I recently bought some Tamiya accent line color. Never really have done any wash on my parts before. I always have just made my models look like new aircraft. I use enamel paints. So what is the best way to use this stuff? Do I have to gloss coat everything first, then wash it or just use gloss paints? Heard it has to have a gloss finish to work. Thanks for any input or advice

Jeff

A gloss coat will help the panel line accent to flow into the panel lines and later when it is dry it will wipe off relatively easy.  If you apply it to a flat finish it will soak into the flat finish and won't wipe off easily if at all.  Tamiya panel accents will reactivate enamel paints (even gloss paints) and cause a mess.  My way of using it is rather tedious.  I use a Touch n Flow applicator (like a pipette) and fill it with some panel line accent.  Then I can touch it to the panel lines and it will flow into them.  Of course you have to hit every panel line but it saves a lot of clean up later.  Some modellers coat the whole model and then try to wipe it all off.  Either way is time consuming.

Edited by Geoff M
1 hour ago, Geoff M said:

A gloss coat will help the panel line accent to flow into the panel lines and later when it is dry it will wipe off relatively easy.  If you apply it to a flat finish it will soak into the flat finish and won't wipe off easily if at all.  Tamiya panel accents will reactivate enamel paints (even gloss paints) and cause a mess.  My way of using it is rather tedious.  I use a Touch n Flow applicator (like a pipette) and fill it with some panel line accent.  Then I can touch it to the panel lines and it will flow into them.  Of course you have to hit every panel line but it saves a lot of clean up later.  Some modellers coat the whole model and then try to wipe it all off.  Either way is time consuming.

What if I se a lacquer gloss coat? Would that activate the enamel paint under the gloss c oat?

On 3/13/2023 at 4:32 PM, Raptor.777 said:

I recently bought some Tamiya accent line color. Never really have done any wash on my parts before.

The best thing to do is try it yourself on a scrap model to see how it affects the particular paints you have and the styles you use. I've seen some excellent results from YouTube modellers using this wash, although I haven't used it myself.

On 3/13/2023 at 4:32 PM, Raptor.777 said:

Heard it has to have a gloss finish to work.

Yes, otherwise the model will always look like someone brushed oil on the aircraft, and not in a good way.

On 3/13/2023 at 11:32 PM, Raptor.777 said:

I recently bought some Tamiya accent line color. Never really have done any wash on my parts before. I always have just made my models look like new aircraft. I use enamel paints. So what is the best way to use this stuff? Do I have to gloss coat everything first, then wash it or just use gloss paints? Heard it has to have a gloss finish to work. Thanks for any input or advice

Jeff

They are a "pin wash" so you only apply them to the panel lines. A gloss coat on the whole model will allow capillary action to take the wash along the panel lines until there isnt enough wash to flood the panel lines.

If you dont gloss coat it the wash will only flood into the areas where there is enough wash to fill in the rough surface left by the matt or satin coat.

To use them shake it up to make sure the pigment is well distributed them just touch the brush tip to one of the panel lines and watch it spread out.
It there is any excess where you touched the brush down you can use a cue tip to remove any excess wash if you want to.
On a matt model you will do the same but you will need to apply much more in the areas where it doesnt spread to and clean up a lot more and the effect will not be as pin sharp as it would be if it had a gloss coat.

Satin is half way between the two above.

Flory models make a wash that in the end gives the same effect but is a bit more workman like to get it to look like that, but Phil Flory has done many demonstrations of his wash, all of which are on youtube.

Flory washes are a lot more versatile though as they can be used in many other ways that you need to work at to get the Tamiya wash to do. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2023 at 10:32 AM, A-10 LOADER said:

IMO just get yourself some Flory Model washes. They're super easy to use.

Steve

The issue with Flory is that it does not flow well into the tiniest panel line. Dai