I’ll post these here and if anyone wants to see more I’ll direct them to a Facebook group where I’ve posted WIP pic’s. Vincent’s designed LM from Shapeways that I’ve finally dedicated myself to building correctly 😊I hope .

IMG_0397.jpeg

IMG_0396.jpeg

IMG_0394.jpeg

IMG_0390.jpeg

IMG_0388.jpeg

IMG_0383.jpeg

IMG_0371.jpeg

IMG_0344.jpeg

IMG_0342.jpeg

IMG_0389.jpeg

IMG_0378.jpeg

IMG_0386.jpeg

8 hours ago, Ret said:

Really beautifully done work and detail. Will follow with interest - Thanks!

Thanks, here are a few more pictures showing my lack of skill duplicating the wrinkles in the Kapton   which is beyond difficult to replicate . I used crackerjazz’s method of using a sculpting putty underneath but it’s difficult to get the stretched appearance that’s present on the real vehicle . 

IMG_0413.jpeg

IMG_0412.jpeg

IMG_0411.jpeg

IMG_0409.jpeg

IMG_0410.jpeg

IMG_0392.jpeg

Edited by snichols
14 hours ago, snichols said:

I’ll post these here and if anyone wants to see more I’ll direct them to a Facebook group where I’ve posted WIP pic’s. Vincent’s designed LM from Shapeways that I’ve finally dedicated myself to building correctly 😊I hope .

PLEASE post the Facebook group where you have more pictures of your spectacular Lunar Module!

I think it's always difficult to match pieces in scale - but it looks like you've got a good thing going there. I'm thinking that the difficulty lies in the fact that most of the Kapton didn't cover a surface so much as cover a open space on some of the LM descent quads.

Looking good!

14 hours ago, SpacecraftGuy said:

Wow!

Thank you, 

Had some time to devote to working on it and accomplished quite a lot, I appreciate all comments and I’d like to thank everyone for looking.

I have some pictures from early on in the build that I’ll post soon , my first attempts at foiling. I’am happy to have the descent stage almost completed so I can try my new ideas on the ascent stage rather than my some of my old attempts with the construction.

Vincent really makes this build easy with his step by step instructions and available patterns online, I can’t imagine scratchbuilding the entire model like he did.

IMG_0466.jpeg

IMG_0465.jpeg

IMG_0461.jpeg

IMG_0459.jpeg

IMG_0458.jpeg

IMG_0456.jpeg

IMG_0455.jpeg

IMG_0454.jpeg

IMG_0442.jpeg

IMG_0440.jpeg

IMG_0444.jpeg

IMG_0432.jpeg

IMG_0451.jpeg

IMG_0453.jpeg

IMG_0454.jpeg

IMG_0446.jpeg

Edited by snichols

Descent stage is now completed with a few more pictures over on the Facebook group and while looking at photo’s I noticed three  issues, quad 1 plume deflector was low , ladder was a little twisted and footpad socket should be white .
Ascent stage is up next and I’ll post more comprehensive construction photographs. 

IMG_0628.jpeg

IMG_0625.jpeg

IMG_0590.jpeg

IMG_0588.jpeg

IMG_0585.jpeg

IMG_0581.jpeg

IMG_0575.jpeg

IMG_0582.jpeg

IMG_0573.jpeg

IMG_0572.jpeg

IMG_0570.jpeg

IMG_0571.jpeg

IMG_0561.jpeg

IMG_0560.jpeg

IMG_0500.jpeg

IMG_0508.jpeg

IMG_0510.jpeg

IMG_0503.jpeg

IMG_0514.jpeg

IMG_0518.jpeg

IMG_0527.jpeg

IMG_0531.jpeg

IMG_0529.jpeg

IMG_0534.jpeg

IMG_0541.jpeg

IMG_0611.jpeg

IMG_0573.jpeg

IMG_0620.jpeg

IMG_0603.jpeg

IMG_0558.jpeg

Edited by snichols
On 6/14/2023 at 9:05 AM, Curt B said:

Utterly fabulous!!!!

Thank you so much!

Here’s an update with the Ascent stage, I’ve built LM ‘s before but the attempts fell far short and as I said I wanted to finally dedicate myself to building one correctly so I’ll show what I’ve accomplished.

I didn’t want to use the printed colored paper patterns provided by Vincent  for the ascent stage shingles as I’ve done in the past so I used plastic sheet dimpled with the rivet patterns taken from Vincent’s coatings guide. The foil that outlines each panel worried me simply because BMF doesn’t stick all that well so I had to make  sure the joints fit together precisely while still maintaining the wrinkled appearance of each shingle. I used CA directly in the center of each panel to tack it in place then carefully secured the rest of each panel using CA and a toothpick. 

Next up was the color dilemma,  so Testors acryl flat gull gray was mixed with Tamiya sky and when I tried Tamiya semi gloss for the correct sheen afterwards it only made it more dull. To get the correct semi gloss sheen visible on the anodized aluminum I had to use Krylon  acrylic gloss clear  with each  rivet being painted with a toothpick. 

IMG_0630.jpeg

IMG_0631.jpeg

IMG_0640.jpeg

IMG_0650.jpeg

IMG_0662.jpeg

IMG_0668.jpeg

IMG_0669.jpeg

IMG_0679.jpeg

IMG_0682.jpeg

IMG_0687.jpeg

IMG_0693.jpeg

IMG_0694.jpeg

Edited by snichols

I was able to place the 5 mil Kapton on the underside of the midsection and start working on the aft section shingles . I also completed  thermal coverings around the RCS quads but still haven’t finished painting rivets on the aft section shingles. 

IMG_0764.jpeg

IMG_0763.jpeg

IMG_0762.jpeg

IMG_0760.jpeg

IMG_0757.jpeg

IMG_0753.jpeg

IMG_0751.jpeg

Edited by snichols

Just a small update on the ascent stage panel application and I’am not having fun , I take one step forward and two steps back . I started building models with my dad who was also a builder about 59 years ago with my all time favorites being the 48th scale Revell Mercury and Gemini kits issued in the mid 60’s. 

If anyone has any questions feel free and thanks all for looking . Time to start work  on the commanders window and docking window ,I’am not sure If I’ll etch the landing point designator alignment marks and the docking alignment marks or use decals , I have an old ALPS printer .

IMG_0769.jpeg

IMG_0770.jpeg

IMG_0774.jpeg

IMG_0778.jpeg

IMG_0779.jpeg

IMG_0784.jpeg

IMG_0799.jpeg

IMG_0806.jpeg

IMG_0809.jpeg

IMG_0815.jpeg

IMG_0822.jpeg

IMG_0823.jpeg

IMG_0825.jpeg

IMG_0824.jpeg

IMG_0830.jpeg

IMG_0827.jpeg

IMG_0829.jpeg

IMG_0828.jpeg

IMG_0826.jpeg

IMG_0835.jpeg

IMG_0817.jpeg

Edited by snichols

The solution you've used for the LM ascent stage panels is very effective - the thickness of the plasticard seems to look just right. The plasticard holds the wrinkles nicely and I like how you are able to do the riveting. Undoubtedly time consuming, but very realistic result. Look forward to seeing the finished model. 

Are the panels scaled as per the diagram or have you slightly oversized them? Looks like fidely work.

Thanks for sharing - Ret

On 7/1/2023 at 9:11 PM, Ret said:

The solution you've used for the LM ascent stage panels is very effective - the thickness of the plasticard seems to look just right. The plasticard holds the wrinkles nicely and I like how you are able to do the riveting. Undoubtedly time consuming, but very realistic result. Look forward to seeing the finished model. 

Are the panels scaled as per the diagram or have you slightly oversized them? Looks like fidely work.

Thanks for sharing - Ret

Thank you Ret, sorry for the delayed response as I was immersed in reticle making. The panels are scaled the same  as Vincent’s patterns however there was an occasional enlargement of  one to get a precise fit between them . I didn’t want a large gap in between as that would make the application of the foil tape difficult. 

My ALPS printer works no more but I was up for the challenge of etching the reticle just like crackerjazz did for his build so after many attempts this is what I was able to accomplish. Etching the landing point designator alignment and docking alignment reticles was actually easy, getting two identical pieces was the difficult part. I also found that if I didn’t look directly at the plastic and sort of angled the piece  while etching I could see precisely what and where I was leaving marks. I couldn’t etch individual numbers on the reticles but I think I’ve achieved the correct visual for it. 

I’ve always kind of viewed the ascent stage as a face so now the eyes are done 😎.

IMG_0847.jpeg

IMG_0846.jpeg

IMG_0845.jpeg

IMG_0856.jpeg

IMG_0852.jpeg

IMG_0854.jpeg

IMG_0862.jpeg

IMG_0850.jpeg

IMG_0853.jpeg

IMG_0851.jpeg

IMG_0864.jpeg

IMG_0865.jpeg

IMG_0866.jpeg

Edited by snichols
On 7/4/2023 at 10:39 AM, SpacecraftGuy said:

That is astonishingly fine work! Good eye, amazing hand. I am in awe of that. 

Thank you so much it really means a lot from a fellow builder . 

Long day at work but before I went in I was able to complete some items (mistakes😜)earlier so now’s the perfect time to post some progress pictures and unwind.I ordered most of the interior because I’am going to have Neil just as he’s starting to egress from the ascent stage prior to deploying MESA and currently converting a figure by Max Greuter . One thing I’am quite familiar with is the A7LB as I was fortunate enough to contribute to Karl Dodenhoff’s book on spacesuits so this should be interesting to see if I can make this look right and I’ll depict the EV A7LB PGA .

Currently there are a few round fasteners around the windows that need to be square that I will correct with bare metal foil . 

‘Thanks all for looking. 

IMG_0912.jpeg

IMG_0913.jpeg

IMG_0910.jpeg

IMG_0909.jpeg

IMG_0903.jpeg

IMG_0902.jpeg

IMG_0875.jpeg

IMG_0859.jpeg

IMG_0896.jpeg

IMG_0893.jpeg

IMG_0898.jpeg

IMG_0904.jpeg

IMG_0905.jpeg

IMG_0895.jpeg

IMG_0891.jpeg

Edited by snichols

The hatch and surrounding area was a model in itself and it was hard to replicate the fiberglass color and pattern on the right side half circle panel so I used Vincent’s printed part for that . 
The last picture shows the tracking light that is frosted ultra detail, I scribed the cage then polished the surface with a micro mark polishing kit followed by a wash then gloss coat. To help with the transparent surface of the light I finished it by painting the back chrome silver. 

IMG_0945.jpeg

IMG_0943.jpeg

IMG_0940.jpeg

IMG_0934.jpeg

IMG_0926.jpeg

IMG_0933.jpeg

IMG_0925.jpeg

IMG_0924.jpeg

IMG_0947.jpeg

IMG_0949.jpeg

Edited by snichols

Absolutely spectacular work...I'm loving all the photos.  As an Apollo geek from my childhood (born in 1958). I knew a LOT  more about the Apollo spacecraft than anyone I knew, but realizing, as an adult, how little I actually knew.  Watching your build continues my Apollo education...thank you!!

That is simply a beautiful build. Your finish work is simply perfect and amazing. If you don't mind. what is the orangey/brown foil that you're using on some of the LM panels. I know Vincent recommended a particular kind of coffee storage bag on his site a few years ago, but pretty much all of his recommended foils have vanished from the face of the earth. I'm about to download his stl files for this particular model (no printer yet, but someday?), and I'd love to start tracking down some of his supplies in case that someday ever comes. Loving watching all these incredible builds on ARC. Thanks!

On 6/8/2023 at 5:22 PM, snichols said:

Vincent really makes this build easy with his step by step instructions and available patterns online, I can’t imagine scratchbuilding the entire model like he did.

I found Vincent’s site (I think?) but have failed to find the surface patterns and instructions. Could you please post a direct link to these?  Thanks!

On 7/15/2023 at 10:38 PM, crackerjazz said:

Following your progress with interest.  You're doing an amazing job! : )

Thank you so much, coming from such an accomplished builder as yourself comments like this  keep me going. I must thank you for posting your LM progress here as it has helped me in so many ways with this build and I couldn’t have accomplished this without some of your techniques. Time to start yours again maybe , you’ve inspired me. 

On 7/16/2023 at 3:26 PM, Curt B said:

Absolutely spectacular work...I'm loving all the photos.  As an Apollo geek from my childhood (born in 1958). I knew a LOT  more about the Apollo spacecraft than anyone I knew, but realizing, as an adult, how little I actually knew.  Watching your build continues my Apollo education...thank you!!

Thanks, expert I’am not as you’ve no doubt seen some of my past efforts here 😜

13 hours ago, SpacecraftGuy said:

That is simply a beautiful build. Your finish work is simply perfect and amazing. If you don't mind. what is the orangey/brown foil that you're using on some of the LM panels. I know Vincent recommended a particular kind of coffee storage bag on his site a few years ago, but pretty much all of his recommended foils have vanished from the face of the earth. I'm about to download his stl files for this particular model (no printer yet, but someday?), and I'd love to start tracking down some of his supplies in case that someday ever comes. Loving watching all these incredible builds on ARC. Thanks!

Thank you for your support and interest in this build and I’d be glad to share the information on the foil product I used for that application. Confectionary House is the place and I’ll include a picture of the sku because I was to lazy to write it down. 

12 hours ago, habu2 said:

I found Vincent’s site (I think?) but have failed to find the surface patterns and instructions. Could you please post a direct link to these?  Thanks!

Not sure how to link with my tablet but you have to go to the construction page at Shapeways and under the descent stage there are two coating patterns , 1/32d and 24th scale I’ll ask my better half how to link. 

Anyway here’s a small update, I tried an an area of foiling around the ascent stage panels to get an idea of how it would go and then UPS came by with some cockpit parts😩. For those building a LM DO NOT follow the sequence here with the interior construction as it should have been completed first and not as an afterthought. I also didn’t purchase all the  interior parts that I should  have so I had  to do some scratch building . I’am not doing a full blown interior just enough so that when you look inside the windows you’ll see some internal components and not black space. 
 Last picture of the AOT shows it painted but it needs to be tweaked so that’s not the finished product. 

IMG_1051.jpeg

IMG_1019.jpeg

IMG_0996.jpeg

IMG_0999.jpeg

IMG_1001.jpeg

IMG_1002.jpeg

IMG_1008.jpeg

IMG_1005.jpeg

IMG_1003.jpeg

IMG_0998.jpeg

IMG_0997.jpeg

IMG_1029.jpeg

IMG_1038.jpeg

IMG_1045.jpeg

IMG_1044.jpeg

IMG_1056.jpeg

IMG_1047.jpeg

IMG_1058.jpeg

Edited by snichols
23 hours ago, habu2 said:

I think this is it:

https://spacemodels.nuxit.net/1-32 LM/index.htm

18 hours ago, snichols said:

Confectionary House is the place and I’ll include a picture of the sku because I was to lazy to write it down. 

Thanks! I never would have guessed burgundy! And, d'oh! - just received a package of silver, black and golds from Confectioner's House last week. Tried their red or orange-gold, too, but it's indistinguishable from their gold gold. Well, there will always be a next time. Thank the gods for K2Pete! (And just downloaded Vincent's 1/32 ascent stage this morning, along with Max's three freebie astronauts. Next month's modelling budget will go to the descent stage. Now all I have to go is get a printer.)

18 hours ago, snichols said:

I’am not doing a full blown interior just enough so that when you look inside the windows you’ll see some internal components and not black space. 

If you're planning on opening the hatch, beware. You'd be surprised by just how much you can see of the interior of the cabin, even in 1/48 scale. Here's as far as I got on interior the ascent stage of my 1/24 build. Horrible photo. I'll have to dig it the thing of storage where it's been languishing and guilting me for years. Had the fwd section of the cabin boxed up ready for details, which is where I ran out of steam. On the descent stage, got as far as roughing up the landing gear. The brass netting were the first pieces of photetch I ever made. Peversely, that batch remains the most successful batch of photo-etch I ever made. So much for practice...  

IMG_1215.JPG

Edited by SpacecraftGuy