CD48231 - 1/48 RF-4C Recce Phantoms Part 1

CD48231 will be a 1/48 sheet for USAF/ANG RF-4C recon Phantoms in SEA/Euro 1 scheme; from Vietnam to early 1990s. Some classic schemes I have wanted to do for a long time. 10 options on this one.

Not quite done yet, there are some elements missing and some colors to be corrected (hence the small image) ; but close enough to be finished that I will go ahead and announce. I should be able to complete and send it to be printed this weekend. 

Obviously there is an all-black second sheet with serial numbers, tail codes and other black markings that you do not see on the main page; and a common stencilling sheet which will later be available as a Basics sheet.

cd48231.jpg

Edited by KursadA
11 hours ago, Dutch said:

Oooh, I like it.  Especially since it is part 1 and portends a part 2!  And I assume that it will also get the 1/72 treatment as well?

IIRC, Kursad said that he'll generally produce 1/72 releases for his decals. I'll most def be all over this one!  👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Building a model from this and hopefully a follow-up sheet on the RF-4Cs used in Desert Storm will become much easier with the announced RF-4 series from Zoukei-Mura next year. I talked with some of the ZM staff at the recent IPMS Nats in San Marcos and was told that work is now underway in the development of these kits. Here's the official announcement that they had on their stand.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

IMG_8932 (Large).jpg

20 hours ago, Mike J. Idacavage said:

Building a model from this and hopefully a follow-up sheet on the RF-4Cs used in Desert Storm will become much easier with the announced RF-4 series from Zoukei-Mura next year. I talked with some of the ZM staff at the recent IPMS Nats in San Marcos and was told that work is now underway in the development of these kits. Here's the official announcement that they had on their stand.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

Thanks for the good news, Mike.

This is the first place where I see it.

Pretty cool that they're planning a thin-wing RF-4B, not just a boxing with decals for the last couple of RF-4B's with thick wings.

Cheers, Stefan. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Should there be any extra space on the RF-4C Part 2 sheet, it would be nice to squeeze in the minimal markings for a QF-4C drone. This would be a nice way to honor the end of the career for the F-4C! I shot these photos down at Tyndall AFB in 2010.  Of course, I would not want to bump of any Birmingham RF-4C Desert Storm Phantoms with their nose art...

Have fun modeling!

Mike

Phancon Tyndall 206 09212010 MJI (Large).jpg

Phancon Tyndall 399 09212010 MJI (Large).jpg