Grumman EA-6A Electric Intruder

G'day people,

Here is my recently 1/72 Fujimi EA-6A Intruder built for the Britmodeller Salty Sea Dog GB.

Based on the earlier A-6A, the EA-6A was adapted for the role of Electronic Attack/Warfare during the Vietnam war. The nose was extended to accommodate additional avionics and the top of the tail (the 'football') was also enlarged to house jamming equipment. Even though the EA-6A remained capable of carrying all the weapons that the A-6 was cleared for, in practice stores were typically limited to the external fuel tanks, ALQ-76 ECM pods and the ALE-32 Flare pods. Some units also carried the AGM-45 Shrike and AGM-78 Standard missiles. Although the EA-6A was not the sole EW platform used during the Vietnam conflict, it was considered the most capable

The markings represent the colourful COs jet of VMAQ-2 'The Playboys' and was adorned with the iconic 'Playboy' symbol on the rudder in the attractive LGG over white scheme. The unit retained the markings when the low-vis TPS was introduced  and eventually transitioned to the EA-6B Prowler, a dedicated EW platform. The long arm of the PC police eventually caught up with the playboys however, and they changed their Playboy emblem for a jester to become 'The Jokers', being the last unit to operate the EA-6B before it was phased out

Early A-6s used fuselage mounted air brakes however, issues with fatigue cracking resulted in a design change to the wings and horizontally split wingtip mounted speed brakes were adopted. The fuselage brakes were made inoperative but were retained. Later the solid doors replaced the perforated design however the EA-6A did not receive wing tip brakes and retained operation of the fuselage air brakes. The instructions correctly indicate that the external actuator fairings should be removed but do not instruct that the control surface outlines should be filled in. I missed this detail as I thought the surface would act as a normal aileron but this is not the case. I realised this error too late to correct it, hopefully others will avoid this pitfall

I initially was going to have the kit sitting on the ground so I added a few details to the cockpit and canopy

DSCN9367.JPG

DSCN9366.JPG

DSCN9411.JPG

DSCN9412.JPG

I decided I liked the look of the jet airborne instead and Fujimi include a pair of very nicely moulded figures for this purpose. The fit of the u/c doors in the closed position was mostly very good as was the fit in general. Anyhoo, onto the piccies

DSCN9870_tr9vnx1hMnw8PzpFNiSNsW.JPG

DSCN9861_oYkNvFnXvsmUuGn9bJ4nm7.JPG

DSCN9864_7G6iBdiGB9Ca1frseN7ub2.JPG

DSCN9872.JPG

DSCN9861_1NYrRTUnEae5BaFSc8SLhA.JPG

I also made a few additions to the exterior,

• AoA probe added to upper stb'd intake
  • Pitot probe added to exterior of port intake
  • The lower anti-col light was added to a small pedestal and added off-set to port
  • An additional antenna was added to the stab'd lower fuselage nose
  • A small ILS antenna was added to the underside of the stb'd intake
  • The single point refueling cap was added to a recess beneath the stb'd intake
  • The landing and taxi light was added to the nose wheel door. This was re-positioned off-set to stb'd to accommodate the large blade antenna but Fujimi forgot to include this detail
  • The spinning RATs for the ALQ-76 ECM pods was represented with some acetate discs
  • The perforated speed brakes were left just cracked open. Early A-6s used these however, issues with fatigue cracks resulted in a design change to the wings and horizontally split wingtip mounted speed brakes were adopted. The fuselage brakes were made inoperative but were retained. Later the solid doors replaced the perforated design however the EA-6A did not receive wingtip brakes and retained operation of the fuselage air brakes.

DSCN9795.JPG

DSCN9821.JPG

DSCN9863.JPG

DSCN9867.JPG

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

Thank you all,

I had a gret experience building this kit. I have an Italeri A-6E in the stash and by comparison although quite a nice kit, the detail is a little less sophisticated e.g. the panel lines are a little deeper and wider and the cockpit is less detailed. On the plus side it is much more widely available. however, It would be nice if the Fujimi A-6 family of kits was re-released by H2K as I would love to build a few more of these

cheers,

Pappy