Best 1/48 MK 1 Hurricane

All, saw that Hobby Boss just dropped their Mk1 Hurricane.  This leads me to the question, what kit is best in 1/48 for a MK 1.  I can see three main options, Airfix, Hasegawa (Hobby 2000) or Hobby Boss.   I tend to lean towards easy of assembly more than accuracy.  

• eraucubsfan changed the title to Best 1/48 MK 1 Hurricane

If you're looking for ease of assembly, IMHO the Airfix kit (much as I love Airfix) is not the best choice. The whole interior assembly is really complicated. Although not a whole lot has been written about the Hobby Boss effort, according to Troy Smith at Britmodeller it appears to be a scale-down of the Trumpeter 1/24 kit, which is very well regarded. Although I generally resist TrumpyBoss stuff, I'm thinking this may well be the way to go.

2 hours ago, seawinder said:

If you're looking for ease of assembly, IMHO the Airfix kit (much as I love Airfix) is not the best choice. The whole interior assembly is really complicated. Although not a whole lot has been written about the Hobby Boss effort, according to Troy Smith at Britmodeller it appears to be a scale-down of the Trumpeter 1/24 kit, which is very well regarded. Although I generally resist TrumpyBoss stuff, I'm thinking this may well be the way to go.

Pardon me while get out from under my rock! Had no idea there was such a kit 

19 minutes ago, goondman said:

Pardon me while get out from under my rock! Had no idea there was such a kit 

It was released in late 2022. It doesn't seem to be in stock yet at US outlets, but is available online from China (ebay) with deliveries estimated for June+ . There's a thread started at Britmodeller:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235115344-148-hawker-hurricane-mkiiicd-trop-by-hobbyboss-mki-released-new-boxingsvariants-in-2023-2024/

Everyone has opinions, and mine is that the 1/48 Airfix kit that I completed built just fine.  The cockpit, to me, was no more difficult to build than an Eduard Spitfire, for comparison. As far as accuracy, I’m no authority, but the finished one looks like a Hurricane.  I have 2 more still in their boxes that I want to do in different paint schemes. If the HB and forthcoming Arma kits are ‘better’, great, but I would not shy away from the Airfix kit, either the ‘regular’ or tropical version. 

Edited by Curt B
On 4/21/2023 at 2:31 AM, Cool Hand said:

How is the Italeri kit? I remember seeing sprue shots when it was first released a few years ago. Looked pretty impressive.

19 hours ago, bashace said:

I have the Italeri kit, so far it's been pretty decent to build, no complaints. Not sure how it holds up in the accuracy department, looks like a Hurricane to me👍

It  certainly looks like a Hurricane, but it does fall some what short in the accuracy stakes, (non rivet counters best look away now) which may be fixable with some fettling.

The biggest one is the nose ring is too big, which makes the spinners look too big, but the top cowling appears too narrow. - Probably not an easy fix.

Shell ejector ports on the underside of the wing are evenly spaced, not so on the real thing, outer one should be inboard a slots width closer.

Landing light sides are at right angles to the ground, should be at right angles to the wing, rivets on the wing that shouldn't be there. Gun bay access panels are not quite the correct shape. Ailerons are slightly too wide & flaps a mm too narrow.

Tyres have a raised inner rim, sand this off & you want the 4 spoke ones, Hurricanes didn't use 3 spoke wheels. Tail wheel is too high, with no opening to it.

Fabric overlaps onto metal sections around some areas of the tail plane fillets, curved corners on the access panel on the stb side of the fuselage.

A cockpit floor, Hurricane doesn't have this.

The IIC kit also gets the cannon access panels wrong, being too far forward & the same with the ejector slots. An odd shaped spinner is in this kit as well.

All in all, if you haven't got a 48th Hurricane yet, best to get the Airfix, Hobbyboss or wait for the new Arma Hobby one. That said I still have one & will build it.

-----------------

No accurate 1/48 Hurricane yet, as pointed out, but another reason is the thick blimp like wing tips.

Arma Hobby from Poland is soon coming out with one (announced officially with some CAD work), and it should be great. Absolutely wait, as I have no doubt the others will be badly outdone.

• 1 month later...

No Hurricane expert, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Airfix Hurricane.  I also liked the fact that all three boxings of the kit (BoB, Tropical and Sea Hurricane) all had the parts to make all three different versions- just different box art and decals.  I built a Sea Hurricane out of the Tropical boxing and scrounged up some Aeromaster Sea Hurricane decals.  I have the Italeri Sea Hurricane and it looks good in the box.  I also have the Classic Airframes 'rag wing' Hurricane Mk. I and a Hasegawa Hurricane IIC (haven't built those yet either).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to the Arma Hobby 1/48 Hurricane when it is finally released, but they advertise it as the Iic variant.  I don't know how much external differences there are between the I and Iic variants, but if it's significant, that's something to consider.

9 hours ago, Curt B said:

I'm looking forward to the Arma Hobby 1/48 Hurricane when it is finally released, but they advertise it as the Iic variant.  I don't know how much external differences there are between the I and Iic variants, but if it's significant, that's something to consider.

Main difference is in the fuselage length, the MkII being approx 4" longer forward of the windscreen, where the firewall is, due to the Merlin XX engine being longer.

Different spinners used as well (& presumably different props) Gun access panels are also different, 2 of them per wing plus being more square. Unless of course it's a IIa then it'll have the same wing as a metal winged MkI.

The radiator bath may also be slightly deeper as well.

--------------

Edited by barkin mad
6 hours ago, barkin mad said:

Main difference is in the fuselage length, the MkII being approx 4" longer forward of the windscreen, where the firewall is, due to the Merlin XX engine being longer.

Different spinners used as well (& presumably different props) Gun access panels are also different, 2 of them per wing plus being more square. Unless of course it's a IIa then it'll have the same wing as a metal winged MkI.

The radiator bath may also be slightly deeper as well.

--------------

Thanks, Barkin.  Really good info.  Those differences being the case, and if the Arma Hobby kit really will model the Iic variant, those who are dead set on a Mk. I variant won't have the Arma model to look forward to.

No probs. They probably will do a Mk I at some point, there is a generic sprue in it that covers all variants. Just have to be patient I guess, if you want one.

Just released in the last day or so btw.

-----------------