Which is the Best B-17F in 1/72?

For what it's worth I used the Hasegawa B-17F for my 'Pub'. I was pleased.  I have no idea if there is a 'best' version, everyone weighs priorities differently.  I used the Hasegawa version when I had the opportunity to swap my 1/48 kit for a 1/72 one, decals and all. 

Edited by peter havriluk
more text
3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Probably the newer tool Revell kit.  The Hasegawa and Academy kits are older (much older in the case of Hasegawa) and not very detailed.

I still like the Revell B17's, but as much as I like them; I liked the old Promodeler even more. Have not had one in a while, but see them for sale regularly. Would really like to see HKM do a small scale B17

gary

34 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

I still like the Revell B17's, but as much as I like them; I liked the old Promodeler even more. Have not had one in a while, but see them for sale regularly. Would really like to see HKM do a small scale B17

gary

Gary, which is the old Promodeler kit?   Is this the Revell Germany kit?

33 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

gary

Accord to Scalemates, the 1/72 Promodeler B-17 is a G model, plus it’s a rebox of the same basic Revell kit.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/pro-modeler-85-5861-b-17g-flying-fortress--188000

On 3/31/2023 at 7:19 PM, Drifterdon said:

Gary, which is the old Promodeler kit?   Is this the Revell Germany kit?

I'd guess it to be the older Monogram kit. Revell may have reboxed it under their name, but not sure it's the same plastic. 

gary

8 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

I ended up purchasing this kit from the Bay.   Price was reasonable and some of the on-line builds had it looking like what I was after.   

B-17F "Memphis Belle", Revell 04279 (2012) (scalemates.com)

good kit, but there are at least three different B17f's made. Not sure which one fits your bill, but doubt it's the very late one with the chin turret.

gary

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2023 at 8:38 PM, ChesshireCat said:

good kit, but there are at least three different B17f's made. Not sure which one fits your bill, but doubt it's the very late one with the chin turret.

gary

Gary,

My plan is to build Ye Olde Pub which was I believe an earlier B-17F.   Here are some links to paintings of Pub before and after her mission where she got all shot up and Franz Stigler helped to shepherd them out of Germany.

B-17 "Ye Olde Pub" profile art print by Jim Laurier – ValorStudios

"The Guardian" an A Higher Call print by Nicolas Trudgian – ValorStudios

"The Guardian Returns" Franz Stigler art by Nicolas Trudgian – ValorStudios

4 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

Gary,

My plan is to build Ye Olde Pub which was I believe an earlier B-17F.   Here are some links to paintings of Pub before and after her mission where she got all shot up and Franz Stigler helped to shepherd them out of Germany.

B-17 "Ye Olde Pub" profile art print by Jim Laurier – ValorStudios

"The Guardian" an A Higher Call print by Nicolas Trudgian – ValorStudios

"The Guardian Returns" Franz Stigler art by Nicolas Trudgian – ValorStudios

thanks for answering a question that's been on my mind for years. Which B17f was Charlie Brown's plane of course. I kinda want to combine a B17f with a B17g and some after market to build a "late" B17f someday. Ye Old Pub has always been on my bucket list after reading the book No Higher Call. Want to do Mr. Stigler's 109 as well.

gary

21 minutes ago, peter havriluk said:

A combined decal set is available, and I've used the 1/72 version. 

I have the combined decals in 1/72 and 1/48.   I'll do the Pub in 1/72 simply because I don't have the room for a 1/48 Fort and Franz's Bf-109G will be in 1/48.   Which means I have decals for the Pub in 1/48 and a Bf-109G in 1/72 available if anyone need them.