F-16 with uneven weapon loads

Can the F-16 be loaded with unequal weight weapons loads? Meaning like a GBU 31 JDAM on one side and a GBU 12s on the other. What other unequal load configurations are there that are a feaseable weapon load out for CAS role?

Thanks

Jeff

Yes, I built my Tamiya 1/32 F-16 with a AGM-65 on one side and two GBU-12 on a triple ejector rack. The photo wikipedia uses for it's article on F-16 variants shows this load out.

Edited by Alternative 4

They are frequently using mixed loads. For example when Ops Unified Protector was in full swing, the 77FS F-16Cs out of Aviano used mixed loads too. One side there was a Harm loaded and the other pylon had a rockeye leaflet dispenser with the wingman having a double GBU-38/54 onto a twin rack. Other loads were observed too, but the timespan I was there they flew like this. The defensive armament of a pair of both Amraam and Sidewinder rockets was carried too with an AN/ALQ-184 on the centerline and Sniperpod under the intake.

Greetings!

I was thinking of weight differences. Like a 2000lb gbu 31 on one side and two 500lb gbu 12s on the other. 1000lb weight difference, well maybe not with the TER. Not sure how much that weighs. Didn't k ow if the weight differences would effect how the aircraft handles or flies.

33 minutes ago, Raptor.777 said:

I was thinking of weight differences. Like a 2000lb gbu 31 on one side and two 500lb gbu 12s on the other. 1000lb weight difference, well maybe not with the TER. Not sure how much that weighs. Didn't k ow if the weight differences would effect how the aircraft handles or flies.

Whenever a aircraft is loaded, weight distribution is always taken into account. This is one reason why Load Crews go thru constant training and use tech data, which tells you the "do's" and " don't s" of every load.

A TER weigh's @ 100 lbs.

Steve

I think what the OP is really asking is about is what is called Asymmetrical Moment and for that you will have to see what the limits are IAW with the aircraft's flight manuals.

Asymmetric loads do affect the aircraft performance so just because you can physically load it doesn't mean it's a legal load due to the aircraft's asymmeteric moment limitations.

13 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

I think what the OP is really asking is about is what is called Asymmetrical Moment and for that you will have to see what the limits are IAW with the aircraft's flight manuals.

Asymmetric loads do affect the aircraft performance so just because you can physically load it doesn't mean it's a legal load due to the aircraft's asymmeteric moment limitations.

Correct.

Steve

17 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

So would a gbu 31 and 2 gbu 12s on the other side be a feasible load? Are the US airforce aircraft cleared to carry gbu 32s (1000lb) JDAMs? I was always under tge assumption that 1000lb bombs were strictly for us navy and marine Corp aircraft. Maybe I am wrong.

You also have to factor release sequence into the equation e.g. if the heavier load is on the left wing and you release the ordnance on the right wing first your asymmetric loading still needs to be within limits with just the left wing load.

2 hours ago, Raptor.777 said:

So would a gbu 31 and 2 gbu 12s on the other side be a feasible load? Are the US airforce aircraft cleared to carry gbu 32s (1000lb) JDAMs? I was always under tge assumption that 1000lb bombs were strictly for us navy and marine Corp aircraft. Maybe I am wrong.

Yes.

FYI - USAF usually don't fly with GBU-32's except on F-22A's, only -31 and/or 38/54. GBU-32 is primarily a USN/USMC weapon

Edited by Niels

Facebook

Facebook

Facebook

One of the better explanation on various loadout options is in Bullseye Models instructions here; 
BMA48005 1:48 Bullseye Model Aviation Decals - F-16M Falcon / Viper 'Warheads on Foreheads' - Sprue Brothers Models LLC'
F-16 Falcon Triple Nickel 555th Fighter Sq History (the48ers.com)

You'll have to zoom to read everything, but it's all there

Edited by Niels
9 hours ago, Niels said:

...One of the better explanation on various loadout options is in Buckeye Models instructions here; ...

err, umm, I think you meant Bullseye.  I don't think Scott is in Ohio lol