Gravity or suction airbrush?

The suction airbrush as you call it has advantages over a gravity fed one but almost none of those advantages count for modelling.

Quick change of colours
Quick clean up
Higher operating pressures (with thinner paint without problems like spiderwebbing)
Usually have a larger paint capacity.

Lower cost of ownership (multiple jars gets expensive, othewise youre cleaning out the jar every time)

None of these things you will need, but quick clean up is always nice I guess.

There are other advantages to them of course but they are just an idea of what the difference is.

There are times when a siphon feed is advantageous of course, but if this will be your one and only tool them make it a gravity fed one, you will be better off in the long run and you wont be thinking you should have gone the other way all the time, as you will be if you go for a siphon feed 

Edited by ElectroSoldier

I use both, typically Creos PS-289 (gravity feed), and my old standby Paasche Model H syphon feed.  I agree that the gravity feed allow you to use a lot less paint, and if you don't dismantle the airbrush for cleaning, I find that both types are about equal in terms of ease of cleaning.  I typically use my Paasche for most 'bigger coverage' jobs, like shooting primers or clear coats, and use the gravity feed for finer work, but I also use the gravity feed only for lacquers or enamels, and use the syphon for acrylics (i.e., typically water or alcohol based paints).  I just find the clean up for the syphon feed much simpler if I don't have to involve lacquer thinner or similar solvents.  I would recommend having both types, frankly, especially given that the Paasche is generally less expensive (you can find full a set, with hoses, multiple size needles, etc.) for less than $90, and a PS-289 for about the same price.  

If I HAD to pick only one, though, I guess it would be the gravity feed, and the reason being that I find it to be easier to do fine work.  But, with some practice, you can similar performance from the Paasche.  The prime advantage to the Paasche, to me, is that it is ultra simple to clean, there being only 2 parts that really make up the 'spray' part of the brush.  Sorry....I guess I'm not helping much to narrow down one type from the other. 

I might be on the left field by myself, but I prefer the side feed type like the Badger XF100. To me it's easier to see where I'm pointing, and the balance feels right. I have a Paasche Talon gravity sitting around collecting dust. Don't get me wrong, tt's a good AB, but never really got used to it.

For the reasons stated previously I use a gravity feed for most tasks. I like to use a side feed for metallics, sometimes metallics clog my Gravity feed brushes but they do ok with a side feed, or a siphon feed.

And the advantage of using a different airbrush for metallics is that since it is a lot of work to get every single metallic flake out of an airbrush, you do not have to worry about contaminating your main airbrush.  

What I do not like about siphon feed airbrushes is cleaning. Before I discovered gravity feed, I spent a lot of time trying to clean color cups, jars and jar toppers, especially on for the Paasche H. The bent tube on the H color cup was a pain!  

Siphon feed lol. Idk why I couldn't rember the term. Thanks for the advice guys. I hate to do it but I'm going to have to use acrylics because I'll be painting inside my utility room.

On 3/27/2023 at 9:10 AM, Curt B said:

Are you set on which brand(s) of paint you plan to purchase?  Lots of options, today!

Not really sure yet, just looking for acrylics that won't peel so easy the way model master used to.

On 3/28/2023 at 12:42 PM, kellyF15 said:

Not really sure yet, just looking for acrylics that won't peel so easy the way model master used to.

Well, the 'Gold Standard' of 'acrylic' hobby paint is Tamiya.  The only real down side of Tamiya is their relatively limited color range, meaning you have to do a lot of mixing to get certain colors.  But for ease of use and availability, you can't beat them!  Just be aware that Tamiya has come out with, and is expanding, their line of lacquer based paints, now in 10ml bottles just like their acrylics, so don't confuse the two types.  And I really love the Mr. Hobby/Creos Aqueous line of paints, their only down side being availability.  It can be difficult, at least in my experience, to get certain colors here in the US.  Lifecolor is another great paint, purely water based stuff, very, very heavily pigmented! 

Edited by Curt B
On 3/25/2023 at 1:27 PM, Kurt H. said:

For the reasons stated previously I use a gravity feed for most tasks. I like to use a side feed for metallics, sometimes metallics clog my Gravity feed brushes but they do ok with a side feed, or a siphon feed.

And the advantage of using a different airbrush for metallics is that since it is a lot of work to get every single metallic flake out of an airbrush, you do not have to worry about contaminating your main airbrush.  

What I do not like about siphon feed airbrushes is cleaning. Before I discovered gravity feed, I spent a lot of time trying to clean color cups, jars and jar toppers, especially on for the Paasche H. The bent tube on the H color cup was a pain!  

Yes sir! I have an older air gun set aside strictly for metallic paints. A professional artist recommended this to me several years ago. 

• 4 weeks later...