Model kit inventory software

Not familiar with this software, but many of the kits in my stash predate the widespread adoption of the UPC barcode (mid 80s).  I’ve maintained my own msexcel spreadsheet for years, all information was manually entered. 

3 hours ago, roym said:

Don't remember this, but I use scalemates where I can get a pdf of my stash. No help I know but maybe an alternative...

Scalemates will also export out a csv or tsv file which you can then open with excel or even import into your own db and then do with it as you need.  

5 hours ago, habu2 said:

Not familiar with this software, but many of the kits in my stash predate the widespread adoption of the UPC barcode (mid 80s).  I’ve maintained my own msexcel spreadsheet for years, all information was manually entered. 

I have mine on Excel as well...

6 hours ago, habu2 said:

I do an Excel spreadsheet as well.

Edited by ReccePhreak
Reworded post

A little late to the party, but here are my two cents.

I recommend scalemates.com as one of the best ways to keep your stash under control, even if you want your info in a spreadsheet.

It has saved me more than once from buying something I already have; I can check it anytime since my info is available online.

Being a hardcore aftermarket hoarder, It's also my favorite way to know about new ones available for my kits.

The vast majority of kits and accessories info is already up-to-date, so you don't have to write it; search your kit by number or any other parameter and add it to your stash with a click.

On the rare occasion, your kit isn't there, you can add a new entry with the corresponding info, and it will be available for others.

Keep in mind this is a free service, so there is a chance your stash's info will end up in the hands of the scale model industrial complex to determine which will be the next Tamiya kit or ResKit detail set. Jokes aside, it's a good practice to regularly download a copy of your stash in an spreadsheet compatible format or PDF (available with one click).

39 minutes ago, cruiz said:

A little late to the party, but here are my two cents.

I recommend scalemates.com as one of the best ways to keep your stash under control, even if you want your info in a spreadsheet.

It has saved me more than once from buying something I already have; I can check it anytime since my info is available online.

Being a hardcore aftermarket hoarder, It's also my favorite way to know about new ones available for my kits.

The vast majority of kits and accessories info is already up-to-date, so you don't have to write it; search your kit by number or any other parameter and add it to your stash with a click.

On the rare occasion, your kit isn't there, you can add a new entry with the corresponding info, and it will be available for others.

Keep in mind this is a free service, so there is a chance your stash's info will end up in the hands of the scale model industrial complex to determine which will be the next Tamiya kit or ResKit detail set. Jokes aside, it's a good practice to regularly download a copy of your stash in an spreadsheet compatible format or PDF (available with one click).

I agree with Cruiz on this. Besides my personal Excel spreadsheet, with all my kits, aftermarket, decal sheets & paints. I have also uploaded info on some of my more esoteric items (Decals) that were not in his database. I wasn't aware that I could download a copy of my stash via spreadsheet or PDF. I will have to try that, even with me regularly updating to my own  spreadsheet.

Larry

I created a relational database using the ancient Lotus Approach.  Back when it wasn’t ancient.  It runs fine on W10.  Sadly, I’m not imaginative enough to create the proper entity relationship diagram so that could keeps kits and accessories in the same database.  Keeping up with two files is slightly annoying, but they are linked and I can see what accessories I have for any kit.

Great info, I should look into Scalemates, too.   What I need, also,  is a tool to see where I'm at in a build and plot out the next steps -- sort of like a to-do list or checklist for tracking progress on several projects.    I can't seem to remember where I'm at after pausing for a few weeks.   Anyone use those or are you just able to easily pickup where you left off?   It's one of the main reasons I abandon a lot of builds.  Sorry for the sidetrack.

Edit:  Just found something that has potential.  It's called Tasks.  it lets you create as many lists as you want.   You can strike off/hide completed items... Drag to re-order.. all the good stuff it seems.   Will give it a try.  It's for my question above, though -- not for building a database of your stash.

Edited by crackerjazz
20 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Great info, I should look into Scalemates, too.   What I need, also,  is a tool to see where I'm at in a build and plot out the next steps -- sort of like a to-do list or checklist for tracking progress on several projects. 

I make notes and mark-ups on the kit instruction sheets, but that only tracks progress on individual kits.

I'm at that age that I start almost every day by making a prioritized to-do list for the day.  The first item is always "make a list..."   lol

I do have to make to-do lists all the time, too.   And the strange thing is all the ideas I want to jot down pop up whenever I don't have a pen or I can't write them down like when I wake up, or when I'm driving, and often in the shower when my eyes are covered with soap suds -- and as soon as I get out of there I can't remember a thing : )

33 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

I do have to make to-do lists all the time, too.   And the strange thing is all the ideas I want to jot down pop up whenever I don't have a pen or I can't write them down like when I wake up, or when I'm driving, and often in the shower when my eyes are covered with soap suds -- and as soon as I get out of there I can't remember a thing : )

HEY!!! I "resemble" that remark. That's why I buy those "Post-It" style sticky notes in bulk, and always try to keep a pad in my pocket, as well as in my model toolbox, my car and all over my "Man-Cave". :rofl:

The worst part is when I look at a sticky note on my desk weeks after I wrote it, and try to figure out what I meant by the note. :bandhead2:

But then, I also suffer from Destinesia : The act of going somewhere, and forgetting why.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak

Oh, so that's what it's called : )  Is there a name too for buying more of the same kind of supplies just because i cant figure out if I have them already or where they are.  I just know I hid them somewhere safe,   but so safe I myself couldn't find them.   And if there are several kinds I want to try out, I always choose the same one.  My taste never changes : )    I have three unopened bottles of Tamiya quick-setting glue and multiple bottles of the same paint color  : )   i think what i really need is a whole wall where everything is always visible because my brain is always on "out of sight, out of mind" mode : )