Anyone ever get their model pics repurposed?

Had a little chuckle when I came across this when browsing

1/48 Aircraft : ITALERI 1/48 TORNADO GR.1/IDS (Gulf War 1991) ... (military-model.com)

compared to my ARC gallery post

1/48 Italeri IDS Tornado by Benner (arcair.com)

They could have at least asked permission to use my pictures.  funny they're using those pictures being that a lot of the parts I used are not in the kit.

Anyone ever have something similar happen?

I stumbled across this a short while ago: https://plastic-models-store.com/cat4-resin-accessories/cat4-r48053-148-a-4-skyhawk.-wing-slats-bay-correction-for-hasegawa-scale?page=5

It's my in progress photo they've used. Oddly, it has nothing to do with their product as I made the correction with superglue and plastic card.

I don't mind - it's a Ukrainian company and I wish them well.

I was more surprised to find photos of a model of mine published in this book without my knowledge or permission: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flight-Craft-Sukhoi-15-Boeing-ebook/dp/B00WQ4QPN4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2XS5ZADQG86S&keywords=su-15+boeing+killer+yefim+gordon&qid=1682922678&sprefix=su-15+boeing+killer+yefim+gordon%2Caps%2C126&sr=8-1 After some emails I did receive some financial compensation for that!

Jon

Haven't had any plastic model pics repurposed, but I did have a Chinese company rip off a pic I uploaded of a radio controlled plane I built for their ebay add, their version of the kit wasn't even close to the kit I built.

If someone has stolen your pics, it is not Italeri but Military World. Also one of the photos are of a different angle than the one in your article. Did you upload these photos elsewhere which would explain this?

I'm not saying they didn't steal your pictures, just asking?

On 5/1/2023 at 12:45 AM, Benner said:

Had a little chuckle when I came across this when browsing

1/48 Aircraft : ITALERI 1/48 TORNADO GR.1/IDS (Gulf War 1991) ... (military-model.com)

compared to my ARC gallery post

1/48 Italeri IDS Tornado by Benner (arcair.com)

They could have at least asked permission to use my pictures.  funny they're using those pictures being that a lot of the parts I used are not in the kit.

Anyone ever have something similar happen?

Not pictures I took no.

Not quite the same, but scalemates.com scraped my F-16 site many years ago for box art scans.  I know they came from my site because, at the time, I didn't own a digital camera and I scanned the box art on a flatbed scanner.  Several boxes were larger than my scanner and you can see the "join" seam on merged scans of larger kit boxes.

On 5/1/2023 at 2:32 AM, jonbryon said:

I

I was more surprised to find photos of a model of mine published in this book without my knowledge or permission: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flight-Craft-Sukhoi-15-Boeing-ebook/dp/B00WQ4QPN4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2XS5ZADQG86S&keywords=su-15+boeing+killer+yefim+gordon&qid=1682922678&sprefix=su-15+boeing+killer+yefim+gordon%2Caps%2C126&sr=8-1 After some emails I did receive some financial compensation for that!

Jon

glad you got compensation for that, definitely some infringement there.

On 5/1/2023 at 7:08 PM, phantom said:

I have that happen with my builds several times. Usually some random guy claiming my build as his own.

That is weird, why would someone want to do that?

On 5/2/2023 at 12:42 AM, Niels said:

If someone has stolen your pics, it is not Italeri but Military World. Also one of the photos are of a different angle than the one in your article. Did you upload these photos elsewhere which would explain this?

I'm not saying they didn't steal your pictures, just asking?

Yes, the pics of my Saudi Tornado build are linked into the ARC forum and also posted on Jakub's Desert Storm website.

Not mine, but I remember many years ago that the pictures of the models by Fred Shammas were used on a website of the Iranian air force; he had a talent for making very realistic takes; you can see them on the ARC site.

If true, that had to be one of the most epic repurposing cases.

11 hours ago, parche said:

Nope, but at least two people are selling my master's thesis as a book on Amazon...

I was an Excel guru back in college and exposed an ROTC cheating ring.  Our senior aircraft prelim design class had four teams competing against each other.  I discovered one of my complex design spreadsheets being used by at least one other team.  We're talking a spreadsheet that took 60+ hours to design.  It turns out, all the AF and Army ROTC cadets were pirating spreadsheets and sharing them to avoid doing the work.  It was reported to the dean of engineering and at least five ROTC cadets were nearly expelled.

20 hours ago, Benner said:

glad you got compensation for that, definitely some infringement there.

That is weird, why would someone want to do that?

Yes, the pics of my Saudi Tornado build are linked into the ARC forum and also posted on Jakub's Desert Storm website.

Don't know, but its happened many times.

4 hours ago, cruiz said:

Not mine, but I remember many years ago that the pictures of the models by Fred Shammas were used on a website of the Iranian air force; he had a talent for making very realistic takes; you can see them on the ARC site.

If true, that had to be one of the most epic repurposing cases.

ah yes, I remember that one.  I think CNN even made a clip on it.

On 5/1/2023 at 12:32 AM, jonbryon said:

I stumbled across this a short while ago: https://plastic-models-store.com/cat4-resin-accessories/cat4-r48053-148-a-4-skyhawk.-wing-slats-bay-correction-for-hasegawa-scale?page=5

It's my in progress photo they've used. Oddly, it has nothing to do with their product as I made the correction with superglue and plastic card.

I don't mind - it's a Ukrainian company and I wish them well.

Jon

Have that book (I’ll take anything on the subject) but have always found the title offensive. It wasn’t B-52s or EC-135s that were “killed.” A language or cultural thing, I guess.

I’m working on a project I thought he’d like to see but, despite all the English-language books he’s sold, published by Western companies, he replied that he’s not interested in any business with the West—I assume because of the current conflict. His books have always had a definite slant, but I was surprised