Bolo F-4C, Tamiya 1/32nd

Using Tamiya's 1/32 F-4C/D, I chose to build Robin Olds' BOLO Phantom.  I'm building it inflight, so I couldn't hide the problematic intakes with FOD covers.  I went with GT resin intakes and Wolfpack exhaust.  Much more work than anticipated.  Not quite sure how to mount the burner tubes inside the fuselage, instructions are far from clear on any of it.  Now I wish I had gone a different route, a Phantom on the flight line.  Oh well, here is some progress.  If anyone has used the GT Resin intakes, or the Wolfpack burners please chime in...... 

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally some progress on this project. I originally planned on using GT Resin's slick radome but the fit wasn't great so I modified the kit radome.  Also experimented with the crackling effect on the radomes. This is an inflight display so gear doors are closed.  I was quite pleased on how little work it took to close up the gear doors.  A little work was involved to install the GT Resin intakes but overall they look good....enough.  

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

On 9/11/2023 at 9:53 AM, GeneK said:

Lookin' REALLY great, Boom.

I think if I were your GIB, I'd raise my seat.:hmmm:

Gene K

Thanks. Yeah, I can't raise him at all because the canopy won't clear his head, so this must have been an oops on the engineering. 

A bit more progress.  I need some help figuring out the location of the centerline tank. It's my understanding in '67 they were using the Royal Jet 600 gallon centerline tank?  As we all know, Tamiya did not include a centerline tank in the kit.  Finding one isn't a problem, I could either use the one in my Academy E kit or use GT Resin's version.  If someone could help me out with correct location of the mounting of the tank I would appreciate it greatly.  Also, being a BOLO aircraft, it will be carrying the ALQ pod, can I just remove one of the pylons from the outboard drop tank, or is it a different pylon?  Any help is appreciated. 

image0 - Copy (70).jpeg

image1 - Copy (65).jpeg

image0 - Copy (69).jpeg

image1 - Copy (64).jpeg

9 hours ago, Boomstick said:

... it will be carrying the ALQ pod, can I just remove one of the pylons from the outboard drop tank, or is it a different pylon? 

A very different pylon! In USAF 1x1 use, the tank and pylon are an integrated unit, whereas the outboard weapons pylon has a different shape (deeper) and is mounted at an angle. The usual outstanding Tommy Thomason detail is here. There's also a good model discussion here, but it's for the excellent Hypersonic 1/48 version. In 1/32, there's the GT resin set  (which I have not seen, but reviews can (of course) be Googled).

Hopefully Hypersonic Jeffrey will comment. Unfortunately he doesn't do 1/32.

As an aside, you mentioned modelling the kit as being in flight. In that regard, to be technically correct, you should raise the ailerons (that you have drooped - a condition that only exists if there's no hydraulic pressure on the aircraft). Alternately, you could just raise one (as in starting a turn), but then the opposing spoiler should be raised ... not feasible, I think, because your wings are already so beautifully finished.

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
1 hour ago, GeneK said:

A very different pylon! In USAF 1x1 use, the tank and pylon are an integrated unit, whereas the outboard weapons pylon has a different shape (deeper) and is mounted at an angle. The usual outstanding Tommy Thomason detail is here. There's also a good model discussion here, but it's for the excellent Hypersonic 1/48 version. In 1/32, there's the GT resin set  (which I have not seen, but reviews can (of course) be Googled).

Hopefully Hypersonic Jeffrey will comment. Unfortunately he doesn't do 1/32.

As an aside, you mentioned modelling the kit as being in flight. In that regard, to be technically correct, you should raise the ailerons (that you have drooped - a condition that only exists if there's no hydraulic pressure on the aircraft). Alternately, you could just raise one (as in starting a turn), but then the opposing spoiler should be raised ... not feasible, I think, because your wings are already so beautifully finished.

Gene K

Thanks for the response Gene.  As for the ailerons are just in place to check camo pattern, they will be installed in flight position.  

On 9/16/2023 at 8:20 PM, Boomstick said:

…It's my understanding in '67 they were using the Royal Jet 600 gallon centerline tank?  As we all know, Tamiya did not include a centerline tank in the kit.  Finding one isn't a problem, I could either use the one in my Academy E kit or use GT Resin's version.  If someone could help me out with correct location of the mounting of the tank I would appreciate it greatly.  Also, being a BOLO aircraft, it will be carrying the ALQ pod, can I just remove one of the pylons from the outboard drop tank, or is it a different pylon?  Any help is appreciated. 

Hi Broomstick,

You’re correct about the Royal Jet tank. There were at least a couple of variations of this tank: the “all welded” type adopted by the USN and a partially welded “nested” design used by the USAF, the latter distinguishable by its longitudinal seal bar. The overall shape and dimensions are identical however. Tamiya does include a USN style tank (all welded variant) in their F-4J boxings. I have a spare and would be happy to send it your way (along with instructions on how to mount it). 

The outboard pylons present a bit of a dilemma, as GeneK points out. The best options are to go with the GT Resin parts or to modify the USN style pylons that Tamiya include in their USMC boxing of the Phantom. If you choose the latter, I can again help you out with the extra parts. 

PM me if you’re interested. In any case, keep up the great work on your Bolo Bird. It’s a real stunner!

Rich

Edited by RichB63
  • 4 weeks later...