Aftermarket parts for Rareplanes 1/72 Beechcraft B200 / UC-12B Super King Air

I have a Rareplane 1/72 Super King Air (B200) kit that I want to build as a UC-12B in USMC markings.  As this is the earlier bagged release of this fine vacuum formed kit, it does not include the Aeroclub metal props, exhausts and undercarriage / wheels that came with the later boxed release.  If anyone has a spare Aeroclub V064 1/72 Beechcraft Super King Air set, I'd be grateful if you would consider selling it to me.

Otherwise, I hope to find some readily available AM detailed parts for these pieces.  Does anyone have any ideas for suitable or easily modified substitutes for the propellers, exhausts, & undercarriage?

Kind regards,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch

I can’t offer much, any actually, info on aftermarket props and such. I’ve built 3 RVHP beech 200 kingairs and 4 Amodel beech 1900’s used the wings from one Amodel 1900 on an RVHP 200 because it had the wrong nacelles for my project…I’m babbling, the RVHP and Amodel kits have decent landing gear and props, could be possible donors? 

@chrispisme,  Thanks for that suggestion.  Seems a rather expensive donor kit.  AFAIK, the AModel 1900 & Super King Air kits all have four blade props.  If I did get an AModel or RVHP kit, I would probably just build it.  I think I may be onto a source for the Aeroclub V064 set of white metal 3-blade props and undercarriage. Kind regards, Dutch

On 4/12/2023 at 5:34 PM, Dutch said:

I did some searching and was wondering of the applicability of using Quickboost 1:72 #QB72 677 OV-10A-B-C Bronco propellers.  I think I will have to trim them to the proper length and taper the tips.  Are there more suitable props available?

You might well be onto something there, Dutch - I just compared/measured my Aeroclub C-12 props against those in the Airfix OV-10 Bronco, and they match both in spinner size (18" base diameter x 18" length) and overall diameter (48" spinner centre to blade tip)...

....the only thing I'm not sure about with that QB set is the spinner shape, which appears a little 'fat', whereas the C-12's looks a slimmer 'pointy' cone...

Edited by andyf117
17 hours ago, andyf117 said:

You might well be onto something there, Dutch - I just compared/measured my Aeroclub C-12 props against those in the Airfix OV-10 Bronco, and they match both in spinner size (18" base diameter x 18" length) and overall diameter (48" spinner centre to blade tip)...

....the only thing I'm not sure about with that QB set is the spinner shape, which appears a little 'fat', whereas the C-12's looks a slimmer 'pointy' cone...

Yes Andy, I quite agree with you on the spinner shape.  I am happy to know that the spinner and prop size is the same.  I ordered one QB OV-10 prop set from Hannants anyway, along with a large order for masks and some decals.  I was able to secure an Aeroclub V064 Super King Air set from the states, so will compare the differences when they both arrive.   I was also able to order from the same source a couple of sets of Aeroclub V024 7.5mm modern high pressure tires.  Looking at several photos of Super King Airs, it appears that all the tires are the same. Looking at the photo below again, the OV-10 spinners may be okay.  Does the Aeroclub V064 set also include the exhaust outlets?  Thanks again for your help.

V/r,

Dutch

D-IVIP2.thumb.png.debc47bc07e7e84535aabacd269a5bc0.png

Edited by Dutch
6 hours ago, chrispisme said:

I've got these, left over from an RVHP 1/72 B-200 Super Kingair

Yours if you want them.

Chris,  Thank you for your kind offer of the props, but I think I am set.  Kind regards, Dutch

The Aeroclub C-12 wheels measure 7mm, Dutch, so the 7.5mm ones would be close enough for government work - and no, the set only has undercarriage and props, no exhausts...

....returning to wheels sizes, not all Super King Air wheels are the same - look again at your photo above, and you'll see that the four 'mainwheels' are smaller than the nose one, and no, it's not perspective!

For your intended USN/USMC subject, all the same size will be correct, as evidenced below - I believe Navy and Marine aircraft always had that arrangement. But for some others, such as the first USAF example illustrated, it would not - although as shown in the second shot of an Air Force aircraft, it appears larger mainwheels were later adopted:

33023826801_2de6b0d98c_o.jpg

27787741831_9f513728d9_3k.jpg

51105810883_1f87fd3c62_o.jpg

50816408798_050026b6be_o.jpg

50908312378_87bdf2d217_3k.jpg

Note too, the difference in main gear bay doors between USN/USMC and USAF aircraft.

Edited by andyf117

Andy, thank you again pointing out the details of the undercarriage between SKA models. I will take note as I build. 

Andy and Chris,

As to the exhaust stacks, I was considering using either 1/48 Allison V-1710 powered P-40 or P-51 aftermarket exhaust stacks. Quickboost, Eduard Brassin, and a few other brands are available.  These appear to be closest in shape, though I have not yet measured the size.  I would have to trim them off at an angle parallel with the pipe, then add a little bit of build up to the front, but altogether possible. What do you think? 

K/r,

Dutch 

Edited by Dutch

That might work depending, as you say, on size - I think that I have a few suitable items in the spares box to use for mine...

....front sections of 'hedgehog' exhaust stacks from Halifax or Beaufighter kits which will just require some reshaping and drilling out, I hope!

• Dutch changed the title to Aftermarket parts for Rareplanes 1/72 Beechcraft B200 / UC-12B Super King Air
  • 2 weeks later...

So the Hannants package arrived today, including the Quickboost OV-10 props. I did not open the package, but just from the diagram, it dawned on me that the prop blades are handed left and right. (Hence the 'L' & 'R' on the base.) I missed that little fact in the previous post above. Are the C-12 props also handed? 

20230426_220342.thumb.jpg.6570256a9057d8471d68e3a6d13e31cd.jpg

My NAF Mildenhall UC-12M shots say no, they're not - though both props are 'feathered' when parked, they do appear the same:

props.thumb.jpg.9dd594978f276ccf79e012aa53a43b70.jpg

8378353488_50eaabf2a4_3k.jpg

Edited by andyf117

@andyf117 Andy, thank you for those photos, they are a HUGE help. I do believe you are correct.  Another thing I noticed is that the OV-10 spinners appear to be too short and stubby looking as compared to the C-12 spinners which appear longer and sleeker.  Hmmm, I guess the Quickboost props go to my Academy OV-10 kit now.  Maybe not.  I will have to pull out the Aeroclub C-12 props and check the spinner and prop blades.  I would have to remove these blades and reposition to the feathered position anyway.  

@chrispisme Chris, I may have to take you up on your offer of spare blades.  I will send you a PM with my address.  Maybe I can chuck the OV-10 spinners in my moto-tool and carefully*  slim them down a little and add your blades in the feathered position.  

* [Note, "carefully" being the operative word in this process.]

Edited by Dutch