Hello,

It has been a while since I checked in, but I am happy to announce that I have started a publishing company and it will concentrate on rotary winged subjects and the first book is on the CH-53E. It is 100pages long with over 500 pics and can be found at https://cavupublications.com along with a decal sheet that I did that covers the early overall green days of the 53E's service to the latest overall FS 35237 gray scheme.

I also have a Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/cavupublications, where I have a poll for future subjects.

mason

IMG_7618.jpg

Pg15.jpg

Pg31.jpg

Pg46.jpg

I have built six 1/48 Academy CH-53Es with a couple more in progress or planned. The last one I finished was built using leftovers from a friends project and Black Dogs sets for the 53E.

mason

2T2A1499.jpg

2T2A1513.jpg

2T2A1520.jpg

2T2A1544.jpg

I recently purchased this book and accompanying decal sheet and…Holy Hell. If this isn’t the most comprehensive book on any type/model/series aircraft, you’d be hard-pressed to find a publication that can hold a candle to this one. While I have yet to build a model of the venerable-53E, I am both fan and student of Marine Corps Aviation, and this book is a primer of the Corps’ tactical paint scheme (TPS) on contemporary USMC aircraft and how it weathers both ashore and afloat. If I can find one, I’ll build Academy’s 1/48 scale offering of the Echo (or, if I’m brave enough, Revell’s CH-53D), and use this reference extensively. Mason’s love for the Shitter comes through in every image, and he has literally left no panel unturned. Visual references aside, he does an admirable job of explaining, in layman’s terms, of what each and every component is and does. I sincerely hope that he continues to provide references on modern American rotorcraft, and will be first in line to purchase any subsequent references.

Semper Fi,

Ski

Mason,

Thanks for posting this here as I wouldn’t have known otherwise. For long time followers of this forum your work - building, artwork is a known quality. It’s nice to see whirlybirds getting the Reid Air etc publication love. I am a big fan of shitter….this one time….anyway order placed for both. Best of luck on this endeavor.

I vote for a Phrog book next. Also don’t forget 1/72, with the loss of Wolfpak Decals (rip) there is not many options. 

Edited by Tank
1 hour ago, Stephen said:

I'm looking forward to it being available internationally.

The link in this similar post (in the Research section) went to a page with the prices displayed in GBP...

Edited by andyf117

The can bird CH-53, is a cool project. Turned out fantastic. 
I'll have to add your book to my Christmas list. 
I sure wish Italeri would stop trolling us with their updated 1/72 kit, every year. 

10 hours ago, Stephen said:

I'm looking forward to it being available internationally.

9 hours ago, andyf117 said:

The link in this similar post (in the Research section) went to a page with the prices displayed in GBP...

Hi,

I hadn't officially opened sales to the UK, but I did some test orders and it appears that sales to the UK are working. I need to work on adding other international customers, but it is not a fun process.

mason

Edited by doupnik
2 hours ago, doupnik said:

Hi,

I hadn't officially opened sales to the UK, but I did some test orders and it appears that sales to the UK are working. I need to work on adding other international customers, but it is a fun process.

mason

Indeed, it appears mine has been sent!

Jon

9 minutes ago, midnightprowler said:

Is there a way to purchase other than Facebook? I'm not on it. How much is this? I have the italeri 1/72 and the Revell 1/48.

Yes, you only need Facebook for the poll on future projects, book ($40) and decal (1/48 $15) are ordered from his website https://cavupublications.com

HTH

My copy arrived yesterday. Quick and fast service. As expected the whole book is chalked full of photos very similar to what Mason has already posted. The decal sheet is equally as impressive. With lots of different options for a modeler. 

The only con I see and it’s out of Mason’s control is Academy (1/48) and Italeri (1/72) have not release their kits in a while. 

5 hours ago, Tank said:

The only con I see and it’s out of Mason’s control is Academy (1/48) and Italeri (1/72) have not release their kits in a while. 

As the decals have only been done in 1/48, the Italeri kit's availability is academic, really...

....unless there are plans to scale the sheet down at some point, @doupnik?

Edited by andyf117
5 hours ago, Tank said:

My copy arrived yesterday. Quick and fast service. As expected the whole book is chalked full of photos very similar to what Mason has already posted. The decal sheet is equally as impressive. With lots of different options for a modeler. 

Thank you for the review and update.

Part of my brilliant business plan was picking a subject that hardly anyone builds and the kits for which are out of production and hard to find. lol

mason

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

As the decals have only been done in 1/48, the Italeri kit's availability is academic, really...

At this time no. I have been thinking about the issue. I want to produce books and having a decal sheet is a nice tag along, but I don't want to do two or three sheets for each book. I will explore maybe doing larger sheets with more scale options.

6 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Sure you cannot get the same decals in 1/72 but if if that’s your scale the book would be nice for details again you have the issue of kit availability. 

5 hours ago, doupnik said:

Thank you for the review and update.

Part of my brilliant business plan was picking a subject that hardly anyone builds and the kits for which are out of production and hard to find. lol

mason

Brilliant! 🤣

As a long time kit collector and infrequent builder. 🙃 I have both scales covered but figured I would address the only major complaint folks would make and that one is out of your control. Maybe one or both companies would rerelease kits because of the interest. One can hope anyway. 

Look forward to the next release. 👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2023 at 11:53 AM, DONG said:

No shipping to Canada ??

On 6/26/2023 at 1:33 PM, dustiepal said:

I know, I want one too!

Dave

I will see what I can do about that tomorrow. Sorry about that.

mason