When to use alclad clear base?

The alclad website lists their clear base coat as being used for high shine finishes along with the gloss black base. But it doesn’t specify when to use one over the other. Anybody use it?  I have used the gloss black base all time.  What would the clear base provide for me?  What colour should be under the clear?  Is it for models modded in black styrene, that just need to be glossed up?

Thanks

The clear base can be used in place of gloss black if desired. The gloss black is best suited for highly polished or mirror-like finishes. It basically does the same job in that it lays down a smooth, glossy surface to apply the metalizers.

Edited by caudleryan
On 3/7/2023 at 9:01 PM, caudleryan said:

The clear base can be used in place of gloss black if desired. The gloss black is best suited for highly polished or mirror-like finishes. It basically does the same job in that it lays down a smooth, glossy surface to apply the metalizers.

Thanks, but perhaps I wasn’t clear enough. The website recommends the clear for the same high polished finishes as the black. So why would they make two similar products that does the same job for the same paints?  The clear base must provide a different finish, so what does it do that is different than black?