Thinning Vallejo Air paints with Tamiy X-20A

Hello gents,

Quick question... never used Vallejo Air paints before but want to give them a go in my airbrush...

1) Do you recommend thinning them or just spraying them straight.  I understand it is not necessary but you can thin them?

2) If you do recommend thinning them, can I use Tamiya X-20A thinner to thin the Vallejo Air paint down? 

Looking for an experienced opinion.

Thanks for your help gents!

-Greg

While I mostly stick to my tamiya or mr color range for airbrushing, I have for various reasons had to use Vallejo Air. I would suggest only using their proprietary thinner as it does need to be thinned out.  I experimented with X-20A and Mr Color levelling thinner and my results were less than favourable... cleaning, swearing etc

The strange part is that the range is actually better for brush painting! 

Hope that helps

Andy

6 hours ago, ExchefAndy said:

While I mostly stick to my tamiya or mr color range for airbrushing, I have for various reasons had to use Vallejo Air. I would suggest only using their proprietary thinner as it does need to be thinned out.  I experimented with X-20A and Mr Color levelling thinner and my results were less than favourable... cleaning, swearing etc

The strange part is that the range is actually better for brush painting! 

Hope that helps

Andy

What he said

Thanks Andy, I thought it might be that, but I didn't pick it up at the shop as I thought it may be an Airbrush 'cleaner' sort of thing (rather than a paint thinner)... LOL... that's why I asked.

-Greg

On 3/19/2023 at 5:47 PM, lgl007 said:

Hello gents,

Quick question... never used Vallejo Air paints before but want to give them a go in my airbrush...

1) Do you recommend thinning them or just spraying them straight.  I understand it is not necessary but you can thin them?

2) If you do recommend thinning them, can I use Tamiya X-20A thinner to thin the Vallejo Air paint down? 

Looking for an experienced opinion.

Thanks for your help gents!

-Greg

Greg,

I am a bit late to this conversation but I think I can help. In the last 5 years or so I have switched completely over to Vallejo Acrylics. Wasn't getting great result form them, got rid of them for a while. But as someone who lives with roommates and several pets, I need a paint that doesn't leave odors. Spent months but I came up with a mixture formula that changed airbrush Vallejo Acrylics. I highly recommend checking it out. Link to the mixture formula video below. As someone who use to work professionally as an airbrush artist for picture companies, I can honestly I now get results from Vallejo paints as I use to get from any enamel or lacquer paints. 

Hope this helps!

Khumar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYyfKPouFCQ