F-15E in Desert Storm questions

12 hours ago, M.F.Lunder said:

Another qustion is about the rockeyes, the Hasegawa instrution says to paint them green, but I've seen some online photos and others' built of them painted white, which should be the correct color?

Thanks again, 

Chris

Happy to be corrected on this if others have specific info to the contrary, but I believe Hasegawa's Rockeyes being called out as green are a carryover from their original "demonstrator" kit of 71-291, the pre-production two-seater that McAir used for proof-of-concept. It wore the unique Euro I camouflage and was seen in a number of display flights carrying a full load of dummy Rockeyes that were green with a blue stripe.

AFAIK live Mk 20/ SUU-75 Rockeyes (and training/dummy rounds as well) are normally white. What most people see as "green Rockeyes" are usually the very similar SUU-65 series cluster munitions (CBU-87 "Gator," CBU-103 WCMD, et al - exact CBU designation varies based on the warhead/submunition, fusing, and tail/control group options, most of which are visually similar at 1:72 scale).  The main visual difference between the Mk 20/SUU-75 and SUU-65 is the nose shape - Rockeyes have a tapered ogival front end, while the front of SUU-65s are essentially flat with a rounded edge.

Both Mk. 20 Rockeyes and CBU-87/Bs were carried by 4th TFW F-15Es during Desert Storm.  Assuming you're using the ordnance from Hasegawa's 1:72 kit (the sprue with MERs that originally came from the demonstrator boxing), those are reasonably accurate for Rockeyes so they should be white on Desert Storm F-15Es.

13 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

I’ll have to defer to the guys who actually have hands on experience with the F-15E. All I did was photograph them at air shows and watch them longingly from the Wilbur’s BBQ parking lot. 😄 Looks like the scoops were open when the engines are shut down.

Ben

11 hours ago, kellyF15 said:

They are open on the ground even with the engine operating.  They are the Primary Heat Exchanger inlets.

Thanks again guys, it looks like I can't get lazy about it, I will rebuilt the inlets, Ben's photos are great references.

4 hours ago, Quixote74 said:

Both Mk. 20 Rockeyes and CBU-87/Bs were carried by 4th TFW F-15Es during Desert Storm.  Assuming you're using the ordnance from Hasegawa's 1:72 kit (the sprue with MERs that originally came from the demonstrator boxing), those are reasonably accurate for Rockeyes so they should be white on Desert Storm F-15Es.

Then white they are! I also have the CBU-87s from Hasegawa's weapons set V, I might use them as well. 

Thanks,

Chris

Hi guys, 

I find that the more I dig into it, the more questions arise.

First, I remember @Murphmentioned in other posts that the F-15C at the time was using the old control stick, so I looked through the spare box and found a stick in an old Academy F-15E, which looked different from the current one. So the question is: is it (the light grey one in the following pic) a better resemblance of the old stick, or just some bad molding? The dark grey one is from GWH.

IMG_2083.thumb.JPG.caafeae70e31b7588191041b25fefe49.JPG

And I found 2 pics from dstorm.eu, from the first pic you can see clearly 2 reinforcement plated on the port side stabilizer, yet it seems only the upper one on the starboard side:

172818559_gulf_spirit_7(1).thumb.jpg.f69adc2969ec799a0e8b596aeace0671.jpg

Looking from the opposite angle, it does seem there is only one because you can see the shadow from the upper one:

gulf_spirit_5.thumb.jpg.1ae881512e0331da73826c28bd8038ba.jpg

So it brings the following questions:

1, is the lower reinforment plate only on the port side?

2, if so, does this apply on other Cs?

3, what about the Es? Looking at the GWH and new Academy Es, they only have one plate on the stablilizers.

Thanks,

Chris

Original stick grip in a pre-MSIP cockpit.

Rjc0uSr.jpg

Original stick grip in a MSIP cockpit.

G8jWA8e.jpg

And the later stick grip in a MSIP cockpit.  They started to replace the stick grip post Desert Storm when a new software update provided a situation display on the PACS panel.  The new stick grip allowed HOTAS control of that display.

hxwccp4.jpg

Regards,

Murph

29 minutes ago, Murph said:

Original stick grip in a pre-MSIP cockpit.

Rjc0uSr.jpg

Original stick grip in a MSIP cockpit.

G8jWA8e.jpg

And the later stick grip in a MSIP cockpit.  They started to replace the stick grip post Desert Storm when a new software update provided a situation display on the PACS panel.  The new stick grip allowed HOTAS control of that display.

hxwccp4.jpg

Regards,

Murph

Thanks Murph!  In this case I think the ACA part will do the job. It's good to have you guys around!

Chris

As far as the vertical stabilizer beef up plates, on stike eagles it was a case by case basis depending on cracks when I was on them. I havent been on them since 2008 though.....

24 minutes ago, kellyF15 said:

As far as the vertical stabilizer beef up plates, on stike eagles it was a case by case basis depending on cracks when I was on them. I havent been on them since 2008 though.....

Sounds like they are patches, just out of curiosity, are they custom made for each crack or standard pieces?

8 minutes ago, M.F.Lunder said:

Sounds like they are patches, just out of curiosity, are they custom made for each crack or standard pieces?

I dont even remember lol  I think it depended where the cracks were at.  The verts flex alot in flight.

18 hours ago, kellyF15 said:

I dont even remember lol  I think it depended where the cracks were at.  The verts flex alot in flight.

That makes sense. Considering 85-102 was rather new during Desert Storm, I can only guess the training must have been intensive.

Edited by M.F.Lunder
  • 8 months later...

Hi guys,

I've come back for the DS eagles build after months of pause, ths time using the new Finemodls F-15J to build the Gulf Spirit. Of course questions rised when looking at the details Thiw time they are regarding the Cs:

1. There is a bump/antenna (red arrow)  betweem the MLG doors which I have never seen on other kits, I did see it on the USAF eagles but they are obviously in later yearsl, Hence the question is whether the antenna was there during DS?

IMG_2611.thumb.jpg.687c91de7349a6d516cb9f16c5373a1c.jpg

2. I think this is a topic discussed frequetly, was the exhause louver for the JFS removed, more specificly, for the EG birds or on 85-102? I am under the impression that MSIP birds have them removed, but I've seen picture with them on, so I am confused again....

3. Regarding the chaff/flare dispenser, FM provide 2 type of them as suppliment parts, what kind was used during DS?

IMG_2612.thumb.jpg.9a13f60855bbbc84bc9b0d3d532022e8.jpg

Thanks,

Chris

I can't answer questions #2 and #3 for that specific tail number.  For your first question however, that bump\antenna is actually just a fuel plug cover for when the centerline pylon and fuel tank is NOT used.  Its nice FM actually molded it.  Lots of kits just ignore it and assume everyone puts a pylon.

On 1/14/2024 at 11:06 AM, M.F.Lunder said:

Hi guys,

I've come back for the DS eagles build after months of pause, ths time using the new Finemodls F-15J to build the Gulf Spirit. Of course questions rised when looking at the details Thiw time they are regarding the Cs:

1. There is a bump/antenna (red arrow)  betweem the MLG doors which I have never seen on other kits, I did see it on the USAF eagles but they are obviously in later yearsl, Hence the question is whether the antenna was there during DS?

2. I think this is a topic discussed frequetly, was the exhause louver for the JFS removed, more specificly, for the EG birds or on 85-102? I am under the impression that MSIP birds have them removed, but I've seen picture with them on, so I am confused again....

3. Regarding the chaff/flare dispenser, FM provide 2 type of them as suppliment parts, what kind was used during DS?

Thanks,

Chris

The JFS louvers weren't removed till after Desert Storm.  You could use either one of the chaff/flare dispensers.  The expendables would vary depending on the mission and chaff/flare availability.

Regards,

Murph 

Glad this thread popped. I’m about to pull out the old Revell F-15E BEagle for an in-flight build and wanted to know if the kit decals happen to be one of the tails that participated in the first nights raid in DS?  I’m attached to the 6x MK-20/2xAIM-7 (F’s ?)/2xAIM-9L load out hence the question. 
Cheers

Collin

59 minutes ago, Collin said:

Glad this thread popped. I’m about to pull out the old Revell F-15E BEagle for an in-flight build and wanted to know if the kit decals happen to be one of the tails that participated in the first nights raid in DS?  I’m attached to the 6x MK-20/2xAIM-7 (F’s ?)/2xAIM-9L load out hence the question. 
Cheers

Collin

I'm in the process of designing this for my Revell E.  Wheels down of course.  Sorry, didn't mean to derail your question.

f15.JPG

1 hour ago, Collin said:

Cheers

Collin

AIM-7F and AIM-9M.

Regards,

Murph

13 hours ago, jrasia said:

I can't answer questions #2 and #3 for that specific tail number.  For your first question however, that bump\antenna is actually just a fuel plug cover for when the centerline pylon and fuel tank is NOT used.  Its nice FM actually molded it.  Lots of kits just ignore it and assume everyone puts a pylon.

Wow, always learn a new thing everyday! I think when FM made the bump they didn't know what it was either, as the instruction never mentioned it when center pylon and tank added. Sadly it has to go as I am doing a 3 tank configeration,

7 hours ago, Murph said:

The JFS louvers weren't removed till after Desert Storm.  You could use either one of the chaff/flare dispensers.  The expendables would vary depending on the mission and chaff/flare availability.

Regards,

Murph 

Thanks Murph, you are always the man! Two more questions about the dispensers:

1, this may seem stupid but I assume the dispeners should be flush with the fuselage but not like gluing a part onto the kit - standing out of the fuselage?

2. I read one of your previous post, you posted the picture of the dispenser: chaff in white, flare in red, as the FM parts. When searching internet, they follwong picture always shows, this time the dispensers are black and white. I assume that the black means the chaff/flare was used, and what about the white? Does it mean what's left on the plane was chaff, or chaff and flare are all white at the time?

A QUICK LOOK AT HOW THE U.S. AIR FORCE F-15C EAGLES SCORED THE FIRST ...

Thanks, 

Chris

12 hours ago, Collin said:

Cheers

Collin

The original issue of the Revell 1/48 kit has decals for the jet that killed a helicopter with a laser guided bomb later in the war. I can’t find anything that shows it flew on the first night. The only other decal sheets with DS-era markings are Repliscale - 48-5022 with City of Goldsboro, and Superscale - SS48401 with three 336th TFS jets and one 335th jet. Every other decal sheet I’ve found only depict postwar jets.

Ben

6 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

The original issue of the Revell 1/48 kit has decals for the jet that killed a helicopter with a laser guided bomb later in the war. I can’t find anything that shows it flew on the first night. The only other decal sheets with DS-era markings are Repliscale - 48-5022 with City of Goldsboro, and Superscale - SS48401 with three 336th TFS jets and one 335th jet. Every other decal sheet I’ve found only depict postwar jets.

Ben

Thanks Ben…

I think I’m just going to use the kit decals and get flamed by the Strike Eagle experts after the fact. 
Cheers

Collin

19 hours ago, M.F.Lunder said:

Thanks Murph, you are always the man! Two more questions about the dispensers:

1, this may seem stupid but I assume the dispeners should be flush with the fuselage but not like gluing a part onto the kit - standing out of the fuselage?

2. I read one of your previous post, you posted the picture of the dispenser: chaff in white, flare in red, as the FM parts. When searching internet, they follwong picture always shows, this time the dispensers are black and white. I assume that the black means the chaff/flare was used, and what about the white? Does it mean what's left on the plane was chaff, or chaff and flare are all white at the time?

Thanks, 

Chris

Chris,

They are flush or even slightly recessed:

jFWaQxQ.jpg

If you look at a high-res version of that picture, the reason some of them look black is that all of the expendables in those canisters have been dispensed, so what you're seeing there are empty dispensers.

GgvwLGd.jpg

Regards,

Murph

I know on our A-10's that if we weren't flying any chaff or flares we had to install a black plastic box in the spot to keep the electrical contacts safe from the elements.

Steve