SA-8 some detail shots for Trumpeters kit...

In the 90's I worked at DIA in Washington DC.  One year they brought up the "Petting Zoo" from MISC, Missile and Space Intelligence Center.

There were several intact and operational Anti Aircraft systems, and SA-9, SA-13 and the SA-8.  We were allowed to crawl all over them and photograph anything we wanted to, outside of the Classified trailer.

The attached shots are from the SA-8.  Fully amphibious, and rumored to be operational on the water.  There is a backup system on the same chassis used to transport the missiles.  I photographed on in the outskirts of Baghdad.  

The overall side image shows the ASR, Air Search Radar, Target illuminators and the guidance radar.  On top of the radar unit is an optical unit that can guide the missiles via Electro Optical guidance.

the aft view shows the missile canisters, ASR, and the thruster ports used to propel the vehicle on the water.

Crew access hatch, located on the top RH side of the vehicle.  Just above the hatch you can see the J Band engagement antenna.

the 6 tires are identical, and can be aired up on the go.

__SA-8_RH_View.jpg

_SA-8_Aft_View.jpg

__SA-8_Crew_Access.jpg

_SA-8_tire_details.jpg

Edited by BWDenver
update

Radar / missile canister details.  the SA-8 mounts 6 missile canisters.  3 on each side.  The sit between the ASR.  The first shot is of the canister mounting hardware looking aft.

Second shot, the missile canister mounting hardware from the side.

On each side of the Missile track antenna are the missile guidance radars.  The unit has two one on each side of the missile tracking radar.  The large antenna is the J Band parabolic dish antenna to track the missile.  Below the J Band Parabolic is a canister antenna, I band uplink. capture beam to gather the missile shortly after launch.  The final antenna is the square white unit that function as the command uplink antennas.

4th shot of the back of the TGR, Target Guidance Radar.

_Missle_Sup_braces.jpg

_Missle_Sup_braces_aft.jpg

_SA-8_Target_Illum_LH.jpg

SA-8_Target_Illum_Guidance_Opticle.jpg

Edited by BWDenver
update

The crew appears to be 4, a driver, and radar track, lock-on and intercept stations.

The drivers position is in the left front of the vehicle.  He sits behind windows that are hinged and pop out of ventilation.  to the right of the drivers station is the area you enter the vehicle through,

The third shot is the area immediately to the left of the driver.

I'll post the remainder of the shots later on.

Hope this helps armor modelers.  From my perspective as an Army Pilot, I had a healthier respect for all the SAM systems, especially the SA-8.

_SA-8_Driver-Position.jpg

SA-8_Driver-Position_Rt.jpg

_Driver area far left.jpg

Back of the systems compartment, and the door (presumably) to the engine bay.  The column in the middle of the image is the electrical connections up to the missile turret.

SA-8_Aft_Comp_turret_panel_area.jpg

Edited by BWDenver

And finally the control station for the TELAR, Transporter Erector Launcher And Radar.  

Positions for the three-intercept crew, and the major parts of the stations.

When and if I find the slides for the SA-9 and SA-13 I'll post those.

For those who want to do a killer SA-8, this should help. 

Happy modeling.

SA-8_Targeting_Guidance_EW-Search-ID_visula ID_Anti_jamming_Intercept.jpg

SA-8_Targeting_Guidance_EW-Search-ID_visula ID_Anti_jamming_Intercept_Component.jpg

Edited by BWDenver
  • 4 weeks later...