Academy 1/48 F-16A/C

Ok, I also picked up the Tamiya F16C/N in 1/48. In that kit, you can build a block 30, 32, N version and a block 42. I assume you can build a block 40 with that kit. Is there any other external differences between block 42 and block 40 other than engines, like attenas and sensors and such? Maybe the F16CJ block 50 model, you can build the block 40, not sure though.

9 hours ago, Raptor.777 said:

Ok, I also picked up the Tamiya F16C/N in 1/48. In that kit, you can build a block 30, 32, N version and a block 42. I assume you can build a block 40 with that kit. Is there any other external differences between block 42 and block 40 other than engines, like attenas and sensors and such? Maybe the F16CJ block 50 model, you can build the block 40, not sure though.

You can also build a block 25 and 40 from this kit. 
As for the block 40/42, main difference is GE engine and MCID (Large mouth) intake, while PW-100 and "Small mouth" intake for the block 42. Rest is identical. 

1 hour ago, Niels said:

You can also build a block 25 and 40 from this kit. 
As for the block 40/42, main difference is GE engine and MCID (Large mouth) intake, while PW-100 and "Small mouth" intake for the block 42. Rest is identical. 

Didn't the 40 take a special HUD to?

WAR HUD was on USAF Block 40 & 42, it was primarily intended to exploit the imaging capabilities of the LANTIRN pods. 

There were some export customers with WAR HUDs on other Blocks, maybe Egypt?  I can't remember....

Turkey and Bahrain also had B40 jets but I don't know which HUD they had. Block 42 is USAF only, no export users. 

12 minutes ago, habu2 said:

WAR HUD was on USAF Block 40 & 42, it was primarily intended to exploit the imaging capabilities of the LANTIRN pods. 

There were some export customers with WAR HUDs on other Blocks, maybe Egypt?  I can't remember....

Turkey and Bahrain also had B40 jets but I don't know which HUD they had. Block 42 is USAF only, no export users. 

I wonder if the F16C/N Tamiya kit I bought has the WAR HUD. It also represents a block 42. We will see I guess.

13 minutes ago, Raptor.777 said:

I wonder if the F16C/N Tamiya kit I bought has the WAR HUD. It also represents a block 42. We will see I guess.

You can see the instructions here.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/6/3/8/106638-60-instructions.pdf

Both HUDs are included.

28 minutes ago, habu2 said:

I believe Israeli Block 40s didn’t use the WAR HUD either.

26 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

You can see the instructions here.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/6/3/8/106638-60-instructions.pdf

Both HUDs are included.

I believe Israeli Block 40s didn’t use the WAR HUD either.

Thanks for all of the info. I ended up buying the Tamiya Block 50 today. So now I have all 3 Tamiya kits coming.

7 hours ago, Raptor.777 said:

Didn't the 40 take a special HUD to?

The block 40 and 42 have the same WAR HUD, which is in the kit. 

Although the various blocks are standardized, there is always suttle differences between users, and they are too many to list easily here. Go with the reference photos you have/find, and if everything else fails you always have www.f-16.net 😉

Edited by Niels
48 minutes ago, Niels said:

The block 40 and 42 have the same WAR HUD, which is in the kit. 

Although the various blocks are standardized, there is always suttle differences between users, and they are too many to list easily here. Go with the reference photos you have/find, and if everything else fails you always have www.f-16.net 😉

Do you know if the block 42 jets have the bird slicers in front of the windscreen?

7 hours ago, habu2 said:

Turkish F-16 Block 40 (Some Block 40 has WAC HUD) and 50+ are using WAR HUD.

hud.jfif

8 hours ago, Raptor.777 said:

Do you know if the block 42 jets have the bird slicers in front of the windscreen?

Those are AIFF antenna for the APX-111 system. They were added to all Block 25/30/32 USAF jets that received the CUPID upgrade, and all Block 50/52 USAF jets that received the CCIP upgrade, and later added to USAF ANG Block 42 (but not 40) CCIP jets. They are also present on all MLU jets and the newer Block 50+/52+ jets in foreign service. 

2 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Those are AIFF antenna for the APX-111 system. They were added to all Block 25/30/32 USAF jets that received the CUPID upgrade, and all Block 50/52 USAF jets that received the CCIP upgrade, and later added to USAF ANG Block 42 (but not 40) CCIP jets. They are also present on all MLU jets and the newer Block 50+/52+ jets in foreign service. 

Thanks for the info

10 hours ago, Raptor.777 said:

This is a feature that came with the CCIP program for the block 50/52's, and which has been included on some block 40/42's. But not all. The ANG units flying blcok 40/42's have had this installed as state-financed upgrade. Others, like 31FW at Aviano do not (regular USAF btw) 

I don't know if this helps anyone at all, but in 2009 two 144th Fighter Wing F-16s did a fly-by at an air show, and one of them had the "bird slicer" IFF antennas and the other didn't.

Antennas:

http://www.techflyer.net/images/rs09/album/1U8P7375.jpg

No antennas:

http://www.techflyer.net/images/rs09/album/1U8P7331.jpg

1 hour ago, Ken Cartwright said:

I don't know if this helps anyone at all, but in 2009 two 144th Fighter Wing F-16s did a fly-by at an air show, and one of them had the "bird slicer" IFF antennas and the other didn't.

Antennas:

No antennas:

Thanks. Think I'm going to order some extra parts from Tamiya. Going to make the F16CN into a block 42. No bird slicers in that kit, also have to get some armaments from Tamiya to. I know there is aftermarket available to. Maybe some other sprue to. Also bought some Caracal decals for the Have Glass scheme, the dark grey version

Saw some decals on Sprue brothers for block 40 and 50 F-16C's. A couple versions showed weapon configurations using the APKWS (advanced precision kill system) Essentially a 2.75" HYDRA rocket with a laser guidance kit attached between the rocket body and warhead. Does anyone know if they were used against light ground targets or just drones and cruise missiles?Looked they were loaded on a TER with 1 or 2 7 shot rocket pods and GBU 38's on the other wing. Looked like a pretty cool set up

Jeff

24 minutes ago, Raptor.777 said:

Does anyone know if they were used against light ground targets or just drones and cruise missiles?Looked they were loaded on a TER with 1 or 2 7 shot rocket pods

APKWS has been tested in A2A engagement and succesfully, however not sure if there is any operational experience in this context. 

As weapon against ground targets, it is in widespread use by all US services and have been for some years. Primarily it is a ground attack weapon. 

45 minutes ago, Niels said:

APKWS has been tested in A2A engagement and succesfully, however not sure if there is any operational experience in this context. 

As weapon against ground targets, it is in widespread use by all US services and have been for some years. Primarily it is a ground attack weapon. 

Air to ground from aircraft like Apaches, A10s, F16s..... or ground to ground? Saw videos of both just want to know which is a more accurate depiction, air to ground or ground to ground for this weapon

F-16's don't do ground to ground well 😉 Sorry for the sarcasm, couldn't help it. The APKWS is a weapon intended for delivery from aircraft to ground targets, so not aware of any ground to ground delivery, however if so used it would not be using aircraft. 
Sorry if I have misunderstood your question, but my understanding is that you inquire about the use from aircraft. 

I have seen videos from being shot from a 2 or 4 shot tube on top of armored vehicles and also aircraft in AA and AG mode. Was just trying to figure out if it was a feasible to be used on F16s or other aircraft in the AG mode that has maybe been used in combat. Watched some videos on YouTube on the actual rocket itself. Pretty interesting. Doesn't lock onto the laser until after it is launched. Folding wings pop out that have laser seekers on them that seek out the laser signature after launch. Different warheads and 2 other versions of the rocket to. Bought some 7 shot rocket tubes that are made for this weapon system from Flying Leathernecks. 

On 4/14/2023 at 11:39 AM, Ken Cartwright said:

Antennas:

No antennas:

That was probably while the squadron was cycling their planes through the upgrade. 

Here's the no antenna plane a few years later with the bird slicers fitted (and transferred to a different squadron):

https://www.airhistory.net/photos/0242156.jpg