Mr. Mark Softer & Mark Setter question(s)

I just ordered one bottle each of Mr. Mark Softer & Mr. Mark Setter to use on my thicker SiamScale decals. I know from reading the posts that Mr. Mark Softer is the stronger one. My question is this: my Mr. Mark Softer is clear, while the Mr. Mark Setter looks like it has white powder in it. When I shake it up, the white stuff (mostly) goes into solution. Is that normal, or did I get an old bottle?

Larry

It doesn't say Neo on the bottle. I ordered both from Scale Hobbyist online. I just did a search online for Mr. Mark Setter and the photos of both the Mark Setter AND Mark Setter Neo bottles appeared to show the same white solution. I just thought it was strange, since there was an obvious "powder" on the bottom of the bottle before I shook it up. I just don't want a dried powder to show up on top of my decals.

Larry

I just used both Neo products; the blue bottle goes under the decal,  softens it a little, improves adhesion, and prevents silvering; it dries clear with no white residue; you can clean the excess with a wet cotton swab.

The green bottle goes over the decal to soften and conform it to the surface.

No problems so far; use them with confidence.

Well, I guess it doesn't matter about the "Neo" products, since they apparently are NOT sold in the USA. :hmmm:

It's probably some EPA regulation thing?!?

Edited by ReccePhreak
On 5/27/2023 at 7:10 AM, ReccePhreak said:

I just ordered one bottle each of Mr. Mark Softer & Mr. Mark Setter to use on my thicker SiamScale decals. I know from reading the posts that Mr. Mark Softer is the stronger one. My question is this: my Mr. Mark Softer is clear, while the Mr. Mark Setter looks like it has white powder in it. When I shake it up, the white stuff (mostly) goes into solution. Is that normal, or did I get an old bottle?

Larry

Nope you didn't get a bad bottle, the Setter has a milky look. Not too worry, when it dries, it will be clear. A warning, Mr Mark Softer is strong stuff and will eat paint if you apply too much and let it pool. Use sparingly and dab up any pooling immediately. 

1 hour ago, modelingbob said:

Nope you didn't get a bad bottle, the Setter has a milky look. Not too worry, when it dries, it will be clear. A warning, Mr Mark Softer is strong stuff and will eat paint if you apply too much and let it pool. Use sparingly and dab up any pooling immediately. 

Thanks for that info, ESPECIALLY the warning about how strong Mr. Mark Softer is. :thumbsup:

51 minutes ago, ReccePhreak said:

Thanks for that info, ESPECIALLY the warning about how strong Mr. Mark Softer is. :thumbsup:

Don't ask me how I know that!!!! It eats paint, especially acrylics and acrylic lacquers, so be careful and apply sparingly. But, it does work very good on most decals. 

On 5/28/2023 at 9:52 PM, modelingbob said:

Don't ask me how I know that!!!! It eats paint, especially acrylics and acrylic lacquers, so be careful and apply sparingly. But, it does work very good on most decals. 

Yea me too! I ruined a fairly nice paint job on tamiya's new spitfire using it. It's like Alien's blood if you're not careful. It does work well on tamiya kit decals if you're careful with super thin applications. More worry than worth. 

6 hours ago, longmc said:

Yea me too! I ruined a fairly nice paint job on tamiya's new spitfire using it. It's like Alien's blood if you're not careful. It does work well on tamiya kit decals if you're careful with super thin applications. More worry than worth. 

Thanks for your input. :thumbsup:

Larry

Hi as others have said blue setter under and green softer on top. 

setter has a glue or something in it that falls out of suspension after a while so shake regularly. 

the ‘neo’ versions (in my testing/opinion) seem to be weaker euro versions that are sold here by UK distributors/importers. 

plain/original versions are ‘grey’ imports and work much better.