts with rather overdone recessed panel lines and rivets.  Most of the fit is very good, except for the nose cone which required a good deal of putty to fit right.  There should be two turbopump exhaust vents but the kit includes only one.  There's also a three part launch stand which bears no resemblance to the real thing.  I got the camouflage scheme from v2rocket.com, painted it with AR and Model Master German Army dark yellow, cream white, and Luftwaffe RLM 71.  There's a rocket serial number decal included in the kit which I used.  There was almost not stenciling on the combat rockets.  I modified the launch platform to be a bit more realistic, painted it field grey, and added a bit of weathering.

Peddinghaus decals does a sheet of stenciling and other markings for the early black and white test V-2s.  I may do one of those some day, filling in all the rivet holes that wouldn't look out of place on the Titanic.

DSC_0323.JPG

You're in the right forum and your V2 looks pretty good!

At the 2009 NATS we Real Space modellers had built over 50 V2s and entered them into the contest and we split the category, so your V2 is definitely at home here!  ;^ D

Did you take any WIP photos of your build ... it's always good to see more pix of it coming together.

Pete

I love this model, looks just right with no weathering.  Saw a V-2 at a contest some years ago that was weathered like an aircraft or tank.  Rockets until Space X were all single use.  On the V-2 you can do a lot to build post war missiles, adding payload noses, extending the body as the Russian's did and even build the old Hawk Jupiter (Redstone) of which is a direct descendant of the V-2.

No, unfortunately I didn’t do any WIP pics, it was a really quick and simple build. The toughest step was wrapping the camouflage around a cylindrical object, making it look right. I agree about weathering, these were single use ‘rounds’. I’ve never been one for excessive weathering anyway.

Edited by PA28Ace
Bumped the submit button