Hello. It’s long time since last talking here. I came across very nice Clearprop 1/72 HH-2D in a shop and curious if the D version suitable for Vietnam war helo? I know that earlier models work fine for the perios but I rather like a look of four blades tail rotor. Anyone please educate me on it…

23 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

Maybe limited use as the conflict wound down.

"HH-2D search & rescue variant, operated by the US Coast Guard. Six of these helicopters were delivered in 1970."

USCG never used the Seasprite.  Only US navy and the US Army tested three as gunships, but they returned them to the Navy.

Here is the skinny from Helis.com/database for the Kaman Seasprite:

Seasprite was originally conceived as a small-ships, single engined combat search and rescue airframe for the US Navy. The prototype first flew on 2 Jul 1959. 184 UH-2A/B were built between 1961 and 1963. Between 1967 and 1970 most were upgraded to UH-2C or HH-2C by retrofit of twin 1250 SHP T58-GE-8B turboshaft engines. Further modifications to LAMPS-1 SH-3D standard in 1973 for some airframes. Upgrades to ASW equipped SH-3D for further airframes. Production restarted in 1981 in response to President Reagans 600 ship fleet initiative and the delay to the SH-60B Seahawk, with more powerful (1350 SHP) T58-GE-8F twin engines and the Kaman 101 rotor system which became the SH-2F. All remaining US Navy -C/D models have been upgraded to -F. 
Plans announced in 1985 to provide an improved version of the Kaman SH-2G Seasprite, mainly for the us export market (initially for South Korea and Taiwan). By 2001, airframes were in use in Australia, Egypt, New Zealand and Poland.

The SH-2G Super Seasprite has improved twin GE T700-GE-401 turboshaft engines.

Model    Year    History
YHU2K-1    1958    Kaman proposed the Model K-20 to fulfill the light utility role for the US Navy in 1957 and won! The Kaman design featured four blades on the main rotor and three blades on the tail rotor with a single General Electric T58-8F turboshaft engine located above the cabin. Kaman built four YHU2K-1 Seasprite prototypes in 1958-59. These were redesignated as YUH-2A in 1962.

UH-2A    1959    Kaman built 84 Model K-20 HU2K-1 (UH-2A) Seasprite light utility helicopters for the US Navy from 1958-1960, before production switched to the improved HU2K-1U (UH-2B). Survivors were subsequently converted to UH-2C, HH-2C, HH-2D, SH-2D, & SH-2F models. 

UH-2B    1960    Kaman built 102 Model K-20 HU2K-1U (UH-2B) light utility helicopters for the US Navy from 1960-1962. Survivors were subsequently converted to UH-2C, HH-2D, SH-2D, & SH-2F models.

UH-2C    1965    Total of 41 UH-2A & UH-2B twin-engined upgrade conversions starting in 1965, with UH-2A 147981 serving as the prototype.

HH-2D    1968    

SH-2D    1970    

YSH-2E    1971    Two Seasprites were converted to YSH-2E LAMPS II configuration. YSH-2E 149033 was one of two tested by HSL-31 in 1972 aboard USS Fox (DLG-33). The other YSH-2E was 150169 tested by HC-5.

SH-2F    1973    The SH-2F consists of an upgrade to existing UH-2C, HH-2D and SH-2D which includes a very low vibration rotor system, improved LN 66HP radar and a tail wheel re-positioned at mid rear fuselage.

SH-2G    1985    

@Teeradej  So, while conceivable that an HH-2D could have been used at the tail end of Vietnam, I am not sure how many were fielded by then. There were still some A/B airframes around.  Most fleet units would have had a mix of A/B/C models.  The UH-2A/B all had single engine, single main tires and three blade tail rotor.  The upgraded UH/HH-2C had the new twin engine layout with three blade tail rotor.  The further upgraded HH/SH-2D had twin engines, twin main tires and new four blade tail rotor. 

Do you have a particular machine in mind?  Use the helis.com/database link to research individual c/n histories (up to a point).  The Clear Prop UH-2C & HH-2D kits both come with the same plastic, just different decals and optional parts. Both kits include the three & four blade tail rotor.

Kind regards,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
added links.

Thanks gentlemen for very informative replies and links. @DutchNot really any specific choppper in my mind. It seems good to do some more research on navysite.de to find if there is any example shot of the D from Vietnam cruises on different carriers. @Tailspin TurtleWith a nice shot on your superb blog I found that the closest to my preference in term of readily available decal option is HH-2C instead the D from Printscale Seasprite pt.2. However I also found some modification for gun works required.