Tamiya 1/48 P-47D Razorback "Ruthless Ruthie" completed!

Hey guys, here’s my latest completion, Tamiya’s P-47D.  I started this one around Christmas last year, so it’s only taken me just over 4 months to finish, which is lightning fast compared to my previous models.  As many others have stated, Tamiya’s kit is excellent, although I found several areas to add detail.  Below is a link to the in-progress thread:

Any and all critiques and comments are welcome!

AJFCJaVPyr9UBm6aXA86fpsf2V-o9BCs9EsCBtPm

AJFCJaVLAKUDEF2DXyketarc2ukursguTeqcr6hK

AJFCJaU7Xaj1TcVPdcttNX0CqzzcMSrYqKzXO_Jq

AJFCJaXVxQkLYVFe2ynOeJ3SyAibXKTPrZ7AzXXz

AJFCJaXcy5KvTnMtD2pOZ6YTJgFNfGiUk_7F0ODE

AJFCJaUvAUyNX-zL_fBDD9TpGKm7RNOKLhXxElGZ

AJFCJaVbutSDHjxyg3HSWTtMJKJy-3Oqa609qp3Y

AJFCJaV8GRQQFiZMZZquWI02g2MW2XU1tIb1bebQ

AJFCJaWephEdVZymlrqKbwyeB130AK8XirqW4kYB

AJFCJaXYgQd-aoynDI7Y6_-UtSavdN4vyq1kBsM1

AJFCJaWJhqMZ0AGdlKIFCJKU64scTqBF6fJGM1yg

AJFCJaXWJFXP7O208lCTsHdPM0htWjheJ9F4cpR4

AJFCJaWnCuANuVkl7fJmJB1jOikhbCtaerjpAIQP

AJFCJaUN9FQ5Oy3lAC1EF1Z0HyZKFY8jVEJRIEkq

AJFCJaX1_Skm_y_a0Io9bUv6frFd51najclyp7pL

AJFCJaVhox5DRzZklkFNloKTFajVUfpU_JYb9Vd1

AJFCJaWLCT-24YznnKYdEkahosSI-H_u5hP4OcOy

AJFCJaV_bu6VaeKAefo0CBkI8SMu7ePHnlrciuGB

AJFCJaUJjpM6qPdPN7A3psV7te-DUNYhwY2SaM3r

AJFCJaWfAESXdTYAcjlcf6JnnCEpJYC_HeFyGbAk

AJFCJaVUvYTG17P06uvo-gheCxsVarmjshvthTLs

AJFCJaXYyyvVbb0HkrKcbSNwSRdVou6Wdmnp_FrE

AJFCJaVvguYs6D43aRs_-nEL-xRv5JUfbB89Juqa

AJFCJaWB6o5yspaps5iY_B8Q0FLgCb_aVkIhLp7S

AJFCJaVvvnfm01v0DuIFSGV43yGuSgKqMr0patSf

Thanks for looking!

Drew

Drew was kind enough to share this completion at the local club meeting on Friday night.  Honestly, I'm kind of at a loss for words! The build was absolutely first class, but what really "made" the model was the finish Drew put on her.  The rivet work is just sublime and the wear and weathering incredibly realistic.  Everybody should revisit the build thread to see how he did it!  

Hopefully Drew's work will be on the table at upcoming events.

Thank you Drew for sharing with us!

C2j

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely fabulous P-47, sir!  I am in no way qualified to make a single comment on as beautiful of a build as yours clearly is, but I'm going to anyway.  Do you think there may be just the TINIEST bit of improvement by doing a VERY small amount of chipping near the wing roots, where the pilot and a maintenance crew would walk on the wings to access the cockpit?  I'm one of those folks who, NO DOUBT, overdoes chipping in that area, hence my reticence at making any kind of comment at all.  However, maybe a few 'micro chips' if you will, might be appropriate?  I'd hate to be the reason you ended up messing up the wing finishes you've made by trying to do these chips, so PLEASE tell me to go away if you're so inclined, but it's the ONLY thing I could even think of to comment on, other than your work is stupendous!

Edited by Curt B

Thanks for the kind words Curt!  I actually did some chipping around the area of the wing root near the cockpit, but it may not show up well in the photos.  I tried not to go overboard with it, and followed reference photos to make it look as realistic as possible.  The paint wear on the wing surface was more scuffing down the to bare metal rather than chipping.  I showed how I replicated this in the in-progress thread.  The oil paint weathering I did over the chipping also toned it down a bit.  This particular plane didn't show too much chipping in the photos other than around the canopy for some reason, so that's where I focused most of the chipping.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love a nicely worn but well maintained earth mover.   Really nice.  I like the look of the Jug with the big P-38 teardrop drop tanks.  

Hey from Elgin, SC, just down I-77 from you.  I'm close to Cola...I gotta root for the garnet and black.  

Hey Drew, just came back to look at your P-47 again, and if I was impressed before, I'm even moreso now.  Your painting and weathering are perhaps the best I have ever seen, on any airplane model.  I don't know how you do it, but whatever it is, don't ever stop!  Just wanted to let you know that even after months of looking at other stuff in these forums, your airplane remains at the top of the heap!  Fabulous job!  

Do you have anything else in progress or completed that we can look at?? 😊

On 8/20/2023 at 10:10 AM, ma2-u said:

I love a nicely worn but well maintained earth mover.   Really nice.  I like the look of the Jug with the big P-38 teardrop drop tanks.  

Hey from Elgin, SC, just down I-77 from you.  I'm close to Cola...I gotta root for the garnet and black.  

Thanks!  Being that I went to Clemson, garnet and black are probably my least favorite colors, LOL!

On 8/20/2023 at 10:20 AM, Curt B said:

Hey Drew, just came back to look at your P-47 again, and if I was impressed before, I'm even moreso now.  Your painting and weathering are perhaps the best I have ever seen, on any airplane model.  I don't know how you do it, but whatever it is, don't ever stop!  Just wanted to let you know that even after months of looking at other stuff in these forums, your airplane remains at the top of the heap!  Fabulous job!  

Do you have anything else in progress or completed that we can look at?? 😊

Thanks Curt!  I tried to cover how I achieved the finish in my in-progress thread, but definitely ask if you have any questions.  

Here's a link to my other threads:  http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/profile/236-drew-t/content/&type=forums_topic&change_section=1

I've been working on a Trumpeter C-47 since I finished the Thunderbolt.  It's snowballed into a bigger project than I thought!