Jump to content

Recommended Posts

First steps on Tamiya’s beautiful F-4B.   I knew it would be a great kit, but I am still impressed on how good it is.   Planning on doing an aircraft from VF-92 from the USS Enterprise’s 1968 WESTPAC cruise.  










Link to post
Share on other sites

To avoid the temptation to rush the ordnance at the end of the build up of Tamiya’s F-4B I started working on it now.   I have Eduard’s F-4 weapons set which has 4 each AIM-9s, AIM-7s, and 18 Mk 82s.    I also considered using the Mk 82s in AMKs very nice ordnance set, but opted for the Eduard ones.   These are a bit of a challenge with the butt joint between the body and tail, getting them flush without sanding too much off takes some care.   I cut closely with a razor saw and used a glass file to get a flat surface.   I am sure I’ll mess up a couple of them but fortunately only need six of the 18.  The AMK ones would also work but the Eduard ones already fit the Eduard TERs without modification.









Link to post
Share on other sites

I found a better solution for Mk 82s.   I found a set of Mk82 files on Cults3D and printed them on my Anycubic Photon Mono 4K.   The tail easily slots into the bomb body, and dimensionally they are more accurate.   The Eduard ones are too short by a few millimeters.   







Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dai phan said:



Great work! I want to add something onto the pylons that hold the Sidewinder. Is there anything from this set that is drop fit w/o modifications to the pylons? Dai 

The Eduard Triple Ejector Racks are a drop fit onto the kit pylons.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Slow but steady progress on Tamiya’s F-4B.   The pylons and TERs are painted and decals applied.   I’ll do some weathering on them, but I want to get further into the build before doing that since I’ve not decided how dirty this will be yet.   The Eduard TERs are really nice and with some care just click into the pylons,  the one in the photo is not glued to the pylon.  

I put the Bullseye decals on the tail,  and they applied beautifully.   I only used Microset and they settled down into every rivet very well.   They are Cartograph so I expected they would work well.    

I painted up the sill and with some inspiration from Doog’s Models applied aluminum and zinc chromate layers and did some chipping.   This isn’t attached yet but the fit is pretty good.   The Wolfpack seats look very nice, but are just a little short compared to the kit seats but raising them up a mm or so is an easy task. 

This week I want to get the Sparrows and Sidewinders done, start on the heat shielding and nozzles, and get the base paint down.




Link to post
Share on other sites

First coats of paint, which revealed a few small seams to cleanup.   The VF-92 aircraft had a variety of colors for the nose, white, black, and radome tan.   I’ll probably go with tan just to add some color variation.     




Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...