Out of the Box builds

I was wondering if anyone has built a kit completely out of the box, including following the instructions, building sequence and suggested paint colors? I was thinking about it while at my workbench and other than childhood Monogram and Matchbox kits fifty odd years ago, I can't remember a single kit I have built just as purchased in decades. Just curious.

Harry

Lutz, FL

I'm not much of a builder, and am trying to do more and build up some skills.  That said,I don't know that I've ever built one down to the point of the exact pain colors, but other than that, I've been close.

Having limited skills and time, I rarely if ever use aftermarket parts, so most of the deviations from the process for me is in build sequence - I often build things out of sequence to assist with fitment, painting, etc.

I will also build out of sequence, have often but not always used kit decals, finally learned how to trick out seats. So more and more the model kit and instructions are a template to be modified.

Harry

Lutz, FL

Back when beginning half a century ago, most likely did build totally OOB. Can remember in 1970s around 4th or 5th grade age painting a Revell 1/72 P-47 different from instructions because of a paint job I'd seen in a book at the library where a P-47 in the Mediterranean used blue in its upper surface camouflage.

And then I got started building tanks with Aurora's 1/48 tanks & I had already seen in books where WW2 tank crews added stuff on the outside of their tanks.

And sometimes I wanted to add a trim stripe to the engine cowl or see what a slightly different color would look like.

And once I got in to model trains, I've likely Never built total OOB, be it cars, locos, structures, and rarely even run a freight car OOB.

So, has been a very long time since I've built strictly "out of the box".

And now ...

As family and friends have said, "You've already got holes drilled in it and parts sawn off before you even get in the car to go buy it."  😁

I start out with the intention of building from the box, but then start seeing what is missing or lacking in a kit and start adding to it. Whether it be adding aftermarket decals, PE, resin or scratch bits. My wife tells me I just can't leave anything well enough alone and have to always modify something. 

But I will say I just completed building Tamiya's newer 1/35 scale Brummbar and didn't add anything this time, nor am I deviating from the instructions....something must be wrong with me? 😲

Out of box?  Yes. Recently too.  Follow instructions?  Those are a suggestion. I jump around and while one subassembly is drying , I’ll jump to things like assembling tail sections or wing halves so I can start the process if filling gaps sooner. 
This one was out of box last year. I was afraid the decals would crumble because the kit was so old. But the slid off like they were printed yesterday. 
yqr1Jw.jpg

o8qsDM.jpg

9 minutes ago, Scott Smith said:

I was afraid the decals would crumble because the kit was so old. But the slid off like they were printed yesterday.

That is always a relief.

Model looks like it is waiting for the press release photographer to arrive shortly.

Yes, at least two; Bronco's 1/48 MQ-1 and Academy's 1/72 A-37B; fun and quick exercises on both cases.

zXQJglt.jpg

wBMAzXC.jpg

The first even indicated in the instructions how to make stretched sprue for the pitot at the front; on the second, I used the out-of-register decals provided.

9 hours ago, STEN8 said:

I was wondering if anyone has built a kit completely out of the box, including following the instructions, building sequence and suggested paint colors? I was thinking about it while at my workbench and other than childhood Monogram and Matchbox kits fifty odd years ago, I can't remember a single kit I have built just as purchased in decades. Just curious.

Harry

Lutz, FL

I’m sure I did when I was a kid starting out, but as soon as you start painting them following build sequence goes out the window.   

9 hours ago, STEN8 said:

Harry

Lutz, FL

I’m sure I did when I was a kid starting out, but as soon as you start painting them following build sequence goes out the window.   

Most of what I build is OOB, or very close to it.  Other than replacement/alternate decals, I don't use much aftermarket in general and if I do use any it is usually just a replacement seat.  There are exceptions, but they're just that.