F-15E Strike Eagle Weathering and Panel Line Shading Opinions...

I have a nice layer of gunship grey laid on a Revell F-15E.. The question is should I or should I not add panel line post shading. I think the base color is somewhat dark, and painting over the black shading may cover it a bit too much even if I think the color. I really don't see too many eagles with that wear and tear, but I'll be adding some brown/tan to simulate sand dust etc. 

I did an F-14 years ago, and added some post shading which came out great, but the light ghost grey was much lighter and managing the top base coat layers on top of the panel shading was pretty easy. I say the gunship grey is a bit too dark to achieve this unless lighten it up.

Thoughts??? Have a great day! -Ed 

I wasn't sure so I looked up a few photos and they don't really seem to have darkened panel lines, and in fact it's almost the opposite - pain peels around the panels and more metal shows through

This is a great photo I found, and I think it shows the kind of weathering that they generally have:

mcdonnell-douglas-f-15e-strike-eagle-384

On 3/15/2023 at 9:54 AM, kernsc said:

another view but the lighting is such that you can better see the amount of grime, although to your point the panel lines don't stand out strongly

i-zZgXHHK-X3.jpg

Great pic and yes, as we can see the panel lines or shading do not stand out at all.... Certainly not like and F-14 or F-18.. Very formidable, however, boring aircraft. Lacks the charm of the latter two I mentioned but nonetheless I want to make this Revell kit interesting but not fantasy. I have not completed a kit since 2007 or so and I want to to do this right! It seems, that the gunship grey is too dark for line shading but I'll apply the Tamiya panel line wash when I get to that point. 

20 minutes ago, kellyF15 said:

The majority of the staining on top of the wings in the middle are years of people walking on top of the jet.  Not all squadrons make you wear booties. 

Look how clean the speed brake / control surfaces are.  I guess all those "NO STEP" stencils actually work!

2 hours ago, kernsc said:

Look how clean the speed brake / control surfaces are.  I guess all those "NO STEP" stencils actually work!

LOL yep, that would be bad. We could walk on the horizontal stabs, but only in that little box area that you can see lined off.

Edited by kellyF15