Spray Booth for spare room

Wife finally gave the green light and said it was ok for me to use the spare bedroom as a workshop. I love my garage, but it's getting too damn hot, and the cost of a split system is 7k... Thats a hard no. 

My question, which is general, is this. From what I've seen, these spray booths are somewhat small. For instance, I like to hold a 1/48 aircraft by the rear exhaust outlets, prior to placing the cans inside. move it around while I paint to get better light angles and even spray.  It seems as if whatever you are painting has to sit on the platform inside the box. Am I correct? Never used one before or seen one in person, so correct e if I am wrong but it looks as if you can't move the model around so much. 

Thanks alot fellas - Ed

Ed, I’m assuming you have a window you can work in front of?  Don’t complicate it.  The idea is to draft air. Plain and simple.  Go buy yourself a set of window fans and some gator foam board and white Gator tape. 
Window fans

Simply build a “box” you can put around the fans so you’re not pulling air from the sides. Just tape it all together.  Put some sort of weather stripping on the edge of the board where it meets the window frame to seal it.  You don’t need an enclosure that the model  has to be inside of to spray.  Simply in front of it will work fine.  You’re airbrushing, not shooting paint using a DeVilbiss JGA502 automotive paint gun. 

Now if your window opening is at a lower level or a side opening window and you cannot work on the floor, yea. That complicates things, but you can still build a duct system out of the gator foam board.  

I’ve seen setups using the fan from the link I sent you in the other thread attached to a large clear Tupperware storage bin and ducted out the window with dryer vent hose as I did mine. 

Did I “need” a booth as fancy and nice as I did mine? No.  But I have the wood working skills, I have the tools, so why not! 

FWIW, My brother was simply using a 20” box fan thrown in his window without any sides and it drafted out air just fine. 

Edited by Scott Smith
1 hour ago, Scott Smith said:

Ed, I’m assuming you have a window you can work in front of?  Don’t complicate it.  The idea is to draft air. Plain and simple.  Go buy yourself a set of window fans and some gator foam board and white Gator tape. 
Window fans

Simply build a “box” you can put around the fans so you’re not pulling air from the sides. Just tape it all together.  Put some sort of weather stripping on the edge of the board where it meets the window frame to seal it.  You don’t need an enclosure that the model  has to be inside of to spray.  Simply in front of it will work fine.  You’re airbrushing, not shooting paint using a DeVilbiss JGA502 automotive paint gun. 

Now if your window opening is at a lower level or a side opening window and you cannot work on the floor, yea. That complicates things, but you can still build a duct system out of the gator foam board.  

I’ve seen setups using the fan from the link I sent you in the other thread attached to a large clear Tupperware storage bin and ducted out the window with dryer vent hose as I did mine. 

Did I “need” a booth as fancy and nice as I did mine? No.  But I have the wood working skills, I have the tools, so why not! 

FWIW, My brother was simply using a 20” box fan thrown in his window without any sides, and it drafted out air just fine. 

Hey man thanks for the response. I think I reposted this elsewhere on an older thread and you gave me very valuable info. Ideally, I want to stay inside the garage. I live in S. Florida and its already getting brutal inside there, as my house faces east and is a single level. My old house, faced west with a very large home in front of it blocking the sun, with a bedroom upstairs and on the opposite side of one of the walls was a family room, the other side was attached to another carriage type house so, I guess my point is that the walls stayed generally cool hence forth the garage stayed cool up until about June. My garage now gets baked on every angle. I even went as far as getting a few quotes on a Mitsubishi split A/C system and was quoted very high, around 6600-7k.. (They will get you 70 degrees inside that garage even in August I am told)  

Thats a hard no unless I'm running a business in there. So.. 

What I may do is just shell out the dough, around $450.00 and get that Pace Booth. I have a window in a spare room that slides open from right to left. So, I'll Grab a dryer hose from Home Depot, a nice piece of foam board cut about 7" wide to fit the 4" hose with outlet and fit it to the window. I've done some holiday displays and have all the hot knives to make an almost perfect fit when in use. 

At the end of the day, $450.00 may sound like a lot for a spray booth, and it probably is, but it sure beats 7k, and my Wife wants everything to look neat.. lol 

Sounds good!  I have that much or more in the bench/booth I showed you in the other thread.  Of course I wired in all my lighting and fan controls in, added outlets and one with a USB charge port.  For 20 years I built on an old fold out cafeteria table with a shelf on the back and a small 3 drawer tool chest to keep stuff in.  It was a total cluttered mess.  Had I known years ago how nice it is to be organized and places to keep building tools and oddball items stored with easy access, I would have done this years ago.  Of course years ago I was in a basement without any outside access to vent a booth.