Jump to content

CAT4 F-111B conversion sets


Recommended Posts

I think those sets are still quite new.

I have a few other bits from CAT4, and they seem good. Havent built with them yet. They are another group based out of Ukraine and seem to pick really niche subjects to cover.

Edited by Specter1075
Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered both SeaVark sets: the basic conversion plus the jet intakes. When they arrive, I’ll post some pictures and share my impressions here.

 

Agree with @Specter1075…Cat4 is an innovative firm with an attractive product line.

 

Rich

 

Link to Cat4 products

 

edit: I see that there’s a third set for the F-111B - pylons for the Phoenix missiles. 

 

 

Edited by RichB63
Link to post
Share on other sites

They started to appear a couple of months ago.
I didnt bother buying any as it would be a What-if build which isnt really my thing.

 

I did pick up some parts for an A-7 and A-6 and they look quite nice.
If I was of a mind to build an F-111B then I wouldnt hesitate in buying.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see any, but they may put something out. They released a small decal set to go with their A-6C TRIM set, and appear to have other decals sets too. They seem to cover all their bases.

Edited by Specter1075
Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night I found the Academy F-111 kit I’d cut the nose off of several years ago to try to make my own short nose so one step in the right direction once the sets arrive. 
That was about the time we took in 4 feral kittens, then some injured cats, …. 8 years later 19 furry fuzzbutts and no place to run my airbrush in the house. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
5 hours ago, dustiepal said:


Good news…the Phoenix Missile System decals will help to liven up the otherwise prosaic markings schemes.

 

Edited by RichB63
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hemspilot said:

Those sets are for the initial prototypes and do not represent the pre-production airframes that would have been much more similar to the Air Force variant.

 

The preproduction airframes were quite different from the USAF versions. The 111B was going to have a much higher canopy to allow better vision over the nose for carrier approaches. It was also going to carry a later version of the Hughes radar So had a longer nose, similar to what was later found on the F-14A but not nearly as long as the USAF nose. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Jon Krol said:

The preproduction airframes were quite different from the USAF versions. The 111B was going to have a much higher canopy to allow better vision over the nose for carrier approaches. It was also going to carry a later version of the Hughes radar So had a longer nose, similar to what was later found on the F-14A but not nearly as long as the USAF nose. 

According to Tommy Thomason's comments either here or at Britmodeller, the higher canopy was not right and it was an illusion created by either the windshield steeper angle or the angle with the redesigned radome that even being shorter was much closer to the USAF variants in shape.

Tommy actually posted drawings somewhere. I have his Naval Fighters F-111B book.

In any case, the pre-production and following airframes would have been different from the first prototypes.

 

Tommy's correction regarding the canopy profile.

 

 

Edited by hemspilot
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hemspilot said:

According to Tommy Thomason's comments either here or at Britmodeller, the higher canopy was not right and it was an illusion created by either the windshield steeper angle or the angle with the redesigned radome that even being shorter was much closer to the USAF variants in shape.

Tommy actually posted drawings somewhere. I have his Naval Fighters F-111B book.

In any case, the pre-production and following airframes would have been different from the first prototypes.

Here's the latter canopy that would have been fitted to the production F-111B. This is from Tommy's Blog. Lots of good F-111B info at this Blog. Note the raised canopy. Also take note of the longer nose which was fitted to the last two pre-production machines. 

F-111B Production Forward Fuselage .jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jon Krol said:

Here's the latter canopy that would have been fitted to the production F-111B. This is from Tommy's Blog. Lots of good F-111B info at this Blog. Note the raised canopy. Also take note of the longer nose which was fitted to the last two pre-production machines. 

F-111B Production Forward Fuselage .jpg

The three preproduction airframes I mentioned did not have the raised canopy, as evident from the photos that are widely available, the raised canopy was proposed for the final production version.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think this is current but it will get you in the ballpark: https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-complete-f-111b.html

 

I have an errata/additions document for the monograph, which is out of print. My email address is included in the introduction to that post.

 

Beware of print-on-demand copies, they are guano.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

I don't think this is current but it will get you in the ballpark: https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-complete-f-111b.html

 

I have an errata/additions document for the monograph, which is out of print. My email address is included in the introduction to that post.

 

Beware of print-on-demand copies, they are guano.

 

 

Yes, they are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2023 at 9:43 PM, hemspilot said:

The three preproduction airframes I mentioned did not have the raised canopy, as evident from the photos that are widely available, the raised canopy was proposed for the final production version.

Yes, but they had the revise radome. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2023 at 1:31 PM, hemspilot said:

Those sets are for the initial prototypes and do not represent the pre-production airframes that would have been much more similar to the Air Force variant.

 

 

14 hours ago, Jon Krol said:

Yes, but they had the revise radome. 

 

I think you are losing track of my original post or you are trying to argue for the sake of arguing as you have done in other threads before.

So this is my last post in this thread.

Edited by hemspilot
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...