Favorite Kit to build

I am in the middle of organizing my stash and it struck me that I have built the 1/72 Fujimi F7U Cutlass model at least four times, have two still left intact on the shelf, and three in the stash. It must be my favorite kit to build, I guess, and I was wondering what other members turn to as their favorite build.

Edited by STEN8

While everything Tamiya is a fabulous experience, I would say my favorites to build are the 1/48 Eduard Spitfire and FW190 series.  I've got a ton of both of those types awaiting construction, and I know I'll love every minute of them!

Edited by Curt B

While the Tamiya is a superior product, I still prefer the Hasegawa 1/48 Phantom series. So simple and has been made into every version. You can combine different Hasegawa kits to make the version you want even if its not in the stash.

This is so cool. I went back and looked and have three in the running besides the Cutlass - another oldie but a goody and two newer ones I have only built once but really look forward to building again. All in 1/72.

ESCI F-5A (Gorgeous little kit, goes together like a Swiss watch!)  2 in stash

Academy F-8E Crusader (Lovely and built up into one of my best models)

Airfix Lightning F.6 (The New Hornsby era mold - a joy to build)

I just realized I might not be able to HAVE a favorite, there are so many, which defeats the whole purpose of this thread 🙂

Not so much a favorite kit but favorite subjects.  Mustangs and Phantoms.  I have them from all the different companies.  I like building them and comparing how they go together.  At least 10 mustangs and similar number of Phantoms, all 1/48.

On 4/22/2023 at 4:04 PM, jrbm said:

Monogram 1/48 F-4J and A-4F. Takes only a few steps before you've got the basic shape of the plane sitting in front of you.

I enjoy both of those kits as well ...

I'd toss in the Monogram OA-4M as well...

Sure, there's better kits of these aircraft but these are just fun to build ...

-Gregg

For me it would be AFV's 1/48th F-5E/F kit. They build up quite nicely, and quickly too with few difficulties. I've built 10 already, and have 2 more going now, plus 14 in my stash. I also like Hasegawa's 48th A-4's. It not the easiest kit to build up, but looks great when done. I've built 9 of them, and am painting number 10 now. I also have 13 more in my stash. It's true... I love aggressors 😂 Fred K.

Edited by f5guy
On 4/23/2023 at 8:12 AM, habu2 said:

Hasegawa F-16, in both 48th & 72nd

I am currently working on my first Hasegawa 1/48 F-16CJ kit, and so far I am liking it.  I had just been working on an Academy 1/48 F-16A/C, and found it to be a nightmare.  I had heard that the Academy kit was kind of a copy of the Hasegawa kit, and I see similarities, but there are multiple key differences that seem to make the Hasegawa much easier to assemble (air intake and wings, in particular).

It's sold as a CJ/Block 50/52, but I think i can use the older parts that are still included (smaller intake and exhaust) to make it pretty close to a Block 25, which is what I want.

Edited by Ken Cartwright

I want to say 1/32 Phantoms (I build mainly 1/32) I’ve done 3 so far and have 5 or 6 Tamiya kits in the stash and about 4 or 5 Revell.  But it seems that the F-16 has taken the spotlight away somehow.  I’ve built 7 of the old Revell kits. 5 are done as Thunderbirds in an inflight display and I used Tamiya decals.  I’ve also built a 2 seater for my Doc that’s the flight surgeon for the SCANG. I built him one as the bird he gets back seat time in.  
My stash of F-16’s is about 6 still if memory serves me correctly. A Tamiya T-bird and I want to build a two seater t-bird as well.  I think I have decals for about a dozen different planes I want to build too. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Tamiya F-14. When that kit came out I couldn't believe it, and it continues to impress [and obsess] me with the follow-on kits plus aftermarket and decals. 

I really should have picked a less complex airplane to love that still had great kits available. Even though the kit is spectacular, it still takes me a long time to get one done - I'm no "Phantom"! 

It's like a favorite song - just never gets old. 

AND the Tamiya Skyray!!!! Loved building that kit. Of course I had to chose the included VFAW scheme, but the one in the stash offers some wildly colorful possibilities.

Harry

Lutz, FL