Iranian F-4E belly strap

22 minutes ago, Buckmeister said:

If it has slats but no TISEO (the black RHAW antennas on the inboard wing leading edges is the giveaway), then it has the belly strap. If it has TISEO (and by definition no RHAW antennas), then no strap.

Thank you very much sir.

I’m trying to remember exactly, but from 74-334? up, the wing was reinforced internally. I don’t know the sequence numbers that correspond to IAF jets, but USAF before that serial jets received that TCTO after the fall of the Shaw. In other words, no reinforcement. I’m sure TCTO kits would not have been delivered to the IAF. But perhaps the Iranians came up with their own. Anyone?

17 hours ago, BillS said:

I’m trying to remember exactly, but from 74-334? up, the wing was reinforced internally. I don’t know the sequence numbers that correspond to IAF jets, but USAF before that serial jets received that TCTO after the fall of the Shaw. In other words, no reinforcement. I’m sure TCTO kits would not have been delivered to the IAF. But perhaps the Iranians came up with their own. Anyone?

Thank you sir.

I have noticed also that on F-4E from IRAF ,who have TISEO, there is no reinforcement plate on horisontal stabilazers.Do you know anything more about that?

I’m speculating here cuz I don't know for sure. Any modifications that came after the fall of the Shaw would not have been incorporated. I’m betting the contracts McDonnell had for follow on mods were voided or embargoed. I can only imagine the condition those jets fell in to. I’m sure there are lots of repairs that held those things together.

Depot came to Ramstein  sometimes around 78/79 to change out a wing . Supposedly the last wing that was made for Iran and held back .

They claimed the internal wing tanks were very different. I don't recall a belly strap . If it was internal , it does not matter as you can't see it.

Also some stabs had the internal bracing if they had been rebuilt . I'm guessing that means  at depot.

The only Iranian F-4  I saw ( At McDill ) was before end of 1976 . Not sure if they got anymore after that .

Regards, Christian

10 hours ago, Chris L said:

Depot came to Ramstein  sometimes around 78/79 to change out a wing . Supposedly the last wing that was made for Iran and held back .

They claimed the internal wing tanks were very different. I don't recall a belly strap . If it was internal , it does not matter as you can't see it.

Also some stabs had the internal bracing if they had been rebuilt . I'm guessing that means  at depot.

The only Iranian F-4  I saw ( At McDill ) was before end of 1976 . Not sure if they got anymore after that .

Regards, Christian

Thank you sir.

12 hours ago, BillS said:

I’m speculating here cuz I don't know for sure. Any modifications that came after the fall of the Shaw would not have been incorporated. I’m betting the contracts McDonnell had for follow on mods were voided or embargoed. I can only imagine the condition those jets fell in to. I’m sure there are lots of repairs that held those things together.

Thank you sir.

Reinforced belly skin actually took effect from somewhere around 71-0224.  71-0236 was the last hard wing F-4E, and 71-0237 was the first one with factory installed slats.  All of the FY69 Iranian airplanes (that hadn’t already crashed) got slats in 1973 and 1974 using kits sent to Iran.

The last IIAF F-4E was delivered in September of 1977, so all of them were delivered to the latest standard at the time they were built. Once the Shah bought the F-14, and had placed orders for the F-16, F-4 purchases stopped.

15 hours ago, Chris L said:

Regards, Christian

All F-4Es with serials 71-0236 and lower that got the slatted wing retrofitted had the belly strap, with the possible exception of 71-0224 through -0236. I have read several things that say the reinforced skin was fitted starting with -0224, so those 13 airplanes would have been unique among all Phantoms.

Thank you gentleman to you all with fantastic informations.

So, in short retrospective what is told here, aircraft 00253 IRIAF F-4E 3-6684 didn't have belly strap, and had TISEO, and didnt have reinforcement plates on horizontal stabilazers.

I will use DXM decals on new Meng F-4E 1/48.

Also I have find few photos of real aircraft.It is visible that this airframe 00253 had TISEO and dont have reinforcement plates on horizontals, which need to be modified on Meng kit.

71DiL8uQnkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

1994159.jpg

16626_1253964122.jpg