Question on F-16s using smart weapons

I know that the F-16 using the BRU 57 can drop GBU 38s, but can that same BRU 57 hold CBU 105 WCMD's? It is a smart cluster bomb from what I can gather. Also, can a block 40 F-16C carry the AN/ASAQ-213 HARM targeting pod or is that just for the block 50 series?

Thanks

Jeff

Yes, the BRU-57 is basically a "smart" bomb rack so it's designed to carry any munition that requires the 1760 cable. So GBU-38's, -54's and, CBU's with the WCMD package are allowed.

Only Block 50/52's are HARM capable.

Steve

1 hour ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Only Block 50/52's are HARM capable.

I was corrected in another thread that B40/B42 can now carry the -213 HTS, I assume that means they are also HARM capable. 

On 4/28/2023 at 7:40 PM, habu2 said:

I assume that means they are also HARM capable. 

Even the earlier block 30 can carry HARM's, but only the block 40/52 carry the HTS pod. 8FW at Kunsan flies block 40's with HTS on left side of the inlet as an example. There is also pictures of earlier A-models carrying AGM-88's during test word while at Edwards. 

The Block 40 community began carrying HTS as early as 2015 when i first visited Osan and Kunsan.  I later found them in the ANG Block 40/42 community.  One of the goals of CCIP 20 years ago was to bring the 40/42/50/52 Viper community to the same standard/capabilities.

Jake

On 5/1/2023 at 9:48 AM, jmel said:

The Block 40 community began carrying HTS as early as 2015 when i first visited Osan and Kunsan.  I later found them in the ANG Block 40/42 community.  One of the goals of CCIP 20 years ago was to bring the 40/42/50/52 Viper community to the same standard/capabilities.

Jake

I believe that is what the new CM designation is for.

On 5/1/2023 at 9:48 AM, jmel said:

Jake

2 hours ago, kellyF15 said:

I believe that is what the new CM designation is for.

Interesting, good to know. I stand corrected then, thanks guys.

Steve

Good question, have asked the same on many occations. I believe the reason is that GBU-12's can be carried on the TER without any difficulties, while the BRU-57 is used for smart weapons like the GBU-38/54. So the key here is "smart weapons" which the GBU-12 is not in this context. 

The funny thing is that the USMC has eTER's whereby they carry slaint mounted GBU-38/54's on, so not entirely logic. But the USAF has not necessarily bought the eTER's hence logical from that perspective. 

15 minutes ago, Raptor.777 said:

Here's another ? Why don't the F-16s use BRU 57 smart weapons platform to release GBU12's? I always see that they are on a TER, why not the BRU 57? GBU is a smart weapon, is it not? Just curious

Jeff

The BRU-57 uses the 1760 cable to hook up to the "smart" weapons which are satellite guided. GBU's are laser designated and don't have a 1760 cable hookup.

Steve

Just now, A-10 LOADER said:

The BRU-57 uses the 1760 cable to hook up to the "smart" weapons which are satellite guided. GBU's are laser designated and don't have a 1760 cable hookup.

Steve

Thanks, makes sense then

• 3 weeks later...