Hi all,

It could be me but I could not get the lower panel to fit well to the fuse of the excellent F4B 1/48 so some sandings were done. As you can see I lost the panel lines and rivets. What is the besr way to restore/simulate these lost details? I am horrible and rescribing and placement of the sunken rivets is even worse. This lost details happen to be at the demarcation line so maybe just leave it alone? I await your expert replies. Dai 

337115591_713132027162695_5388657142751344150_n.jpg

337014082_1483550965514292_5937460534924004393_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan

I feel your pain.  On many phantom kits that area can be a problem.  I use Dymo tape as a guide for rescribing and large sewing needle chucked in a pin vise for restoring lost panel lines.  I use the same pin vise for restoring the rivet detail.  I also learn from the experience and next time I add a spacer to make the two parts match better.  

6 hours ago, Geoff M said:

I feel your pain.  On many phantom kits that area can be a problem.  I use Dymo tape as a guide for rescribing and large sewing needle chucked in a pin vise for restoring lost panel lines.  I use the same pin vise for restoring the rivet detail.  I also learn from the experience and next time I add a spacer to make the two parts match better.  

There was a panel with 6 rivets and I want to refine them  so I use compass needle. Examine 10 times then went for it. By the time I am done the panel has 12 rivets !!! I cannot seem to place the needle right on the center of the sunken rivets !!! Any tips? Dai 

Edited by dai phan

Not going to help on this one but for the next one. What I do is deepen the existing lines and rivets where I know detail will be lost when sanding. I also place tape over details near where I need to sand to prevent excessive loss.

On 3/20/2023 at 8:52 AM, Geoff M said:

Sounds like a case of visual resolution.  Get an OptiVisor or vision aid if you don't have one yet.  It really helps with seeing small details

I have everything but still off the target. Dai 

324509244_3308122276108759_3915249789519946080_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan

I’m not sure how much help I can be as my methodology is common and probably already at your skill level.  I place masking tape along the intended line then lightly scribe a number of times before going for it.  For rivets I premark using a pencil to get the spacing and number.  This takes me a few tries though. 

49 minutes ago, Cloud in the Wind said:

I’m not sure how much help I can be as my methodology is common and probably already at your skill level.  I place masking tape along the intended line then lightly scribe a number of times before going for it.  For rivets I premark using a pencil to get the spacing and number.  This takes me a few tries though. 

I have tried using the best scriber like Tamiya's. But the lines are not even, always crooked. Yes I score lightly a few times. Somehow I struggled so much when comes to this type of job. Dai