what is a good modeler?

How do you judge wether i am good modeler if i state that i dont want to apply heavy weathering to any of my models even military dioramas?or should i just make one heavily weathered model to please the critics on my capacity and caliber?

aminx

As for FEELING like a good modeller, I build what I like and paint it the way I like, but more important: I build for myself and noone else and if I like the kit and how it turned out, I am satisfied. Every additional kind word is welcome an appreciated, no doubt, but that´s only the bonus. As for weathering, it´s not only checking references, but also a matter of personal style and taste how far you go. Most important: do what you like, like what you do! :trolls:

Happy modelling :o

István

I agree 100% with the words Istvan.Build,paint,weather and decal the way it pleases you and only you.Nothing wrong with being an "Individual" :o

Paul T....Have fun & enjoy the hobby, the reason we model ....afterall

I've only ever weathered one model (a battle tank from Star Wars Ep1!!). It looks good, and I like it. My aircraft models never receive any weathering (maybe I'll dirty up the wheel wells but nothing more), again because I like them that way. Do what YOU want, if you like it, then you my friend, are a good modeller.

Just enjoy your hobby, at the end of the day thats why we all do it I think

;)

Mark

Hy guys,

I think that modelling correspond to a specific state of mind. It those not matter what kind of techniques you are using or if you weather the model or not.

We are speaking of sharing the same hobby – we all do that otherwise we would not come at aircraftresourcecenter to speak about it.

Nevertheless we are all struggling hard to obtain a model that looks like the original (only at a different scale). We modify cockpits after old photos or original drawings; we modify the form of wings or fuselage just to have a model closer to the original.

I do consider that if we go this far we also should weather the models. It brings realism. It makes the difference between a toy and the real thing. :angry:

Anyway this is my personal opinion. The most important is the STATE OF MIND.

Christian ;)

well.......thanks pals for the group therapy session,i feel much better now.as a matter of fact i just completed my 1/48 tamiya corsair D model 3 tone colour pacific campaign jolly rogers no 34 plane eagle decals and i weathered it lightly the way i wanted and i'm very proud of what i see in front of me.No way could i do this without the help of this sites tips.and internet suppliers etc.Many years ago there was none of this help, equipment and materials.

aminx

i dont have a digital camera and i if i take it to a pro he'll charge the price of a new cheap digital camera .

a good digital camera with nikon equivalent lens zoom and all would cost here not less than 400 sfr.maybe down the line.

aminx

I believe all modellers want to build everything they can see down to the tiniest bolt on the model in the smallest possible scale. I believe a good modeller talks about details and reality.

Weathering is part of a modeller's skill. Its includes not just how to weather but most of all to weather or not and when to stop.

Not that weathering is essential, but IMO if you can weather good, you have acquired one of the primary skills in modelling. Most important of all, I believe you will enjoy that part (cos there is no instruction manual on that! You utilize your creativity :) )

To end my note heres my motto:

"I want to be a happy modeller, not a professional one."

I agree 100% with everyone who said that most important is being satisfied of one's own models. If you want to talk about being a "good modeller", well, I believe that you should consider that modelling is made of many different techniques. The ideal, "master" modeller, might be considered one who masters all the possible techniques, and most important, that is able to use the correct ones (weathering included, if applicable) to achieve e "perfect-looking" model; that is, I believe, a model that looks very realistic.

Keep in mind that this is a speculative matter. If I'd start to consider how many people are better modellerers than me I'd drop modelling. This is useless!!!

I consider a better attitude thinking that I (like everyone) can get a better modeller after each kit, after each mistake and after each talk on this forum. And it's a great knowing that you can ask questions to many master modellers you find on this site and learning from their experience. And never limit your expectations: everyone can get better and better with patience.

Massimo

An answer to the previous question.

But what a cooooool jacket!

post-12-1096434825.jpg

Oh my God!!

That is not one of our moderators is it????

;)

On topic now and time to drag out the old cliche...

"my hobby, my way...."

I build for me, no one else. Failure to do this simple thing leads to AMS or giving up the hobby because of ill perceived imperfections. Neither are acceptable to me!

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

happy modeller= good modeller

don't worry about what everyone else thinks.. build it how you want, and when you display it, just say why you made it the way you did... people will respect that :thumbsup:

the first model I've built in the past 10 years is still one of my favorites (a 1/72 Fujimi Tomcat), and there are gaps in several places on it and the paintjob is shoddy... but I love it! Why? I built it ;)