Anyone Use ASK Decals?

• 3 weeks later...

Don,

Just a heads up - I started using these on my build.   The first one I used was a rather complex smaller marking.   The decal immediately started to fall apart when it was applied.    Very fragile.   I then moved onto the large tiger's mouth decal.   This one had the black ink dissolve in the water before I could even apply it.    I then moved onto to other decals.   The remaining small ones actually went on nicely.  You have to trim all the excess film away but one on, they look very nice.   Instructions say to use lighter fluid to dissolve the clear film but I'm not sure I want to try to that method.  Pretty happy with the current results for these smaller markings.   The other larger decals were a bit more problematic.  They didn't fall apart but they are pretty thick and didn't seem to react in the least with Micro Sol / Set.    Lastly, the stencil markings are in a strange font and in some cases, use made up words.    Can't really tell those flaws from a distance but figured I'd give you a heads up.

All in all, I think these decals are crap.   That being said, your mileage might vary and given that there are no other readily available aftermarket decals for the 32nd ICM Cobra out there (Werner's wings decided not to release 32nd scale versions of their upcoming Cobra sheet), you really don't have many other options.   Good luck.    

Thanks for this update bee.   I have the sheet for the 1/48 and the ones I plan on using aren't very complex (no teeth).   For my 1/32 Cobra I have the MicroScale sheet with Squatter Swatter on it.   Though this sheet is a million years old.   My fear is it will break apart when it hits water.   I'll have to shoot it with a couple coats of gloss clear before I apply them.   

Post pics of your Cobra when you get it done.   I'm working on finishing up a FrankenCobra that is based on the Fujimi kit with pieces borrowed from their Sea Cobra and leftover parts from the Special Hobbies AH-G.

14 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

Thanks for this update bee.   I have the sheet for the 1/48 and the ones I plan on using aren't very complex (no teeth).   For my 1/32 Cobra I have the MicroScale sheet with Squatter Swatter on it.   Though this sheet is a million years old.   My fear is it will break apart when it hits water.   I'll have to shoot it with a couple coats of gloss clear before I apply them.   

Post pics of your Cobra when you get it done.   I'm working on finishing up a FrankenCobra that is based on the Fujimi kit with pieces borrowed from their Sea Cobra and leftover parts from the Special Hobbies AH-G.

I'll throw up some pics when I'm finished but here is where I'm at so far.  Only partially done with the decaling process. 

ct0Bnnx.jpg

CmuqM2b.jpg

NjUfusH.jpg

Good luck on your build, hope you post some pics as well Don. 

That looks awesome bee!   I'll take some pics of what mine looks like now.   I'm getting ready to thow some paint on it so I'd like to show what it looks like in it's Frankenstein mode.

Edited by Drifterdon

Will try that if I ever use ASK decals again. I've tempered my critisim of these decals just a bit.   The stencils (although in a weird font and sometimes using gibberish) actually go down very well with no silvering at all.    I find the trick is to not cut right up to the edge of the artwork itself but leave a border of clear film.   Once applied, after a few coats of Micro Sol, the decal looks pretty good.   For anything bigger than a stencil, you still need to use extreme care, it doesn't take much for the ink to start disintegrating.    

I'll give them a 5 out of 10 rating.    Guess I've been spoiled by using Fundekals for my last 4 builds.