Folks,

I need to know if anyone here has done this.  Our flight to Reno has a four hour delay in San Diego and one of my bucket list items is to see the Pacific Ocean and I would love to, at a minimum, to see the USS Midway aircraft carrier.  So is it a fantasy for me to think that we would be able take a taxi from the San Diego airport to the Midway in four hours?  Thanks for any input!!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

A piece of cake. The airport (Lindbergh Field) and the Midway Museum are in very close proximity (2.5 miles apart). Both are on the same thorofare near downtown San Diego. However, four hours may not be enough time to take in all the museum offers. Enjoy. 

Agree, the airport is just down the street (so to speak) from the Midway.  You could get there, photograph the ship extensively, and still be back in plenty of time to deal with TSA.

It stinks, though, that you are so close and wouldn't have the time to visit the ship.  I spent the better part of a day there in 2017 and still didn't see everything.

Rod

Yeah, if the Bay counts for you as the Pacific Ocean the easy peasy ...

Should be able to see what Carrier(s) are in port as well, they're not hard to see from the Midway ...

Have a good and safe trip, Ken ..!

-Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

You kinda have a one or the other choice. The tide pools in Point Loma, or sunset cliffs are good spots to see and touch the pacific and aren’t really that far. The midway is close too but, there’s a lot to see there . Last time I was on the Midway, I spent a

fee hours there, and  that was at a quick pace. 

With only four hours, and TSA / Uber / traffic / parking / etc you might have time to "see" the Midway from a parking lot but you won't have time to actually get on board and really "see" anything. Now if you get delayed anywhere along the way and miss your flight you may end up having plenty of time.....

On 4/28/2023 at 6:35 PM, habu2 said:

With only four hours, and TSA / Uber / traffic / parking / etc you might have time to "see" the Midway from a parking lot but you won't have time to actually get on board and really "see" anything. Now if you get delayed anywhere along the way and miss your flight you may end up having plenty of time.....

Unfortunately, I have to agree with habu that all the necessary evils of air travel would make actually getting on board the Midway an almost impossible venture.  If you would be satisfied with a simple 'ride by', I think you could do that  But as for actually getting on the ship and touring it, I don't think it's practical.  I'd hate to see you miss your connecting flight.  I'd say if you could find another later flight, one that would give you, say, 6 hours of layover, I think you could do something with that.  Best of luck! 

P.S.  I've done the Midway tour, and it really IS something to see!!

As a pilot for a major airline, four hours at an airport may seem like a long time but it is not. I’ve been to SAN many times. Visited the Midway often.  If I had a four hour layover in SAN I wouldn’t imagine leaving the airport. Even with my ability to go through KCM and expedited security screening I wouldn’t do it. If you want to see the Pacific Ocean and the Midway plan a trip to San Diego. It’s a nice thought to try to see the Midway/ocean but not doable. 

Edited by okthree

All,

As many have said here, my thoughts on this adventure were going to be sort of like a drive-by and not actually trying to take the full tour or even go aboard the Midway.  I was just thinking that me and the wife were going to leave the airport with nothing on our backs as we were planning to leave all of our carry-on's with other family members in our travel party who will be staying at the airport.  We will probably be taking a cell phone or may be a camera to take some pictures.  But even now I am second guesssing myself because I have found some great pictures of the Midway on Facebook.  I do want to Thank each and everyone of you who have took the time to give us your input.  Thank A Lot!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Have fun-went to Lindberg Airport then Mission Bay way back when-1989? Remember driving over some bridge by ocean and saw a sub out a ways in bay with a small navy skip headed out to it....no idea what was up but it was cool---SD ZOO was cool too! Enjoy