1/48 Tamiya P-47D "No Guts No Glory"

There is something a bit intimidating about checkered paint jobs, but I love these markings from Thundercals and am excited to finally be building this kit.  Just getting back into the hobby this winder after a near 15 year hiatus.

i-DdBv4jQ-XL.jpg

Well, I buggered up the 3rd and final checkering decal for the cowling.  I was SOOO close to having it on correctly but things spiraled out of control.  So, I've got a note out to Norris if he has any partials he can sell.  

Anyone have the right cowling, Type B checkering decal they can spare from Thundercals 48-006? Of the five subject on the sheet, No Guts No Glory is the only one that uses that decal.

I'm in luck, Norris at Thundercals happens to have an extra cowling decal on a partial sheet and is hooking me up.  Excellent customer service!  So, hopefully I won't mess it up again and can finish off this cowling.  I takes three decals, a top, left and right, and I already have the top and left side on:

i-ftcpzhn-X2.jpg

In the meantime, I got the cockpit finished and was then able to join fuselage halves, get the wings on etc, such that now it's ready for paint.  I know this kit has been out for near 20 years, but after a 15 year hiatus from the hobby, this is my first time building it.  What a great kit!

i-jzFfZK4-X3.jpg

• 10 months later...

OK, so finally picking this back up and making progress.  My second attempt at the 3rd nose cowl check decal also botched!  So frustrating!! Then work and life got really busy.

On a sad note, the owner and creator of ThunderCals, Norris, passed away last year.   https://thundercals.com/in-memoriam-norris-graser/

Norris' son was able to sell me one more sheet with checks, though, and I finally got the decal on.  Not perfect as I ended up with a slight gap at the bottom of the cowl.  Totally my fault as the decals are perfect.  Honestly, next time I do something like this, I'll likely slice the left / right cowling decals in half so I can work in smaller sections.  If you are intersted in P-47s, I suggest you pick up some sheets from ThunderCals before they're on gone.  Exceptionally well researched and fantastic instructions.

While masking for the invasion stripes I swore off ever doing that again, but removing the tape gave me a lot of satisfaction in how it's coming out, so I recanted.

Painting has been with Vallejo Model Air, 71.324 BS Dark Green and 71.273 Ocean Gray, all painted over Aluminum

i-mm4DHj8-XL.jpgi-hwSqdQh-XL.jpg