LF G-Factor 1/48 F-105D brass landing gear for Rev/Mon kits - #48012

Hi lads and gals,

I'm desperately looking for this particular bit, which I was completely unable to find anywhere.

If you have one, please PM me. Or, I'm tossing quite interesting items as possible trades so that you'd be tempted:

1. Fairy-Hobby 48008 1/48 F-15 Eagle Single Set Canopy Correction Set for GWH kit - mint (oh, I know you SO want it... 😆 )

2. Wingman Models 72002 1/72 C-130J-30 Conversion Set (US & IAF decals) for Italeri kit - without the original box (this is long OOP)

3. Vespa Models 48002 1/48 Su-17/22 Tumansky R-29-300 Rear Fuselage Conversion Set for Kitty Hawk kit - mint (this is such a huge bargain for this trade)

If it's a trade, everyone pays for their own shipping. If you sell it, I'm paying for both the brass bit and shipment through PayPal.

Cheers,

Gwen

Edited by Gwen Phoenix
Another set is gone
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 10:37 PM, habu2 said:

Nice brass......  😎

😄 Thanks, habu. It's polished silver 925, in fact.

Sorry guys, someone in Singapore has read and offered me top-dollar for the Fairy-Hobby Canopy Correction set, so it had to go.

Cheers,

Gwen

• 3 weeks later...

Bby4H1o.jpg

Bummer!  (back to the top).

I don't think this is working out for me. Is it that hard to find one of the G-Factor brass bits? What was of G-Factor these days? I've been e-mailing them like mad (might as well have actually made their inbox full 😅), not one reply back.

Oh, well...

Cheers,

Gwen

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2023 at 6:28 PM, Dutch said:

Gwen, 
A chap in the UK makes a brass set, albeit for the Hobby Boss 1/48 kit. Look here: https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/republic-f-105-thunderchief-undercarriage-set-for-the-hobby-boss-kits

Hi Dutch,

Thanks for the heads-up. I went and bought Ali McLean's set anyway, to find that there's a lot to be modified on it in order that it'd fit the slots on the Monogram MLG bay (or vice versa, modify the Aerocraft bit). I haven't got the skills for either of that. Might have to buy the Hobby Boss Thud some day...

Nice, strong sets.

On 4/21/2023 at 11:59 PM, Scott Smith said:

If you were building 1/32 I could help you out.  

Hi Scott,

Thanks, but that's too big for the flat I dwell in!

On 4/22/2023 at 9:29 PM, tim said:

Did you use the correct e-mail address:

elitemodels@aol.com?

or snail mail:

Ernie Gee

1210 W. Moraga Rd.

Fresno , CA 93711

(559) 709-1556

Tim, hi

That's the e-mail address I sent my enquiry to, but still no replies whatsoever. Also sent mails to the e-mail address written on the labels on the set envelopes.

Might as well long distance call Ernie.

Thanks a lot for your input.

On 4/22/2023 at 10:28 PM, lockheed2004 said:

Scale Aircraft Conversions makes a set that can be obtained currently, but it’s white metal not brass.  I’ve got one if you’re interested.

Hi lockheed2004,

I already got one of those, and they're just an awful Scheiße. I even went asking a blacksmith I'm acquainted with if there was any way to make those stronger. He just laughed outloud. Very loud, I should say. :hmmm:

Cheers everyone,

Gwen

• 4 weeks later...

@Dutch I'm seriously mulling over the possibility of getting the Trumpy 1/48 F-105D kit wings in order to graft them onto the Monogram kit. That way I might as well get the Aerocraft brass legs for my build. What do you think about the idea? Think the Trumpy wings may fit the Monogram kit?

The G-Factor brass legs are nowhere to be found, I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Gwen

On 4/26/2023 at 8:13 PM, Gwen Phoenix said:

Hi Dutch,

Thanks for the heads-up. I went and bought Ali McLean's set anyway, to find that there's a lot to be modified on it in order that it'd fit the slots on the Monogram MLG bay (or vice versa, modify the Aerocraft bit). I haven't got the skills for either of that. Might have to buy the Hobby Boss Thud some day...

Nice, strong sets.

Cheers everyone,

Gwen

Gwen,

I have built several of the Monogram 1/48 Century series jet, but not the F-105D/G unfortunately, so I am unfamiliar with the MLG/NLG attachment configuration.  I also do not have the Trumpeter F-105D/G for comparison.  However, I have modified other metal u/c to fit kits other than the intended ones.  Or, I should say, I have modified the kits to receive the new metal u/s legs.  I am by no means a super detailer, or even a moderately-detailed detailer.  I would classify myself in the Larry the Cable guy "Get 'er done" category, perhaps fixing obvious mistakes.  I do enjoy watching the "In-Progress" threads here on ARC and see how other modelers with far greater skills tackle issues and problems.  I learn a lot and it satisfies my inquisitive nature.  There is a Modelcollect B-2A build thread by colargol that I check out to learn techniques to accurize an existing good kit and just plain enjoy his simple way of dealing with issues, particularly the undercarriage.  I suspect that he has some machine tools I do not, but informative, nonetheless.  The best part is that it gives me courage to try new techniques on some of my own builds.  So dive on in!  If you really mess up the Monogram wings, then get the Trumpy wings.  At least the u/c legs will fit "as is" (or maybe not?), but then you may have to modify the Trumpy wing to Monogram fuselage joint.  Which brings up another issue in modeling.  By trying to fix one issue or problem, we sometimes create another unintended issue of greater or lesser magnitude.  That's why the box says "For Ages 10+". 🙃

Kind regards,

Dutch

Gwen

These are made for the Monogram kit??

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/f-105-thunderchief-brass-under-carriage

I have built both the Monogram and Hobbyboss Thuds.   Try those landing gear at Aerocraft....IF not the Hobbyboss and Mongram kit are similiar & you can easily modify the Monogram kit to take the Brass landing gear with either brass tube super glued to the wheel well or thick plastic tubing. 

Steve

1.JPG

11.JPG

DSCN2004.JPG

DSCN2005.JPG

DSCN2007.JPG

DSCN2392.JPG

On 5/22/2023 at 10:22 PM, scorvi said:

:gr_eek2: Indeed! 

Wow, Steve; you're my savior!

I thought Ali's brass set was actually made to fit the Hobby Boss kit, but I just checked your link above, and it hit me right in the jaw! I'm such an idiot... :suspicious:

Ordering it right away! I'd already ordered the Hobby Boss wings :doh: How could I've been so stupid? Here's a song for me.

Incidentally; awesome builds, Steve! I'd have surely gotten the Hobby Boss kit hadn't I gotten the DMold forward fuselage correction for the Monogram kit, plus the Eduard cockpit photoetch set. 

By the way, what is your take between one kit and the other? I kind of fancy building my Monogram kit with the bomb bay exposed, as seen on the Detail & Scale book by Bert Kinzey. 

Cheers,

Gwen

PS: @scorvi I owe you. Thanks a lot!

They are both good kits  The nod goes to Monogram for ultimate accuracy though.  The Hobbyboss kit provides more details if you want to do any open panels  ...as I did on mine. BUT it still builds nice as all buttoned up airframe.  THE main shape problems with the Hoyyboss kit is:

-Overall Tail shape  a bit off

-Nose is a bit off and throws canopy off

-Bang seat is best replaced w/ a resin one

-shape of ventral fin is off too

MOST of these things a re very minor . but they do add up compared to Monogram kit

Steve

Hi Steve,

On 5/22/2023 at 10:22 PM, scorvi said:

Wow, Mr McLean's just saved my skin. Those brass legs for the Monogram Thud kit by Aerocraft Models are for the 1/72nd scale only. :crying2:Almost ordered them.

So, still looking for those friggin' G-Factor 1/48 brass legs if someone happened to have them, by chance.

Cheers,

Gwen   

The ones that are actually for the 1/48 Monogram kit are from Teknics. 

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/teknics-conversion-sets-1-48-48050-f-105d-f-g-landing-gear-

Which I used on my kit But I built that over 15 years ago!

I think you could retrofit the Aeroscale ones for the Hobbyboss kit??  IN BRASS since only other option is the SAC gear which are white metal?

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/republic-f-105-thunderchief-undercarriage-set-for-the-hobby-boss-kits

Steve