Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My father stated his coast guard career as a hu-16 crewman in mobile, later finishing his degree and becoming a pilot on hh-52’s. I’m recently back into the modeling hobby, and am hunting a 1/48 or larger scale 52.  I swear I read somewhere that there was a conversion kit for another airframe but for the life of me I can’t find it.  Am I crazy, or can someone point me in the right direction?  I’ve seen the 1/72 resin kits from whirlybird and unicraft, but that’s not what I have in mind.  Any help would be appreciated

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

In 1/72 you can get one from Unicrap, I mean Unicraft.

Lager scales there are some nice mahogany ones that maybe less expensive that making your own up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out the ScaleMates link here for scale kits and decals.  The old ITC kit was 1:50 scale, and good luck finding one;  occasionally available on evilbay for ludicrous prices.  The WhirlyBird kit is 1:72. Sadly, WhirlyBird ceased operations last year. 


You could post a "want ad" in the Sales sub-forum of ARC Forum or keep checking evilbay.  You might also check some of the European online model stores for the WhirlyBird kit. 


@hemspilot makes a good point about buying a pre-built mahogany display S-62/HH-52A.  You can probably request a custom serial number and station as well.  You may find it quicker and cheaper.


Thank your Dad for his dedicated service from all of us at ARC Forum.  Semper paratus!




Link to post
Share on other sites

I am currently building a 1/8th scale HH-52A from my own drawings. I have used photos and the flight manual to design the model. The attached PDF is a copy of the CAD drawing. It is still a work in progress as I use it when working on the model.




Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you can convert anything to a HH-52/S-62.

While it's basic shape looks like a H-3/S-61, it is much smaller, and as Dutch points out, the rotors are from a H-19/S-55, so you can't use the rotors from that.


If your want  just a display model, your best option is to get one of the painted solid wood ones from the Philippines. Many will even finish it in exact markings. It will cost $300, but that's close to what you'd have to pay for an unbuilt ITC kit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...