A-10C Flap Actuation Mechanisms/Hardware?

Okay, all, I promise this will be my LAST question bothering you regarding the A-10C I'm starting to build.  I have the newish Academy 1/48 kit, and I am going to show the air/speed brakes deployed (the ejector pin holes aren't nearly as deep or difficult to fill and smooth out as I've read, at least they weren't for me), but I'd really like to have the flaps fully deployed as well.  Honestly, it looks like it should be an easy thing to do; instead of positioning the flaps so that the holes in the flaps line up with the pins on the inside of the upper wing, I could just slide the flaps backwards, and glue them slightly drooped, so that they look like photos of deployed flaps in photos.  However, I am wondering if there is any visible actuating hardware/mechanisms that can be seen inside the wing from the bottom looking up when the flaps are extended.  I have searched for any photos of such hardware (even walk-arounds) without any success.  Of course, I'm sure you guys will point out obvious places to look that I should have figured out on my own...  But any help would be appreciated!    

Edited by Curt B
10 hours ago, Curt B said:

... I am going to show the air/speed brakes deployed ... but I'd really like to have the flaps fully deployed as well.  

Nice combination -- as after landing?

1903359874_A-10CAfterLanding.thumb.jpg.f8419eca7314234b13c2b6c476e623ee.jpg

Gene K

You really need to get yourself Jake Melampy's "The Modern Hog Guide, 2nd edition, The A-10 Warthog Exposed", worth the money.

I think shots of what you're looking for will be hard to find, unless you can find some good closeup landing shots. If I remember correctly the flaps would only be set down during the startup sequence prior to taxiing for takeoff, during landing and, while in chocks briefly for the crew chief's visual inspection. They would be raised after that before the aircraft shut down.

The speed brakes would open during startup for a visual inspection to make sure they were operating correctly then close prior to taxiing, just after landing and, they would open briefly, back on the ramp in chocks, then close up before the aircraft shut down.

Steve

2 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

You really need to get yourself Jake Melampy's "The Modern Hog Guide, 2nd edition, The A-10 Warthog Exposed", worth the money.

I think shots of what you're looking for will be hard to find, unless you can find some good closeup landing shots. If I remember correctly the flaps would only be set down during the startup sequence prior to taxiing for takeoff, during landing and, while in chocks briefly for the crew chief's visual inspection. They would be raised after that before the aircraft shut down.

The speed brakes would open during startup for a visual inspection to make sure they were operating correctly then close prior to taxiing, just after landing and, they would open briefly, back on the ramp in chocks, then close up before the aircraft shut down.

Steve

Thank you, sir!  I’ll look into the book, and thanks for the info on the conditions when the plane is in the configuration I’m contemplating.  

1 minute ago, Red Dog said:

It's pretty clean, just two long rods per flaps as can be seen in the attachment

A10C_popup_270.png

Oh my goodness, Red Dog!!!!  That's EXACTLY the kind of photo I have been looking for!!!  Wahoo!  That picture gives me both the mechanisms and the amount of extension and droop of the flaps when deployed!!!  Perfect, perfect, perfect!!  Thanks a million!  And I have ordered the Jake Melampy book, which I will certainly use as I continue to build, paint and weather my A-10C.  Thanks to all of you who have indulged me ☺️  

went on google yesterday and typed in A-10 flap mechanisms got a lot of drawings but they did have photos of the aircraft showing open flaps.

You do realize that now I'll have to buy this kit so I can use all the info I have. So much for my tanks.

Hope it helps

Bernie

9 hours ago, berniemckenna said:

went on google yesterday and typed in A-10 flap mechanisms got a lot of drawings but they did have photos of the aircraft showing open flaps.

You do realize that now I'll have to buy this kit so I can use all the info I have. So much for my tanks.

Hope it helps

Bernie

You are correct, sir!  I knew that as soon as I asked for help, you guys would find stuff I should have found without bothering you.  Sorry to have made it so that you have to spend money and buy/build a kit you had no intention of doing!  I think you'll like it, though.

18 hours ago, Curt B said:

Sorry to have made it so that you have to spend money and buy/build a kit you had no intention of doing!  

He just needed a compelling "excuse", right Bernie? :rolleyes:

Gene K

On 6/10/2023 at 10:09 AM, A-10 LOADER said:

[the speed brakes would open] just after landing and, they would open briefly, back on the ramp in chocks, then close up before the aircraft shut down.

The speed brakes were "cracked open " in the landing configuration (there is no cockpit indicator, so a count of three one-hundreds was about right) Reason for the deployment is that in case a go around is required, retracting the speed brakes gives an instant increase in thrust ... while the slow spooling engines come back up to full speed.

A-10-landing-4.jpg?w=706&ssl=1

On normal landing, the speed brakes are deployed to full open after touchdown to provide aerodynamic braking ... if required. 

7573966%20(1).jpg

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
On 6/11/2023 at 1:03 AM, Red Dog said:

You won't be disappointed with the book. I really could not imagine building any A-10 without it

I just got my 'Modern HOG Guide, 2nd Edition' book.  You sure were right, the book is SPECTACULAR!!!!!!  Every page filled with bright, clear, color photos, and appropriately detailed text to explain the pictures when appropriate.  I understand, now, your comment about not building an A-10 without it.  This book will be absolutely invaluable.  Anybody reading this who does not have this book, and wants to build an A-10 model, should have this.  Really!

On 6/13/2023 at 2:43 PM, GeneK said:

7573966%20(1).jpg

This is an interesting photo, which I'm looking at after prior repeated views.  I just struck me that this is the first picture I've seen where there is a definite bluish cast to the paint.  If I were going to use this photo as an aid in painting and detailing my A-10, I would absolutely say that paint MRP-038 is spot-on as far as color goes.  I've been thinking that MRP-038 was overly blue, but perhaps not.  Of course, as I always remind myself, photos viewed on a computer monitor are always subject to interpretation, and do not necessarily reflect real life color as perceived by the human eye.  I've already painted the front part of the engine cowls on my A-10C with MRP-038, and was thinking of painting over those areas with AK Real Color paint, which does not, to my eyes, have any blue cast at all, but now I'm not so sure...

Edited by Curt B
17 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

I'd say since you already painted the engine cowls just press on with the MRP.

Steve

You may have a point.  And since the Light Ghost Grey color is, by far, the smaller area on the plane, maybe I should do that.  Thanks for the thought!

By the way, in case anyone else has the same question I had, about the A-10C flaps actuating hardware, the Jake Melampy book, 'The Modern Hog Guide', page 88, has pictures that show EXACTLY what I was looking for, in detail!

Edited by Curt B

I just painted the wings of my 1/32 A-10 and I wanted to test the contrats between FS336375 an 36320 in the MRP range (038 and 097

Here's the result:

A10C_popup_271.png

Only the wings, the nose is left unpainted

I'm happy with the result the MRP gives, but I'll sure test other ranges as well

(look at the color variation from left and right wing. It's the same MRP-097 but the ambiant light changes its hue)

Wow, great result!  Wonderful looking wings!  The contrast looks to be very similar to the real plane, which, at least from what I've seen in photos, is quite minimal.  That is one area that the AK Real Colors (Light versus Dark Ghost Grey) do NOT seem to do as realistically...the contrast between the AK colors is far more significant, which, again to my eyes, is less realistic than your photo shows for the MRP paints.  Maybe I will stay with MRP LOL  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 7/4/2023 at 12:59 PM, Norm DUbay said:

The flaps have only one hydraulic push/pull rod in the middle.  There are tracks on either of the flaps to keep them from skewing.

Thanks, Norm...hadn't seen your  response until now  I agree with you, especially after getting the Jake Melampy book and seeing the photos there.  I've been distracted, and haven't finished my A-10C yet, but I've modified the flaps to have a single actuating  rod in the center of each flap.