Revell F-18E Super Hornet in 1/48

I have to say, this kit, in my opinion, has to be one of the worst kits I have tried to fit up. I have never had to use as much putty as I did on this one. Maybe it's me and my modeling skills need to be improved. I have been building models since I was a little kid, now 53. Was very disapointed with how it went together and how everything lined up. Ended up buying the Hasegawa kit. I built a Hasegawa F-18F with zero issues in fitup and hardly any putty was used. Sorry, just venting

Jeff

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

Yeah, its not you. I built it once.......Once. No longer worthy to be on the shelf and was given away some time ago.

I have the 1/32 scale version of the same jet from Revell. Wonder if i will run into the same issues as the 1/48 version

4 minutes ago, Raptor.777 said:

image.thumb.png.f3811867d5a9d11e6973cc3570ef2a3a.pnghow hard would it be to put these in the a hasegawa f-18 e kit?

These are the late style ECS vents. Said kit uses early style vents. Decals i want to use show these vents. Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks

Jeff

8 hours ago, Raptor.777 said:

I have the 1/32 scale version of the same jet from Revell. Wonder if i will run into the same issues as the 1/48 version

Yes same issues for fit, if you look in the kit there should be a sheet that tells you what bulkheads to trim.

Don

3 minutes ago, DONG said:

Yes same issues for fit, if you look in the kit there should be a sheet that tells you what bulkheads to trim.

Don

Thanks Don, appreciate it. Going to do the Hasegawa kit first. Will look into the 1/32 scale kit this weekend on what you were talking about

Thanks

Jeff

10 hours ago, Raptor.777 said:

They are for the hasegawa kit. I just have never done something like that.

Jeff

The best way to learn and improve your builds is to try.

On 7/12/2023 at 8:34 PM, Raptor.777 said:

I have to say, this kit, in my opinion, has to be one of the worst kits I have tried to fit up. I have never had to use as much putty as I did on this one. Maybe it's me and my modeling skills need to be improved. I have been building models since I was a little kid, now 53. Was very disapointed with how it went together and how everything lined up. Ended up buying the Hasegawa kit. I built a Hasegawa F-18F with zero issues in fitup and hardly any putty was used. Sorry, just venting

Jeff

I've built a couple of 1/48 Revell Super Hornets and they do have their issues but I'm happy with the way they turned out.  I used the Wolfpack flaps down set for the F.

20230714_113808.jpg

20230714_113742.jpg

2 hours ago, Raptor.777 said:

Thanks. I am leaning towards that way

I’ve sanded them before and to get it thin enough to look right I sanded too thin and had a hole to deal with.  The last two Hasegawa kits (now using Meng that has them) I cut a hole roughy 3/4 the size of the pipes in the fuselage area and started sanding and whittling with a blade and basically dropped them in. Took a few minutes but it looked better IMO than the sanded and glued on top. Good luck 

7 hours ago, habu2 said:

I had read online reviews that said the 1/32 kit was a nightmare but I thought the 1/48 kit was typical of other recent Revell/Monogram kits?

Revell’s 1/48 kit was pretty much typical of what they were producing ~ 20 years ago when it first came out.  As someone noted, some fiddling required with the nose fit but overall it’s not bad. The biggest gripe when it came out was that the leading and trailing edge flaps were molded “up”,  and I seem to recall that some were unhappy with the shape of the spine but I didn’t see anything that put me off building it.

While not horrible, Revell's Super Hornets were a big disappointment. Everyone was expecting the quality of the Strike Eagle, Sabre Dog, Thunderjet, and Helldiver. What we got was something much less. Not horrible, just not what it could/should have been. Revell took the cheap way out on that project and never really recovered.