1:32 Academy F/A-18C Hornet

So Ive got a couple of these in my "to do at some point" pile and was wondering what your thoughts are on them.

I know the USN is well known for its none symmetrical weapons load outs, give me some ideas for a weapons load for them.

What is the kit cockpit like? What do you think of these new 3D decals for the kit?

Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome. I love the Hornet, I love the way it looks but I have no idea about it.

I've built both the C and D models of the Academy kit and I thought they were both great (I'm not a rivit counter).  The downsided, in my opinion, were the decals.  I found them too thick and hard to get to conform with any contours.  I had aftermarket for the main markings but the stencils took some effort to get them down.

Fast is correct the decals are the only REAL problem area. All of mine have used after market decals. I find the kit cockpit just fine, but tend to replace the ejection seats with resin.

In early additions of the kit I found the main lading gear would sag over time. There are metal replacement gear available. The last couple I built (of 7) did not get the metal gear and they have been thus far so good.

9 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

I have several items available for the 32nd Hornet. 

Hannants has most of it in stock, but a large re-stock is on its way.

https://www.flyingleathernecksdecals.com/c/132-decals

https://www.flyingleathernecksdecals.com/c/132-resin

Some of the detail parts do look nice, the wheels and those pylons make me want to build it just to show them off.

I think the rest of it is all geared towards the Marine Corp, which isnt my thing.

I've only built one (a D model), and I wasn't too happy about the thick clear MFD screens and my solution for them. I tried painting them from the underside and it didn't turn out all that good. But once I sealed the fuselage they look fine. Other than that, You could use a proper ejection seat, as the kit ones seem to be the earlier SJU-5/6 type.

It's a shame there are no sidewalls molded to attach to the cockpit tub. My copy had some gaps there that required some sidewalls from plastic.

I feel the intakes are a usefull addition. I believe I used D-mold. Kit ones look slightly weird when looking inside. The exhaust I'd pass the next time, though the Aires cans do look nicer than the kit pieces.

I also used the SAC landing gear. My gear didn't sag over time (or I just haven't noticed it), and it's been sitting on them since about december 2018.

I made my own decals for the airframe, so I can't comment. But the kit decal sheet was quite usefull for creating my own markings. Weapons decals behaved nicelly.

I'd love to build one (or a dozen) more but due to space issues I can't.

For loadouts, I really like the combined AGM-65, GBU-38 and GBU-12 loadout with two assymetric fuel tanks. But with the Hornet, possibilities are endless.

Edited by Thadeus
a typo.

I think Im going to get a Quinta cockpit for it. I do like how they look, and it cuts down all the work, I think that set comes with side wall panels.

The seat is a good call as I think I might use the later BRU-55 I think it is so that will I think make it a later jet, but I will be limited by the decals I go with.
Im not fixed on what jet to do yet, decal sheets was one of the thigs I was hoping to pick up here but it does seem like many people have an opinion on it so...

Do get the Quinta cockpit. I’ve built multiples of these kits. Sometimes like Phantom, with kit cockpit and resin seats. One with Eduard PE (which looked great). I bought 3 sets of Quinta for future builds, and have used their products on other kits. Fantastic cockpits.

ALF

Well I can tell you all that the Flying Leathernecks stuff is amazingly nice. I have Dave's 1/48th stuff with the 1/32nd scale stuff on it's way. The HUD won't be an issue as there is a replacement with glass included.