HI all,

Stressed skin we often see especially in Japanese WW2 planes and others. I know they are not very esthetic but realism they are needed. Yet no stressed skin from model markers and when we will see them if at all ? Dai 

Edited by dai phan

I expect that cutting a mold to represent stressed skin would require quite a bit of time, and time is money, in both the design phase's computer drafting, and the physical milling of the mold.

It would also introduce many more points of potential error in those processes.

Adding a hundred and forty-seven representations of stressed skin panels between various rows of rivets is a hundred and forty-seven more points where error can be introduced.

Same reason ship models don't show the dished skin that I saw on so many ships while Dad was in Navy and now that I live by a river with barge traffic.

Unless and until the overwhelming majority of the market emphatically demands it, it ain't gonna happen.

Does wrinkled fabric and rippled plywood count? If so, WNW has done the former and Eduard the latter. The Border Models Lancaster and the Airfix Typhoon kits have representations of the "oil canning" appearance of some metal clad airframes.  airfix_typhoon.jpg  

Border_Model_s_new_Lancaster_B.MK.IIII_i

Edited by Cat Barf

As mentioned, already on a few higher end kits.  I would like to believe as these manufacturing techniques develop and catch on we will see a lot more of this in future kits.  Especially if it becomes a simple algorithm thrown into the CNC process (I have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about here, just spitballing it) it will add time to the mold making.  But expect to pay more for your kits.  Example, price difference between the HK Lancaster and the Border Lancaster. 

Question is, are you willing to toss out your stash of kits and pay the upgrade costs?  I know for me, maybe a couple of kits, but I’m pretty happy with the majority of my 1/32 stuff.  F-86 is one I’d like to see with accurate skin. 

Good question; I remember an article in FSM many years ago on how to replicate stressed skin on an airplane using thick varnish and some sanding, and I figured that the effect would be included in modern kits at some point. Still, it seems it isn't too popular because I have only seen it a few times, either included in the kit or made by the modeler, mostly on bigger scales.

I think the effect suits some subjects better than others; fabric-covered surfaces are good candidates, and most modern kits represented them well; the B-52 front fuselage and WWII bombers could be good options too.

Here I left you a good example of a well-done effect that really enhances the model's finish.

Wow, that stressed skin effect looks amazing, Cat Barf.   Hi, Cruiz, thick varnish -- that's a great idea.  Something that wouldn't dry up too fast before you could spread it around but also wouldn't dry too slow that it smoothens out.   I guess the only thing you'll need to worry about is how to keep it from filling up the rivet indentations.

1 hour ago, Cat Barf said:

The Kinetic 1/32 F-86 has a representation of stressed skin:

kinetic_f-86.jpg

🤡  I guess I should have opened the box and taken a look, eh?  How about the fuselage?  I know the real thing is pretty wrinkled. 

Wow, that stressed skin effect looks amazing, Cat Barf.   Hi, Cruiz, thick varnish -- that's a great idea.  Something that wouldn't dry up too fast before you could spread it around but also wouldn't dry too slow that it smoothens out.   I guess the only thing you'll need to worry about is how to keep it from filling up the rivet indentations.  I've been interested in this, too, for replicating the Lunar Module aluminum skin that floats over a skeleton frame.    It's often depicted as solid plates in models and scratchbuilders have used either paper,  aluminum seals from Ovaltine cans, or aluminum trays.  I'm worried about paint flaking off though - it might still be better to paint over a solid surface with molded-in wrinkles.

On 4/5/2023 at 1:43 PM, dai phan said:

HI all,

Stresses skin we often see especially in Japanese WW2 planes and others. I know they are not very esthetic but realism they are needed. Yet no stressed skin from model markers and when we will see them if at all ? Dai 

The upcoming 1/32 Val Dive bomber has them:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235071718-132-aichi-d3a-val-by-infinity-models/page/2/#comments

I have seen some try stressed skin on a couple models, mostly the B-52, which has some good ones in front of its wings.  I tried it myself once and it didn't come out that well so I stopped.  Most people don't want the stressed effect so I don't see the companies adding it anytime soon if at all.  This leaves you with a choice, try it or don't.  You could always practice on an old kit.