Hey All,

I just this morning noticed some internet info about a forthcoming 1/48 scale Meng J-20 Chinese fighter plane.  I have been intrigued with this aircraft since first becoming aware of its existence, given its interesting design, which includes canted vertical stabilizers and canted canards.  I guess it kind of reminds me of a modern F-4 Phantom, with these canted surfaces.  I had been wondering if anyone would come out with a 1/48 scale model of this plane.  I saw that Trumpeter had a kit in 1/48 from a few years back, but I've always been suspect of Trumpeter's details.  I'd been hoping that a model company with a better reputation for details would someday decide to model this plane, and, in my opinion, Meng fits the bill, though the Modeling News photos show a pretty minimal cockpit.  This may be accurate, however.  I am curious about the name of this aircraft, as I believe the English translation of the name has been 'Mighty Dragon', but the Meng kit refers to the name 'Veyron'.   Maybe Veyron is the NATO reference to this plane?  Anyway, just wondering if anyone else is as interested in this forthcoming kit as I am.

I have no idea about that name but it isn’t a NATO naming convention. In BASIC terms: F for fighters (ie Flanker), B for bombers and C for cargo for NATO names. There is more but I’ll leave it up to the rest of the crew.  

Code letters:

• A - Air-to-Air Missile
  • B - Bomber
  • C - Cargo
  • F - Fighter
  • G - Surface-to-Air Missile (including Anti-Ballistic Missiles)
  • H - Helicopter
  • K - Air-to-Surface Missile
  • M - Miscellaneous (all aircraft not included in other categories)
  • S - Surface-to-Surface Missile

Here's the whole list

1 hour ago, foxmulder_ms said:

OMG!!!!! 

this made my day! 

Meng models are very high quality.. a J-20 in that quality will be epic. Definitely will buy it. 

Cool...a least one other person who is as excited about this as me!!!  The Modeling News has images of the CAD drawings, and a few  photos of the real plane.  There is one view of the top of a real aircraft with camo...I think I've found the paint scheme I'd like to use!!!

Edited by Curt B

I've never seen Veyron is used, but I think it is used bacause its pronauciation is silimar to that of J-20's Chinese name:威龙 (Wei Long, pronaunce like: Way Lone). Buggatti Veyron is sometimes translated into Chinese as 威龙, or maybe the guy did the translation find the word through web search, who knows. 

6 hours ago, M.F.Lunder said:

I've never seen Veyron is used, but I think it is used bacause its pronauciation is silimar to that of J-20's Chinese name:威龙 (Wei Long, pronaunce like: Way Lone). Buggatti Veyron is sometimes translated into Chinese as 威龙, or maybe the guy did the translation find the word through web search, who knows. 

Thanks for the insight.  Honestly, I don't care what name they call it, as long as the plastic turns out great!

Edited by Curt B
9 hours ago, Sodasorb said:

I have no idea about that name but it isn’t a NATO naming convention

Not strictly NATO - because Australia and New Zealand are involved - and they aren't in NATO.

The naming committee  was called ASIC - it is now ASCC (unless they have changed it again (?).....

This link gived the full list of names https://designation-systems.net/non-us/soviet.html#_System_NATO

Ken

On 5/3/2023 at 6:56 PM, Curt B said:

Hey All,

I just this morning noticed some internet info about a forthcoming 1/48 scale Meng J-20 Chinese fighter plane.  I have been intrigued with this aircraft since first becoming aware of its existence, given its interesting design, which includes canted vertical stabilizers and canted canards.  I guess it kind of reminds me of a modern F-4 Phantom, with these canted surfaces.  I had been wondering if anyone would come out with a 1/48 scale model of this plane.  I saw that Trumpeter had a kit in 1/48 from a few years back, but I've always been suspect of Trumpeter's details.  I'd been hoping that a model company with a better reputation for details would someday decide to model this plane, and, in my opinion, Meng fits the bill, though the Modeling News photos show a pretty minimal cockpit.  This may be accurate, however.  I am curious about the name of this aircraft, as I believe the English translation of the name has been 'Mighty Dragon', but the Meng kit refers to the name 'Veyron'.   Maybe Veyron is the NATO reference to this plane?  Anyway, just wondering if anyone else is as interested in this forthcoming kit as I am.

Really? is there already an image or anything else known?

By the way, I think it is not yet official, but the J-20 is rumoured to be the Firefang as per the ASCC code.

PS: I found a bit

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2023/04/mengs-148th-scale-j-20-veyron-in.html

Edited by Deino

PS ... One issue I see however is, if this kit indeed includes the WS-15 nozzles, than it should be more likely the new J-20B with the new radome and revised spine and not the regular airframe.

BildBild

On 5/5/2023 at 8:21 AM, Deino said:

PS ... One issue I see however is, if this kit indeed includes the WS-15 nozzles, than it should be more likely the new J-20B with the new radome and revised spine and not the regular airframe.

BildBild

Interesting.  If the airframe in the forthcoming kit remains 'as is,' do you know what the correct engine nozzles should be?  Are there any aftermarket nozzles that may fit?

Edited by Curt B
On 5/7/2023 at 4:57 AM, Curt B said:

Interesting.  If the airframe in the forthcoming kit remains 'as is,' do you know what the correct engine nozzles should be?  Are there any aftermarket nozzles that may fit?

If they want to make a current production J-20A - and that's how the CAD looks like-, then it should have WS-10C nozzles but unfortunately I don't know if there is any aftermarket product available.

774060562_WS-10Ccloseup.thumb.jpg.cf4c1a0f8fdb8d2a454c720dfe18fe49.jpg

991676576_J-20A78130-172.Brig-WS-10C.thumb.jpg.b24221a0c8ac51d15d756d1655357e2c.jpg

551152255_J-20AWS-10CXXLgif.gif.d15f0bd6b5eec8f9465962772a4ca706.gif

As for the WS-15, this is the so far best image we know showing one WS-15 on a prototype:

2002115773_J-20no.2012WS-15testbed-firstclearimage.thumb.jpg.e2d4415e62bdde8b51db06f079a89dad.jpg

68162688_WS-15detail.jpeg.736074a1d00037ab2deee09e6566b8a1.jpeg

4 hours ago, Deino said:

If they want to make a current production J-20A - and that's how the CAD looks like-, then it should have WS-10C nozzles but unfortunately I don't know if there is any aftermarket product available.

As for the WS-15, this is the so far best image we know showing one WS-15 on a prototype:

Thanks for the info...greatly appreciated!

It is far from certain that J-20"B" will be the only version with WS-15.  

a) Current J-20"A"s might get WS-15.

b) Current J-20"A" production might continue with WS-15 for some time. 

Edited by foxmulder_ms
On 5/9/2023 at 5:21 AM, foxmulder_ms said:

It is far from certain that J-20"B" will be the only version with WS-15.  

a) Current J-20"A"s might get WS-15.

b) Current J-20"A" production might continue with WS-15 for some time. 

Well ... but IMO that makes not that much sense!

IMO either only the J-20B is ready and then it will enter service first with the proven WS-10C which will be replaced later by the WS-15 or the J-20B is ready with the WS-15 already, but then there won't be a continued production of the J-20A.

IMO the B-model is the one optimised for the WS-15 as such I rate it unlikely that the J-20A will get yet a third engine and remain in production.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

'Veyron' is a michine translation of 'Dragon'.

The Dragon model company is translated the same way on moxingfans.com 

Ah...very  good to know!  Thank you.

On 8/18/2023 at 1:58 PM, RichB63 said:

New CAD renders here

Thanks, Rich.  This airplane model is one of a few that I've been anxiously awaiting...hopefully not too much longer...release set for October per Meng.  That's my birthday month...so maybe a B-Day present to myself! 😊

Edited by Curt B