Some Heritagecon 2023 model show pics..

Hi guys here are some pics from yesterday's event.   Great catching up with you Pete, Rob (Ret) and Ricardo!  : )       And congrats on your awards, @Ricardo Salamé, @Ret and Jean Marc!

img%5D   

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D  

img%5D

img%5D  

img%5D

img%5D  

img%5D

img%5D 

img%5D  

img%5D 

img%5D  

img%5D  

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D  

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D  

img%5D  

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D  

img%5D

img%5D  

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

Wait, what are those Top Gun F-14s doing there?   

img%5D

img%5D

They have these Do Not Touch signs that seem quite serious : )   

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D  

img%5D

The judges combing over the model...

img%5D

img%5D

The Top Gun F-14s didn't win any awards, unfortunately.   Or maybe it did win something -- Best Sound Effects -- the sound mostly coming from the spectators mouths : )

Bringing the models to and from the car was an ordeal.  I didn't want to lug any box so I carried them on the stand.   I was fighting the strong winds and the F-14s were wanting to fly off.   Those things easily slide off from the mounts and I could see them slowly working their way off the rods while I slogged towards the very end of the parking lot.  Twice the wind almost managed to pry the whole thing off from my grip -- my heart nearly jumped out from my chest!  It would have been just like the Goose scene with me as Goose : )

Have a bunch of other photos from the event -- will try to post them later.

Edited by crackerjazz

Hi CJ - thanks so much for posting the photos - it was a great show - overwhelming at times! It was wonderful chatting with you and seeing Pete and Ricardo again. Your pair of F-14 were amazing and loved the presentation! I was thankful that Pete brought his work as it's quite something to see them "in person" as one can appreciate the level of work and detail that he has put into them. I know Fine Scale Modeler photographed his Shuttle and Hubble - so I look forward to seeing the pics of that. It was also great to see Ricardo's newest piece of the Cosmonaut - spectacular!  All round a fantastic experience. (and thanks for photographing my Shuttle stack and CSM!)

Edited by Ret

Congrats, Pete! Looking forward to seeing those Fine Scale Modeler pics as well!   It sure was a great show, Ret.   As for me I learned quite a few lessons.   One was to not cram -- build in stages and don't try to pull an all-nighter before the show.   I was trying to finish stuff I should have done way back.   I still have to learn to not feel bad for not winning anything, lol.    I've never brought an entry to any show before so this is a first for me.   But really if you're going to a show with some of the best modellers around and they're choosing only 3 from maybe a hundred or so in a category....   It feels good, though, to hear what the people are saying about your model -- I was observing the expressions on their faces and overhearing appreciative comments about the Tomcats and they really brought a smile to my face.  I'm just really thankful, too, that my models survived the trip.    That's the best lesson I've learned, too (although I don't have a solution yet)  -- is  to plan ahead as to how to pack the model so that it gets there in one piece -- will have to look up how people do that.   On the Tomcat alone you have those pitot tubes jutting out -- both of my Tomcats had their front needles bent.    And you've got the tanks and pylons -- I'd love to know how people transport theirs.   Pete told about his sofa cushion method.   He takes out chunks from a big piece of foam to hollow out a cradle for the model.    I've seen some models with really intricate pieces hanging out, though -- I still have no idea how they tranported theirs.   Take helicopters for instance.    I don't think those propellers are detachable, so do they bring them in one piece?   I figure that propeller will be happily bobbing up and down the whole trip, compromising the joints.   That's a real headscratcher.

Edited by crackerjazz

Thanx for these pix CJ!

This show set new records for HeritageCon ... just over 1,000 models on the tables and lotsa $$$ ... so this show is a fundraiser for the Museum and they collected a lotta moolah!

CJ, if you go into the show with low expectations of winning, it's a treat to win an award. But, I'm surprised to read that this is your first time entering ... but your category is HUGE so how the Judges winnow down those entries and look at all the details of a winning model, baffles me. They need a pat on the back!

The Sofa cushion method works very well for me. Think of the LMs with all those antennae and landing probes sticking out ... you cut out the foam strategically to allow for them and then add side supports ... it works really well! 

I didn't win an award but that's quite alright. I had people come up to me and tell me they liked it and even took photos of 'em ... that makes my day! Plus, in chatting with other modellers, I learned a couple of things I'll hafta try later on ... BONUS!

Your Tomcats were lovely and I wish all your added details and efforts were exhibited too, so the Judges could make a better decision, but ... that's life. Have you posted pix on the main Page? The Discussion page on ARC?

Thanx again CJ ... and it was terrific to see you, Ricardo and Ret. 

Till next year!

Pete

11 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Congrats, Pete! Looking forward to seeing those Fine Scale Modeler pics as well!   It sure was a great show, Ret.   As for me I learned quite a few lessons.   One was to not cram -- build in stages and don't try to pull an all-nighter before the show.   I was trying to finish stuff I should have done way back.   I still have to learn to not feel bad for not winning anything, lol.    I've never brought an entry to any show before so this is a first for me.   But really if you're going to a show with some of the best modellers around and they're choosing only 3 from maybe a hundred or so in a category....   It feels good, though, to hear what the people are saying about your model -- I was observing the expressions on their faces and overhearing appreciative comments about the Tomcats and they really brought a smile to my face.  I'm just really thankful, too, that my models survived the trip.    That's the best lesson I've learned, too (although I don't have a solution yet)  -- is  to plan ahead as to how to pack the model so that it gets there in one piece -- will have to look up how people do that.   On the Tomcat alone you have those pitot tubes jutting out -- both of my Tomcats had their front needles bent.    And you've got the tanks and pylons -- I'd love to know how people transport theirs.   Pete told about his sofa cushion method.   He takes out chunks from a big piece of foam to hollow out a cradle for the model.    I've seen some models with really intricate pieces hanging out, though -- I still have no idea how they tranported theirs.   Take helicopters for instance.    I don't think those propellers are detachable, so do they bring them in one piece?   I figure that propeller will be happily bobbing up and down the whole trip, compromising the joints.   That's a real headscratcher.

Hello CJ:

Thanks for the pictures!!!. I was not able to get a good shot of your F14s. They were one of the nice surprises of the show! When I saw them clips of the movie played in my mind. It is a fantastic presentation I love it! I can imagine the kind of challenge to move them from your car to the museum. The winds were so strong.

One piece of advice that I think you learn already. Don’t finish any model the night before a show. Winning or losing you always had some details that you don’t finish. Sometimes it could happens: paint reacts, the varnish got finger marks, and the decals fall off because you hurry the pie from, the oven. Enjoy your model, enjoy the build and the learning from it.

I think that you already get your award that you don’t know. The smile of the people and the comments are better that any piece of metal. Meeting with people, especially the ones that use or maintain the machines, and they told you how well you capture the model, had no price.

Seeing Pete and Ret works always inspires me. It gives me new ways and drives me to do my models. I agree with Ret. The amount of time that Pete dedicates to making what you have in a box into models, is not understood by many people. Every time that I see the cutaway Columbia, I get amazed!

CJ the HeritageCON had become a big show for Southern Ontario, the Midwest and the Northeast of the USA in the last few years. As Ret said it is a “little overwhelming”. Sometimes people from other countries come to compete. It had become like a size of Regional in the USA. The contesters sometimes are people that publish in the magazine “professionally” had YouTube channels, bloggers, owners of the website and people who build for magazines. So, if thought to make it. Because they use their awards to attract clients or followers. So don’t feel bad. At the same time, sometimes you win the first prize in one contest and in the next one you don’t win anything.

To the show, I also bring an F16A 20 Anniversary from the Venezuela Air Force, before the “revolution” a Viper from the original Battlestar Galactica and a Henrick from the Mak. Zbv.3000.I bring my LM11 and the Apollo 15 LRV for the exhibition.

In this link, you can see the album of all the pictures that I take for the IPMS Hamilton. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=rshobbyattic&set=a.748994843443183 .

Here are some pictures that I took from the real space category plus my other entries and a couple of pictures from Gustavo and Clara, one of the top Airshow Photographers that come to cover the show. Look for them on Facebook or Instagram under Gusair Gus N Clara or visit the website http://gusair.com/

Enjoy

Ricardo

_RSP1764.jpg

_RSP1763.jpg

_RSP1762.jpg

_RSP1761.jpg

_RSP1765.jpg

_RSP1766.jpg

_RSP1767.jpg

_RSP1768.jpg

_RSP1769.jpg

_RSP1770.jpg

_RSP1771.jpg

_RSP1772.jpg

_RSP1773.jpg

_RSP1774.jpg

_RSP1775.jpg

_RSP1776.jpg

_RSP1777.jpg

_RSP1778.jpg

_RSP1779.jpg

_RSP1780.jpg

_RSP1781.jpg

_RSP1782.jpg

_RSP1783.jpg

_RSP1784.jpg

_RSP1787.jpg

_RSP1820.jpg

_RSP1870.jpg

_RSP1915.jpg

_RSP1916.jpg

_RSP1917.jpg

_RSP1918.jpg

_RSP1919.jpg

_RSP1920.jpg

_RSP1921.jpg

_RSP1922.jpg

_RSP1923.jpg

_RSP1924.jpg

_RSP1925.jpg

_RSP1926.jpg

_RSP1927.jpg

_RSP1928.jpg

_RSP1929.jpg

_RSP1930.jpg

_RSP1931.jpg

_RSP1932.jpg

_RSP1933.jpg

337398754_221312717234188_6277980096262410979_n.jpg

337672821_1045077153145833_6721219092685381159_n.jpg

337869623_614960570065254_5540177935856900723_n.jpg

338152726_1434814160684154_6062616155688165468_n.jpg

IMG_3934.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

IMG_3936.jpg

IMG_3982.jpg

IMG_4415.jpg

IMG_4194.jpg

IMG_4257.jpg

IMG_4258.jpg

IMG_4416.jpg

IMG_4417.jpg

IMG_4419.jpg

IMG_4423.jpg

IMG_4454.jpg

IMG_4455.jpg

IMG_4456.jpg

IMG_4005.jpg

Excellent Photos Ricardo!

Thank You ... and even a photo of me tearing down the display ... and of my Arrow ... BONUS!

You took pix of a lot of models I hadn't seen at the show. I guess i did too much visiting and not enough viewing ... ;^ D

I shall definitely look at your album!

GREAT JOB!

Pete

That little, highly detailed Ascent Stage was 1/48 ... and it was built by a guy from Montreal ( a 9 hour drive! ) I think his name is Jean-Marc Perreault. He's not a Real Space modeller but he delves into a wi-i-ide variety of subject matter ... but, as you can see, he is superb!

Hey, soutwestforests, what about your favorites among the non-space builds -- like that pair of Tomcats with the corny base!  🤪 Just kidding : )    

Thanks for those tips, Ricardo, really good points.  I really learned a lot from this event.   By the way, one thing I'd wish were possible was if they'd allowed the modeller to post their names or emails so that you'd know who they were built by.   I know this is not possible because of possible bias when judging but only if there were such a show -- just a display show and not a contest.   It would be awesome to be able to contact someone with a similar interest and learn their techniques.

Somehow these all end up to be anonymous builds -- like unsigned paintings.

img%5D  

img%5D

img%5D  

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

Hey CJ - I've seen your F-14s in a few photoshoots from Heritagecon - Ricardo linked to Fine Scale Modeler facebook page with pics posted - yours is there! - Have a look!

I think the thing about these shows is that there are two separate aspects to them - there is the "show" part of them and there's the "competition" part. It's of course nice to get a medal - but there are so many variables to work through with that - I don't envy the judges for sure. But, it's also great and rewarding to have folks recognize and appreciate your work. Your Tomcats were fantastic!

IPMS HAMILTON Canadian Warplane Heritage Modellers Club | Facebook

On 3/29/2023 at 11:30 AM, habu2 said:

What scale was that super-detailed LM ascent stage model?  and who built it?

It was 1/48. I think that is base on the simulator of the Cradle of Aviation Museum https://www.cradleofaviation.org/history/exhibits/exhibit-galleries/exploring_space/grumman_lunar_module_simulator.html

On 3/29/2023 at 12:48 PM, southwestforests said:

Some sweet space models there. 😎

Favorite models so far are: LM pairing of concept and actual; the original Battlestar Galactica Viper; the Avro Arrow; and especially that larger scale Lunar Rover with 2 astronauts.

There are more pictures of that LRV on the forum http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/292538-lunar-rover-vehicle-132/

Ricardo

On 3/30/2023 at 8:30 PM, Ret said:

Hey CJ - I've seen your F-14s in a few photoshoots from Heritagecon - Ricardo linked to Fine Scale Modeler facebook page with pics posted - yours is there! - Have a look!

I think the thing about these shows is that there are two separate aspects to them - there is the "show" part of them and there's the "competition" part. It's of course nice to get a medal - but there are so many variables to work through with that - I don't envy the judges for sure. But, it's also great and rewarding to have folks recognize and appreciate your work. Your Tomcats were fantastic!

IPMS HAMILTON Canadian Warplane Heritage Modellers Club | Facebook

Ret you are right CJ F14 are making quite a buzz on Social Media

Ricardo