Gloss Coating/Varnishing

Just opinions. Do you guys find is absolutely necessary, to gloss prior to decaling, and panel line washing? In the past, after doing so my panel line wash would wipe right off after gloss coating, whereas the wash would bite right in just going over the paint. Q-Tips dipped in white spirits would wipe away excess no worries... So.. 

What do you guys think? 

9 hours ago, Ed DeVivo said:

Do you guys find is absolutely necessary, to gloss prior to decaling

That part, Yes.

The reason flat paint is flat is because it has a surface akin to microscopic sandpaper which breaks up the light reflection.

Applying decals to that is like putting Scotch tape over sandpaper.

Go try it now then come back and finish reading this.

... ⏲️...

The decal doesn't have full adhesion & it risks, even guarantees, that eternally famous silvering.

Applying decals to either gloss paint or a clear gloss coat would be more like applying that Scotch tape to glass.

1 hour ago, southwestforests said:

That part, Yes.

The reason flat paint is flat is because it has a surface akin to microscopic sandpaper which breaks up the light reflection.

Applying decals to that is like putting Scotch tape over sandpaper.

Go try it now then come back and finish reading this.

... ⏲️...

The decal doesn't have full adhesion & it risks, even guarantees, that eternally famous silvering.

Applying decals to either gloss paint or a clear gloss coat would be more like applying that Scotch tape to glass.

Good point 

While I had good results from Tamiya rattle-can sprays, I have with the last couple models moved to airbrushing the overcoats.  My process has become as follows

1. Paint
  2. Some Weathering
  3. Gloss Coat
  4. Decal
  5. Some Weathering (to affect the decals)
  6. Dull coat
  7. panel lines and final weathering
  8. Dull coat or semi gloss (depending on scale)

I've been doing mostly 144 scale kits the past few years, and while it adds a month to mine build time, some of the aftermarket decals are SUPER fragile and need that extra protection IMO.  I'm not winning any contests mind you so take my thought with a grain of salt.

This is a kit where I did not dull coat after decalling  You can probably see as you mentioned, how the panel lines rubbed off of the trailing flaps leaving more "smudge" and less "weathering"
1246725-69465-94-1440.thumb.jpg.57625c7e00b6d42ae673c6485c602257.jpg

And here's one where I took the extra steps.  IMO the weathering laid down much better and is more realistic allowing more work to show. 

1329320-69465-74-1440.jpg

There are several youtube videos dedicated to this topic.  Good surface prep and smooth paint work will negate the need for any gloss coating prior to decals and weathering.  A good decal solvent will address any potential issues with silvering.

3 hours ago, lockheed2004 said:

There are several youtube videos dedicated to this topic.  Good surface prep and smooth paint work will negate the need for any gloss coating prior to decals and weathering.  A good decal solvent will address any potential issues with silvering.

You need a stable surface that has the chemical...fortitude to resist setting solutions as well. 

That doesn't mean you have to gloss before decals.  Test your setting solution on a paint mule beforehand if you're worried.  A nice, even paint finish goes a lot farther than hosing something on with the consistency of rough sand paper, then using gloss to level it out.

18 minutes ago, lockheed2004 said:

That doesn't mean you have to gloss before decals.  Test your setting solution on a paint mule beforehand if you're worried.  A nice, even paint finish goes a lot farther than hosing something on with the consistency of rough sand paper, then using gloss to level it out.

Sometimes people don’t have the choice of shooting a gloss paint, or even one that’s going to lay down super smooth. 

That has nothing to do with the original question which was is it absolutely necessary to gloss before decals.  First response was yes you must do it.  Plenty of evidence to the contrary on this big old internet that says no you don’t need to gloss before you decal.  You can decal directly over flat paint if the surface is properly prepared.  Financial means has nothing to do with that answer.

5 hours ago, lockheed2004 said:

That has nothing to do with the original question which was is it absolutely necessary to gloss before decals.  First response was yes you must do it.  Plenty of evidence to the contrary on this big old internet that says no you don’t need to gloss before you decal.  You can decal directly over flat paint if the surface is properly prepared.  Financial means has nothing to do with that answer.

I wasn’t referring to finances. 

Edited by CFster